Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rat Diplomacy 2: Fish Cannot Carry Guns

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another point that I don't like in webdiplomacy is that you can't enter illegal moves at all. Being able to claim you messed up your orders accidentally is imho an essential element in this game.
Meh. You can still enter wrong orders and claim you messed up and this also makes you more likely to mess up accidentally, but I take your point.
Also I don't like that everyone can see when I was online the last time and all that. I want to be able to pretend "oh, I haven't looked at the turn yet" to halt negotiations without rising suspicion.
That can be solved by making the game anonymous.

Eadee

Scholar
Also I don't like that everyone can see when I was online the last time and all that. I want to be able to pretend "oh, I haven't looked at the turn yet" to halt negotiations without rising suspicion.
That can be solved by making the game anonymous.
Which is not favoured by me. Have a look at the Rat Diplomacy I thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...1-the-great-betrayal-“et-tu-sqeecoo-”.108546/
With all those battle reports open accusations and the open identification with the nation you got. No such thread would be possible in an anonymous game, also communication via skype or personal messages in the forums wouldn't work. And the interface of webdiplomacy doesn't allow much content other than text in your messages.

An anonymous game brings much more problems than it solves, and if you look at the thread of the first game and compare it to the one of this game, you might see that there was much more life in it. And I honestly think it is mainly because of the different site we played on this time.

Projas

Patron
With all those battle reports open accusations and the open identification with the nation you got. No such thread would be possible in an anonymous game, also communication via skype or personal messages in the forums wouldn't work.
Post who's playing which country in the thread. That's hardly an insurmountable problem.

And I honestly think it is mainly because of the different site we played on this time.
Half the players kept forgeting to submit their moves, that's not an issue of a site. You can't expect the accompanying thread to be alive when the game barely is.

Eadee

Scholar
And I honestly think it is mainly because of the different site we played on this time.
Half the players kept forgeting to submit their moves, that's not an issue of a site. You can't expect the accompanying thread to be alive when the game barely is.
Oh trust me, it is.
I needet to kick sqeecoos ass every single turn to submit something or at least anything for a whole while, until he gave up. At some point I just stopped to bothering him because I felt the same qay about this whole interface. And as I told already, I almost left the game as well because of it.

I'm not 100% sure about Russia, but I think sqeecoo told me something like it was the reason he dropped out too.

To be fair, yes. The interface was responsible for the game dying, and the game dying was responsible for the thread dying. I missed to name that first step.

With all those battle reports open accusations and the open identification with the nation you got. No such thread would be possible in an anonymous game, also communication via skype or personal messages in the forums wouldn't work.
Post who's playing which country in the thread. That's hardly an insurmountable problem.
No it is not, but it still is a problem. And solving one problem by creating another is just not worth the effort if you can simply play on a different plattform that doesn't have the problem in the first place.

Projas

Patron
Alright, I can't really comprehend quitting a game of diplomacy because you don't like the interface, but I'll take your word for it. I suggested we switch to webdip and people seemed to be fine with it, I wouldn't push for it if the majority didn't want to play there. If everyone wants to switch back to playdiplomacy for the next game, I'm fine with that.

Tigranes

Arcane
I can reveal now that I had concocted an almost failproof (i.e. as failproof as diplo plans get) strategy for Turkey to pre-emptively stab Russia and screw him over in a single turn, with the nearly dead Italy acting as the crucial extra weight - but sadly, the prune-hearted fellows in Istanbul could not into boldness! :obviously:

I expected Turkey would end up one of the winners after Austria imploded and I ended up the loser of that implosion, but cool to see France survived after some totally weird moves in the middle.

Eadee

Scholar
I don't know why, but I always find the player who gets Italy the most fishy one. No matter how much I know the guy beforehand. I think the game is just designed that way that noone can trust Italy.

But Tigranes did an excellent job and almost convinced me to trust him... almost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom