Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn! - now in COMBAT BETA

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    more like

'oh shit, do i use one of the 100 healing potions i've hoarded?

nah, i can make it, 3 hp left on all dudes are still good enough odds'

• Funny x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • Yes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Those bolded classes are psionic PrC. How do you plan to implement them without the base psionic classes like Psion and Psychic Warrior.

^ Top  
  3. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Psion is one of the base classes under consideration to be added later.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    i suggest tackling psion, psychic warrior and the psionic PrC in an expansion.

^ Top  
  5. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yeah, those classes cause so much additional work that it won't make into the initial release. At some point, we need to start selling the game and if everything goes well, there will be future enhancements such as the Psionic classes.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Sitra Achara Arcane Patron

Sitra Achara
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    On a related note - how will crafting be handled?
    In ToEE it always felt to me like scribing scrolls and crafting wands trivialized resource management.

^ Top  
  7. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    You can't abuse healing potions if there are no healing potions!

We've got potions for curing disease, removing poison, etc. But HP can only be restored by spells or by resting (and resting requires you to have the proper conditions - food and a good sleep; if your character is sick, hungry, or thirsty, or if it's too hot/cold/wet, resting won't restore as many HP as when you're having a good cooked meal and sleep in a cozy soft blanket).

Crafting only lets you create consumables: potions (not for HP), cooked food, bandages, arrows/bolts, etc.

Cooking is going to be an important skill for your characters since our resting mechanics are inspired by the old Realms of Arkania games. Having some well-prepared food will increase the efficiency of resting.

There will be unique weapons and armors that are broken and can be re-forged, or even weapons and armors with missing pieces that can be used but later be enhanced when you find the missing pieces. You can't re-forge those yourself, though, because you're playing a party of adventurers, not blacksmiths and cobblers. You need to go to a trained craftsman and pay him to do it for you. And not every craftsman can re-assemble every item. Found the hilt and the blade of an ancient legendary sword? You need to find a blacksmith to re-forge it for you. Found the enchanted jewel-studded sandals of an ancient queen, but the jewels have fallen out of their sockets? Either find a cobbler or a jeweler, they might know how to put them back in. Really high-tier broken artifacts will also require you to find an appropriate craftsman who is also skilled enough... the village blacksmith who forges only cheap iron swords and horseshoes won't be able to repair the Greataxe of Murderhobo +4.

• Brofist x 5
    • incline x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sitra Achara Arcane Patron

Sitra Achara
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Does this mean no:
    1. Creating 100 cure light wounds scrolls
    2. Holy axiomatic flaming +5 longsword crafting from scratch?

^ Top  
  9. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yes. Powerful weapons like a holy axiomatic flaming +5 longsword are uniques and found only as rewards in the deepest dungeons, you can't craft something like that from scratch.
    In fact, we're not even having the "create wondrous item" feat because in most CRPGs that have it, it ends up being incredibly OP. In both KotC and ToEE you ended up with every party member having two or three items of +6 to [stat], at the cost of only some XP which could easily be gotten back through a handful of random encounters. The inclusion of that feat would completely invalidate our BG2-like itemization of having legendary unique items that take effort to get your hands on. Would assembling the full Flail of Ages in BG2 have been as much fun as it was if the game had also allowed you to create an even more powerful weapon from scratch, just through the use of a feat? Definitely not.

Currently, scrolls can only be bought, not crafted. If we include scroll crafting at all, they will require expensive parchment and ink to craft.

EDIT:
    Also, scrolls are an expensive specialty product and not a mass market convenience item, so even if you could afford 100 scrolls of healing, you won't find a store that stocks such high quantities of them.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    surely you would not have random encounters, that shit is so pre-Sawyer

^ Top  
  11. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Surely we will have world map encounters appropriate to the area you're traveling through.

• Brofist x 7
    • Prestigious x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    but muh balinse shitposting ITT without reading anything, is there an overland map in this game? Will there be skill checks to avoid said random encounters?

^ Top  
  13. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Oh, also, our encounters aren't random, they're wandering monster groups that you can stumble upon during your travels. Usually, they also have a point of origin - monster spawning lairs, essentially. Which can be found and cleared out to stop that kind of monster group from spawning in the area.
    Tired of getting ambushed by web-casting giant spiders? Find the spider caves, kill the spiders, crush their eggs. No more spiders.

A decent scouting skill also allows you to spot enemy mobs from a distance and you can avoid them if you want to.
    Weak groups of enemies, like lowly level 1 bandits, will also try to avoid your level 10 party equipped with magic items.

Nigga an overland map is one of our core features, I'm pretty sure I mentioned its existence somewhere in this thread before or it's in one of Hobgoblin's blogposts. Lern2reed.

In short: we got a world map seperated into hex tiles, kinda like the new Civ games if you want something to compare it to, which can be freely explored but some areas will be harder to travel through than others (don't travel through the desert without water unless you like dehydration).
    Traveling will take a page from the Realms of Arkania games. You need to camp occasionally and get some rest or risk getting tired. You can forage for berries and hunt for game to supplement your food rations.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Excited! Excited! x 4
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    I said I didn't read anything, but I guess you just wanted to say learn2read

So we'll never clear out the XP, I mean, monster generators until they're below our ECL or something? Assuming that's the mechanic you're using. Still, carry on, I can live with the imbalances of the universe that drive lesser autists insane.

^ Top  
  15. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    I want to believe!

plz hire me to help

I can model 3d boxes. Ask Fargo for reference.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    You clear out the monster generators by clearing out the actual lair, since most monster groups spawn from an actual place.

A bandit threat in a region can be eliminated by finding their headquarters and destroying them.
    Some spawn places can also be eliminated by solutions other than straight-up combat. Think blocking off the scorpion caves in Fallout 1. Or maybe a bandit leader can be convinced by diplomacy or bribery to relocate or whatever.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    Not exactly a difference though, is it? You just hold off on clearing out the lair for that sweet quest XP until you've harvested all the combat XP you can.

Unless there's a timer, or a food resource or anything, or even just expensive camping.

^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I mean, if grinding is a thing you want to do... yeah, go ahead and grind. Endlessly farming random encounters isn't what I'd consider fun, but I guess some people do.

You could endlessly farm randoms in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and in ToEE, and in the Icewind Dales if i remember correctly, by resting in unsafe places. Same with the old Gold Box games.

^ Top  
  19. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    but that was before the Age of Balinse

unless your game is somewhat ironmanable, in that case you don't want to get jumped by randoms while resting too much.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Fun > Balance

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • Balanced x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Will we finally have a chance to remove Gobbo?

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  22. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Goblin genocide simulator 2019.

• Excited! Excited! x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Circuit Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    So, learning from the best? ToEE's combat, Arcanum's/Fallout's quests, BG2's itemization, SoZ/RoA's map travelling, NWN's mod support and Grimoire's development time?

Also, what about diseases? RoA's camping was nice and interesting except the "Your head feels like it is stuffed with cotton wool", "Your head feels like it is stuffed with cotton wool", "Your head feels like it is stuffed with cotton wool" part.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    I want to believe.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Could that bandit leader be convinced to share part of the profits with you instead? :D

^ Top