Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

vazha

Arcane
I think he rolled for paladin otherwise there's no explanation of charisma 15.

xuerebx

Erudite
Characters origins are actually quite useful RP-wise.

Looks really cool - added to Steam wishlist! I assume that stats such as wisdom, fortitude, reflex, will etc will all be explained in-game right (e.g. hovering over the them bring up a tooltip)? Although I've played the popular D&D inspired computer RPGs like most of us here have, the different rules applicable to the different editions (3, 3.5, 5 etc) are always confusing for me (I've never actually played any actual PNP games in person).

User0001

Savant

Working on a let's play. Will be finished at the end of the week.

You lose Combat Expertise with Int 12, no?

The leveling system isn't implemented yet in the beta, so you can't manually distribute any new feats or ability points. You only acquire what the classes automatically get on level up (hp, bab, spell slots, uncanny dodge, and so forth), so the initial ability points and feats are extra important to survive all fights. As of now, fighter is basically useless and the ranger can't choose combat style. I think the dev team wants to hard test specific things during different cycles (my speculation).

All this means the beta is very hard the further you go, especially with no save game, and you have to think ahead on what will work with these limitations. A new type of hardcore mode :lol:

I think he rolled for paladin otherwise there's no explanation of charisma 15.

Cleric actually, but I changed Cha and Int.. for a minor lulz reason

User0001

Savant
Nice. I'm curious, do you think a cleric would do better solo? Does Combat Reflexes work with reach weapons the same way as in TOEE?

Okay, so I tested combat reflexes on a barbarian with a reach weapon, and the AI is much smarter than in ToEE. They move up to one square away and then wait until the next turn and make a five-foot, avoiding taking an AoO as much as possible. So don't think that will be a viable exploit.

Bara

Arcane
Are there any differences in how AI works depending on the monster?

I like other humanoid combatants being smart and waiting for a opportunity to enter into battle with 5 foot step vs blind rushing but beast and insect AI being able to judge the same thing feels a little off.

User0001

Savant
s8LdLFR.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
This is great to hear. Self created characters are better than developer companions, always. It only requires the developer to fashion content around the player's party, the way Wizardry 8 did with personality voice sets, or Storm of Zehir did with conditional based dialogues. And crafting adventures that will resonate with the individual characters who make up the party.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I really appreciate that they are making effective use of the floating/rising text to give the player instant feedback to convey status, roll results and flavour. Excellent.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there function of saving game in beta?

Also. I noticed in description text in game - she.
Paladin - she, ahaha.
That monstrous "she" is everywhere.
WHY?

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

Also. I noticed in description text in game - she.
Paladin - she, ahaha.
That monstrous "she" is everywhere.
WHY?
It's the way that 3.5e was written and this game uses the OGL, that'd be where it came from. WotC wanted to be INCLOOOOSIVE.
If you have played 3.5e/OGL-based games before I'm sure you've seen it already.
:dgaider:

User0001

Savant

No save except created characters. You have to power it through in one session hoping to god there won't be any crashes which I've had maybe fifteen of so far. The beta is in Groundhog Day state atm.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
We are talking about a company that owns both the Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering franchises and only recently started publishing crossover products.

The only plausible explanation is that they hate money more than Pierre Begue does.
obviously; if i was wotc i'd go back to being TSR, abandon mass-market appeal, and make more actual money (=profit)
not gonna happen, now is it?

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Cross posting:

So basically Peter from Ceres says the same what I said here earlier: 125000 euros for the project this big is ridiculously fucking small. Kickstarter fatigue indeed.
Also some really nice new info inside.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom