Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

V_K

Arcane
You're not talking about Elysian Fields above, are you?
No, the game I'm thinking about was running in the same graphics mode as The Quest and had a very similar color palette. I tried looking through the games package on archive.org but didn't find it.
Dark Disciples and Dark Disciples II. They were both available as freeware, but the original website no longer exists. Now they're available on this abandonware site:
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/dark-disciples-43a
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/dark-disciples-2-43b

And also on this CRPG development blog (only Dark Disciples II):
http://ancient-architects.com/?page_id=225
Which also hosts two modules created with the game's editor, one made by the game's dev and one made by the guy running the blog:
http://ancient-architects.com/?page_id=117

Screenshots:
609374-dark-disciples-2-windows-screenshot-guard.jpg

609379-dark-disciples-2-windows-screenshot-bloody-fight.jpg

DarkDisciples2+2013-08-09+14-30-54-98.bmp

Excelsior Phase One and Excelsior Phase Two.
Decent Ultima clones that are still sold for a ridiculously high price at the devs' website.
http://www.excelsior-rpg.com/ex2.htm
Fun fact: the game is actually cheaper on itch.io than on the devs' own site, lol
https://excelsior-rpg.itch.io/excelsior-phase-two-lysandia

Shareware version is free to download and try out. Haven't tried it yet, but the screenshots look decent.

ex1scr1.gif

ex1scr8.gif

ex2scr8.gif

ex2scr1.gif

ex2scr4.gif

ex2scr6.gif
Both have long been present in the obscure indies thread :smug:
Excelsiors aren't terribly exciting games, like very simplified Ultimas.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, their New Centurions game looks really cool due to its setting, but there's nothing about it anywhere. It's pretty much just gone.
A damn shame, really wanted to try this one. The same is for the similar looking Jewel of Arabia: Dreamers(pretty sure someone already posted it in this thread), though the thing that prevents me from trying the latter one is a microissue with an old mac emulator.
Which means that i couldn't try the new centurions even if i found it.
I will add my own despairing cheese man, if no one minds :negative:

Max Edge

Game from Czech. Hack'n'Slash with many classes, cute art style, swearing, and two different OST (Metal and Classical). Sadly, there is one problem - no mouse menu, everything is chosen by keyboard with really strange hot keys.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I recently discovered one of the most obscure game devs ever, apparently. Found an interesting-looking RPG on mobygames, googled it, after some searching found the website of the creator... and it turns out the guy has produced about 20 RPGs between the late 80s and mid 00s.

I present to you, the German game developer known as Motelsoft:

http://www.motelsoft.de/motelsoftfeng.html

All games freely downloadable as freeware. Atari ST games, DOS games, and Windows games.

Plenty of Dungeon Master clones like Seven Little Horrors:
sevenlh3.jpg

sevenlh2.jpg

Sandor:
sandor11.jpg

sandor15.jpg

Sandor 2:
sandor21.jpg

sandor26.jpg

Projekt Terra:
pt1.jpg

pt3.jpg

Darkstone Ritual:
darksr1.jpg

darksr4.jpg

darksr8.jpg

Arcan:
arcanst2.jpg

arcanst4.jpg

Walls of Illusion:
walls2.jpg

walls3.jpg

Escape from Ragor:
escape2.jpg

Megrims Rache:
megrim1.jpg

Darkside of the Sun Trilogy:
dsun1_2.jpg

dsun1_10.jpg

dsun2_5.jpg

dsun2_4.jpg

dsun1_5.jpg

Trauma:
trauma1r.jpg

Darkstone:
darksto4.jpg

darksto3.jpg

darksto10.jpg

Die Schwarzen Reiter:
dsr6.jpg

dsr10.jpg

dsr12.jpg

The later games by Motelsoft aren't classic RPGs anymore, but FPS with stats, kinda like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. Except that the controls are pretty terrible.

Acid Moon:
am1.jpg

am5.jpg

am11.jpg

am14.jpg

Trauma 3D:
hor2.jpg

hor7.jpg

hor14.jpg

Ocean City Trilogy:
oc18.jpg

oc17.jpg

oc21.jpg

oc33.jpg

oc38.jpg

Wrong Turn:
wrong3.jpg

wrong5.jpg

wrong6.jpg

wrong12.jpg

And yes... all of these games were primarily made by one guy. And those are only the RPGs. There are plenty of puzzle games, strategy games, and pure action games without stats among his catalogue. Essentially, this guy was cranking out games non-stop between 1987 and 2006.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Dungeon Master clones seem decent enough, tried them out for a few minutes just to check.

The Deus Ex clones are... well, they're probably decent too but it takes a while to get used to their control scheme. I have only tried out the earliest of them though, maybe the later ones have a more reasonable control scheme than arrow keys to walk, DEL to jump, shift+DEL for a farther jump... :lol:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It really is impressive. One man company, and so resourceful. Clive Blakemore, learn and despair!

JarlFrank, you may have won the thread with this finding. That is what I call really fucking obscure stuff.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The majority of these games aren't even listed on Mobygames, haven't been on the cRPG addict's RPG master list until I told him about them (and that dude tries to be as comprehensive as possible), and aren't available anywhere other than the publisher's own website even though they were made officially freeware.

Good luck finding something more obscure! :D

Beowulf

Arcane
I guess you have to create your own game to beat that.
On that subject, Realms Beyond update when?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darkside of the Sun Trilogy:
dsun1_2.jpg

dsun1_10.jpg

And yes... all of these games were primarily made by one guy. And those are only the RPGs. There are plenty of puzzle games, strategy games, and pure action games without stats among his catalogue. Essentially, this guy was cranking out games non-stop between 1987 and 2006.

Amazing find Frank thanks so much, I will try out some games I really love old obscure RPGs lol.

Also the quoted screens... now that is a Lands of Lore 1 ripoff if I ever saw one :lol:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, today I downloaded and tried some of the games from motelsoft site.

AcidMoon, Ocean City, Wrong Turn, Trauma 3d.

They are basically 3d shooters with terrible graphics, minimal sound and no intros (not even some flavor text, to give you some aim or context). The theme of the first two is science fiction/cyberpunk, of the third one - campy vampires, of the last one - horror. Plus, they are only in German. Not that there is lots of talking or lore anyway.

I could not run the most promising one, the Dark Side, on my laptop with windows xp. I guess I may have to give it one more try...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
megrim1.jpg

Finally found the name, can't believe that I still remember that screenshot thread post (didn't post the name) in my lurking times (couldn't ask the poster itself cause he's long gone).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom