Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Realms Beyond Combat Alpha Gameplay Video

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond

Back in April, we got our first brief glimpse of footage from the upcoming Chaos Chronicles successor Realms Beyond. Today Ceres Games have published the first full-length gameplay video, a 26-minute long demonstration of the game's "combat alpha". The video shows a player party fighting against a band of orcs and a cave troll, a scenario we got a sneak preview of in a pair of screenshots published last month. The orcs are much sturdier than the goblins from the first video, making for a very long battle even after they're immobilized by a Web and Stinking Cloud early on.

If YouTube starts the video in low, blurry quality, please change the resolution manually to 1080p60 or 720p60.

Please be aware, due to the nature of alpha versions, the user interface (especially placeholder icons) and a other elements such as sounds, camera, FXs and animations are still work in progress and therefore not final.

If you wonder about the Wizard’s overcrowded spellbook: We made every spell available (according to his 9th level) for testing purposes. Under real circumstances, he wouldn’t had so many spells already unlocked.

We appreciate hearing your feedback and suggestions for improvements related to the combat system.

Also, based on your feedback to previously published screenshots, we reworked the ground terrain textures and the level itself to improve the readability of the scene.
    Even with the help of a powerful summoned demon, the video cuts off before the troll is taken down. The game seems promising from a visual and technical perspective, but they're definitely going to have to work on the pacing.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • incline incline x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Nice, bit too much swinging around in melee, after all whats wrong with a nice simple thrust? Still nice.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Iluvcheezcake Learned

Iluvcheezcake
    Parrots:
    Is there gonna be a kickstarter for this so i can throw them some moneys

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Swampy_Merkin Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Shitposter

Swampy_Merkin
    Parrots:
    I want this game.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Confirmed features:
    - you can romance dragons
    - multiple genders
    - portraits based on developers and their friends and family, that is why they look retarded

#codexleaks

• Funny x 4
    • incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    JarlFrank
    Again, way too slow. I thought we've talked about this.
    :rpgcodex:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. vorvek Savant Patron

vorvek
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    But can the dragons have both a double dick and a working cloaca? It's a hard pass for me otherwise.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arbiter

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Parrots:
    This shit is pretty much my fetish.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Stormcrowfleet Cipher

Stormcrowfleet
    Parrots:
    I hope we can speed up combat animation. That first green ball spell was damn slow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Parrots:
    Are these Super Mutants?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Parrots:
    This looks better than Kingmaker in every regard.

• Disagree x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HeatEXTEND Liturgist

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    Better be a battle-animation slider. Orks look great.

^ Top  
  13. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I told Peter to show off the speedup function because the animations are slow and people will want to speed them up during long combats, so I completely expected people to complain about this when he didn't include it in the video. Jarl was right again :M

We're likely going to do another combat video to show off the sped-up animations, and maybe the battle crowds (trash mobs moving as one instead of individually) too.

So expect another video to arrive soon-ish.

• Brofist x 8
    • incline x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Give Kobolds and Goblins the ability from Pathfinder where they become swarmlings and each two that surround and attack same target give everyone else in that group a +1 bonus. So if 6 goblins surround and attack same target they all get a +3 bonus to attack. Makes them much more challenging to mid level parties.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    The kobolds and goblins would already gain a flanking bonus for surrounding you.

^ Top  
  16. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    That is not enough, give them more so mid level parties can actually be scared of swarms of goblins and kobolds. We faced these in PnP and it was way more fun than standard swarms. Suddenly your 20 to 23 AC that you got at those levels is not enough to let you kill them all easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Catacombs Learned Patron

Catacombs
    Parrots:
    Looks good. I want it.

• incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    And so low level parties can get completely ganked by mobs?

It's fine as it is now, and besides, we're not yet at the stage of finetuning the balance.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nazrim Eldrak Learned

Nazrim Eldrak
    Parrots:
    Will there be some critical killing blows(Death scenes) like in Fallout or DOS ?

^ Top  
  20. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Low level groups don't get swarmed by 50 to 100 goblins. The problem is that even those numbers are not really a challenge to mid level parties if you don't turn them into swarmlings.

^ Top  
  21. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    We're not going to throw trash mobs of 100 goblins at you.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Of course you are not because mid game parties just trash them and it takes long and it is boring because it is not a challenge. Implement swarm bonuses for them and see mid level parties take them seriously, use real tactics and fear for their life. Those fights are still long but now they are different than 4 Troll fights and interesting.

^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    So weird to see this after I fought basically the exact same battle with the exact same assets in Demons Age, but all I could do was auto-attack and cast like two spells...

• Funny Funny x 8
    ^ Top  
  24. cherry blossom Arcane

cherry blossom
    Parrots:
    Parallel projection [​IMG] It looks so appealing to play.

However, the game needs separate handling of general animation speed and missile speed. It was painful to watch stuff fly at their targets. Some of the animations are shit. And the colours could be a bit more vibrant. This looks way too washed out.

Also, this is stupid:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hate to see it in almost any game with a hexagonal grid (exceptions notwithstanding).

Given the unit-to-tile-size ratios here, a character should be able to walk between/through friendlies to the nearest unoccupied tile on the other side. Maybe with some sort of penalty, depending on the situation. This could be too convoluted to implement with a square-grid but with a hexagonal grid, there is no excuse not to.

Even walking between/through hostiles should be an option with stat checks. Eg. player's dodge / evade, agility / dexterity vs. enemies' and whether they are already engaged to another target, equipment (heavy vs. light) and health, with a risk to trigger an attack of opportunity.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  25. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Parrots:
    Not sure what the penalty for a hex would be, but AP cost is usually 1.5x for that maneuver in a square/grid-based tbs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)