Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rapid scrolling in older games

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So I really hope this is a noob question and there's some obvious, easily accessible solution I don't know about, but how are you guys dealing with old games scrolling way too fast when running on win7 or win10 pc?

There are basically 3 groups of games that have this problem:

1. DOS games, like Fantasy General. For these you can lower CPU cycles in dosbox and while it's not a perfect solution it works to certain extent and makes the game playable.
2. Old windows games, like Panzer General 2, that scroll fine when you run them fullscreen. But since I hate how the lower resolutions scale on bigger screens (even though I have an old 1024x768 one for oldfag gaming), I like running them in their native res windowed using ddraw tool and then the scrolling problem appears.
3. Old windows games that boot and run fine, but have the scrolling problem no matter what, for example classic 2d C&Cs like both Red Alerts.

I mean, you can cope using minimap, but its ehh and kills my mojo.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Use a framecapping tool like RTSS. Drivers nowadays have framecapping/limiting functionality too, but i've found RTSS to be better at it.

If RTSS doesn't work for whatever reason try to use dgVoodoo2 (assuming old ddraw/d3d7 or earlier game) and it should work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom