Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, so much for that. I tried starting Homeland.exe but it tells me an instance of Homeland is already running and it can't be started, when in fact it's not running.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The Storm Guard is a game I bought on Steam during a sale after it sat on my wishlist for a while. It's a decent game focused on turn based tactical combat.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/409910/The_Storm_Guard_Darkness_is_Coming/

Probably one of the less obscure games here since it actually has about 100 reviews. Still, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere even on the Codex.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...like-rpg-inspired-by-gots-night-watch.106616/

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, so much for that. I tried starting Homeland.exe but it tells me an instance of Homeland is already running and it can't be started, when in fact it's not running.

Unfortunately, I tried, but got the same message. I watched the avis with intro and outro and it looks terrible.

However, I was surprised to see the Spiderweb logo during installation. Did Jeff Vogel really had something to do with this shit?

V_K

Arcane

Unfortunately, I tried, but got the same message. I watched the avis with intro and outro and it looks terrible.

However, I was surprised to see the Spiderweb logo during installation. Did Jeff Vogel really had something to do with this shit?
Ah, that's why those screenshots look so familiar. Yes, Jeff published this, among with several other games: https://web.archive.org/web/20050405195755/http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/dragonlore/index.html.
The patches seem to be still accessible from the archived webpage, so maybe try them?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Does this count as obscure? (even if it isn't a CRPG)
FEAST OF LEGENDS

spinning_book.gif

spicy-chicken.png
wendys-vo2.png

Sooooo.... maybe a CRPG or MMORPG in the future?

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anything that's readily available on Steam or GoG doesn't qualify as "really obscure".

To be really obscure, it has to:
- only have a physical release, not digital, which is long out of print and can only be bought second hand
- be so indie it was only ever released on the developer's website, which is the only place you can buy it at
- so obscure that you can only find it on abandonware or piracy sites anymore, with no physical copies on ebay and the dev's website gone from the net

Also, it should only be playable on an abacus.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Anything that's readily available on Steam or GoG doesn't qualify as "really obscure".

To be really obscure, it has to:
- only have a physical release, not digital, which is long out of print and can only be bought second hand
- be so indie it was only ever released on the developer's website, which is the only place you can buy it at
- so obscure that you can only find it on abandonware or piracy sites anymore, with no physical copies on ebay and the dev's website gone from the net

Also, it should only be playable on an abacus.

And only when the moon is full.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I managed to get Hearkenwold to work on my new tablet. I wouldn't say this is all that obscure since its on the NWN forums but its goldbox - like so it seems obscure enough to me. Thanks to whomever pointed this game out before. I'm assuming the toolkits don't work on the tablet and are only PC as are the other modules. I guess.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not sure if this fully qualifies as a proper RPG, but it's definitely obscure and close enough to fit in this thread.

Behold... Shady O'Grady's Rising Star!

I found a reddit thread where the OP posted a download link to the game's full installer and a serial number, provided to him by the game's creator himself. Rather than link to the reddit thread I'll copypaste the message here for posterity:

This is a music tycoon game with many RPG and strategy elements.

After trying to get the demo to work for years, I emailed the creator and he gave me a free full working link of the game along with giving me permission to share so, why not here? Some people have expressed interest, I've already lost hours in this game. He's working on a new mobile version of the game, which sounds awesome.

http://www.gilligames.com/store/downloadqlfitmvcx84sdvoi/SOGRS_Install_1.12.exe Serial No: 183M-W208-R356-Y595

As far as I know, this is the only working copy I have ever been able to access. Enjoy.

It's basically a music band management game with character creation and stats. Mobygames lists it as an RPG so yeah, sure, let's run with it.

shady3_large.jpg

shady4_large.jpg

You got stats for your band members, equipment, clothing, etc.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
nectrotech.jpg

i played this years ago after reading the SA review. it's truly weapons-grade dogshit, but there are worse games; the game is *somewhat* serviceable if you find the last version of it, which had massively re-balanced combat so that you don't get pile-fucked by shirtless dweebs with guns after 2 minutes

edit:

you can download it here if you are tempted to give it a shot. it became freeware ages ago:

https://archive.org/details/necrotech_v1.4.2

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom