Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms Beyond Kickstarter Update #10: Camping and Survival

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

As the Kickstarter campaign closes in on 80%, it's time for another Realms Beyond gameplay update. The topic is the game's world map travel layer and camping system. It's something Ceres have discussed before in one of their early blog updates, but the addition of an in-game screenshot makes it much more concrete.

The world of Argea is vast and full of wonders. While exploring the world map, your group of companions will travel through lush forests, climb magnificent mountain ranges, trek through arid deserts and treacherous swamps, and even sail to long forgotten isles. Your adventures will carry you far and wide, either on the soles of your feet or on horse’s back.

But travel is not an easy task: your adventurers will get tired, hungry, thirsty, and fed up with the monotony of the road during a long journey. Your wizard will have to rest to restore his magical power, your cleric will have to meditate upon his faith; and most of all, after a long day of traveling your entire party wants to take off their sweaty clothes and heavy armor, sit down around the campfire, enjoy a hearty meal and end the day with a game of dice or cards while listening to their musically skilled companion play his lute.

When you’re exhausted after days of travel but still far away from the nearest inn, when you’re lost in the freezing north and need to warm your cold limbs, when the heat of the desert makes you want to wait until nightfall to continue – you set up camp and allow your party to have some well-deserved rest. A campsite can be put up anywhere in the wilderness, but not every location offers the same comforts.

Aside from the elementary feature of resting to recover spells and heal wounds, in Realms Beyond your party members will be able to use the camping time to cook and eat, chat and play games to relax, go hunting and fishing, forage for berries, mushrooms and herbs, treat their wounds, craft potions or identify items, scribe scrolls, and even make music around the campfire. The chances of a successful hunt or finding ingredients in the wilderness depend on the environment, however – you won’t find many plants in the desert, and wildlife is more abundant in woodlands than on the plains.

Camping isn’t without its dangers, either. Hostile groups or natural predators might assault your camp while you sleep, and if you are ill-prepared for the weather, your characters might catch a cold or worse. But camping in the hostile wilderness is a necessary risk to take, because the longer you travel the more it tires out your characters and the more it consumes your adventuring supplies. Eventually, your party will become exhausted, your supplies will run out and you’ll risk starvation and dehydration. Camping lets you rest and take some time to gather food and water from your surroundings.

In order to make your camp a little safer and more comfortable, you can stock up on camping equipment in town before you set out into the wilderness. A kettle for cooking, blankets to keep you warm while you sleep, a boardgame and a musical instrument to serve as entertainment. Camping in Realms Beyond is a game of resource management: you have to weigh the dangers of resting in an unknown area (and risking an ambush, or worse) against the downsides of forcing your party to press on. It adds just one more issue to the list of things you will need to consider before leaving town and setting off to unknown territory.

The equipment and supplies you need to bring with you largely depend on the area you want to journey through. Proper footwear, warm cloaks and a couple of blankets are almost a necessity in the frozen wilderness of the north, and taking additional firewood along isn’t a bad idea, either. In the desert, you should take a few additional waterskins along, as water is scarce and the heat is parching. When and where to rest is always an important decision, too: in the desert, it might make more sense to rest during the day and travel during the night, when it is cooler. If your party is already tired but you know there’s a river a few miles ahead that would be perfect for fishing, it might make sense to press on to get a reliable opportunity to stock up your supplies.

Sometimes, however, you might also wish to rest while you’re exploring a dungeon. Your casters have spent all their magical energy and have no spell slots left, your fighters are wounded and you doubt you could make it through another fight. But resting in a hallway patrolled by monsters isn’t the best idea. Within dungeons, you can only rest at pre-determined resting spots placed in sensible locations by our level designers. These work in a similar way to Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and Knights of the Chalice. Some dungeons might not offer you a resting spot at all, forcing you to carefully manage your limited resources until you get through them. Others might offer you a resting spot close to the entrance, so you can rest before every encounter. This system of resting in dungeons allows us to craft varied and diverse dungeon experiences that all play differently.
Good stuff as always, and kudos to Ceres for acting quickly on our advice.

Dorateen

Arcane
Oh, hey, it's Exhaustion now.

But the best part of this update was the pearl-clutching casuals in the comments. "I'm reconsidering my pledge because micromanagement!" If these people knew anything about computer role-playing games and Realms of Arkania, which is the obvious influence on this system, they would understand that of course the simulation elements can be configured or entirely automated. Perish the thought of actually role-playing a traveling adventurer!

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
So full exhaustion is good and low exhaustion is bad?

I'm getting more optimist about this project by the day.
Hope it won't end like Chaos Chronicles.

:negative:

Wonder if we'll get a Kickstarter update about how they'll handle itemization/loot.

Intriguing. I have had only passing interest in this project, but this update in particular draws me nearer. Survival elements and verisimilitude encourages careful design for every aspect of a game. Hopefully this will open the door for them to expand game play. Perhaps your murder-hobos might need spells like Prestigitation to improve morale/flavor food, tiny hut, create food/water, purify food/drink, etc. Maybe even use the good old Rope Trick to rest while in a hostile location.

Tigranes

Arcane
More games should copy mechanics from Expeditions, and of course Realms of Arkania. Very good.

deuxhero

Arcane
Potatoes in a pre-Colombus style Europe is still terrible, but this bit they mentioned in the comments section is :incline:
you can rest in dungeons but you need to take food with you because hunting/fishing is usually not available there (with some exception like underground lakes). Some monsters can be eaten of course (sewer rat stew - tasty!).

Wonder if Ring of Sustenance is in.

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
I've never been so hyped for a game release since...well never. If they do what they claim they will do, they are just building the RPG of my dreams. My two favorite RPGs are Knights of the chalice and Darksun, and they are cleary inspired by them. What was lacking in those games was a good resource management game kind of like Xcom and battle brothers. And it seems they are doing just that.
First time ever I back a Video game. I generally don't trust video games, but they managed to dupe me this time.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is one of the charm-points of the game, IMHO. Not enough RPGs combine the experience with a feeling of 'survival'. I know it worked amazingly in early Ultimas, and in Conquistador.

Looking forward to seeing how they utilize it here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom