Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ach, I was strongly considering this game for getting one of the higher-tiers and finally immortalizing myself (or someone I know..) in RPG history and now my fucking employer can't be arsed to pay me my well deserved RPG-investment bucks. Putting my credit card more deeply in-debt feels irresponsible. But wasting this opportunity for eternal unlife feels equally irresponsible. What do, what do.. Hopefully it'll come by mid of the month.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Minigames and voice sets! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ceresgames/realms-beyond-ashes-of-the-fallen/posts/2341235

Pub Games and Voice Sets

Pub Games
At sunset, you and your companions finally arrive in Bridgewater, a famous hub of trade and other, less honest forms of business. Milling amongst the crowds of merchants and citizens, beggars and cut-throats, you slowly wander through the town's narrow alleyways towards the Merry Hangman Inn, in a district of town known for its pleasures – many of them illicit. You enter the tavern in search for a hearty meal, a warm hearth, and some merry entertainment to lift up your spirits.

As anticipated, you find the place is bursting with laughter, singing and cheer as you enter. The smell of good food and beer, and the sound of merry fiddles and happy folk songs out of tune, quickly overwhelm your senses. As some of your companions proceed directly to their rooms in the second floor, longing for a good bed after the strenuous journey, you manage to spot a small empty table in the far corner. When you finally make your way through the crowd of drunken patrons, the tavern maid brings you a battered pewter mug, and asks you with a smile: “Care for a Game?”

Games to spend your hard-earned coin on

Every adventurer needs some time to relax after a long day, and Realms Beyond offers you plenty of games to pass the time with when you return to town after an exhausting adventure. Cards, dice, pit-fighting and axe-throwing are just some of the many activities your adventurers can take part in, trying their luck or skill against NPCs and even wagering some money on their success.

Click for high-res version

If you’re on good terms with some tavernkeepers or have some coin to spare, who knows… they might even let you prove what you're made of in their underground fighting clubs (no arms, no armor, no spells – only fists and the cheering roars of the crowd).

But be careful with your money – many an adventurer has lost the riches he gained during the day in the games of dice he chose to play at night. If you are clever, though, success at gambling is not only a matter of luck. A character with a high skill at bluffing will be an excellent card player, while a dexterous rogue with sleight of hand can attempt to cheat at dice. But beware! If caught cheating, you might be dragged into a fistfight, and once the guards arrive the cheater is the one who has to pay the fine.

You may even catch goblins playing a game of dice in the dungeon, and if you don’t attack them right away, you may even join in! They are, after all, not the smartest creatures nor the most vigilant guards.

Voice Sets
You have already heard the triumphant laughter of a wizard as he fries a horde of goblins with his fireball, but there will be many more occasions when your characters show their emotions or make a comment regarding the current events. Like in many other classic RPGs - Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Jagged Alliance 2, Wizardry 8, to mention just a few examples - you can pick one of many different voicesets for your character, covering a vast array of personalities.

Whether your character is a lawful paladin or a chaotic barbarian, you can select the voice that fits him the best and hear him commenting on certain situations throughout the game. From a simple laugh, cough, or scoff to exclamations like "Bah, elves..." or "What a nice lady!", your characters will comment on combat events, conversations, or item interactions when appropriate.

To achieve the best quality for these voice sets, we’re cooperating with professional voice actors like Stephen Chatfield. Stephen is not only a highly versatile and exceptionally talented voice actor but also a huge fan of table-top and computer role-playing games. We’re happy that he will contribute not only one but a handful of character voices for Realms Beyond. Exclusively for this update, Stephen recorded two samples of very different character voices to demonstrate the idea.

You’ll listen to a character with a lawful good mindset followed by a chaotic character, in different in-game situations.

If you want to know more about Stephen's work, please visit his website.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Like in...Planescape Torment... you can pick one of many different voicesets for your character, covering a vast array of personalities.

I'm taking that as evidence that Guido Henkel is not currently on the team :shittydog:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You may even catch goblins playing a game of dice in the dungeon, and if you don’t attack them right away, you may even join in! They are, after all, not the smartest creatures nor the most vigilant guards.

l6rFJWB.png

deuxhero

Arcane
Tavern games are nice touch. How are they going to stop or even minimize cheese though? Arcanum style random dialog for pub patrons? Disabling gambling for a certain time after game load like New Vegas? Trivially low stakes that defeat half the point?

Dorateen

Arcane
In Realms of Arkania, you could get thrown out of taverns if a character was caught cheating when using their "lie" or Bluff skill. The game also had you rotate party leaders, so that you might put a hunter in the first position when traveling the wilderness, then switch to a rogue when you are in a city. I just checked the notes I kept and see that shortly after beginning the adventure in Blade of Destiny, our party's rogue got us thrown out of the Steep Stairs Tavern. In fact I started keeping a record of taverns we were kicked out of because it happened so frequently.

I'm glad to see this kind of simulation emergent role-playing in the upcoming Realms Beyond.

fobia

15 Euros shipping cost to a fellow german speaking country?

Digital it is! :argh:

Congratulations on the funding!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom