Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms Beyond Kickstarter Update #13: Pub Games and Voice Sets

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

Another weekend has passed and Realms Beyond is now on the verge of reaching its funding goal. Before that happens, Ceres have one last fun little Kickstarter update for us. What's an RPG without a few minigames? In the taverns of Realms Beyond, players will be able to play cards and dice as well as compete in underground pit fights. The update explains:

Pub Games

At sunset, you and your companions finally arrive in Bridgewater, a famous hub of trade and other, less honest forms of business. Milling amongst the crowds of merchants and citizens, beggars and cut-throats, you slowly wander through the town's narrow alleyways towards the Merry Hangman Inn, in a district of town known for its pleasures – many of them illicit. You enter the tavern in search for a hearty meal, a warm hearth, and some merry entertainment to lift up your spirits.

As anticipated, you find the place is bursting with laughter, singing and cheer as you enter. The smell of good food and beer, and the sound of merry fiddles and happy folk songs out of tune, quickly overwhelm your senses. As some of your companions proceed directly to their rooms in the second floor, longing for a good bed after the strenuous journey, you manage to spot a small empty table in the far corner. When you finally make your way through the crowd of drunken patrons, the tavern maid brings you a battered pewter mug, and asks you with a smile: “Care for a Game?”

Games to spend your hard-earned coin on

Every adventurer needs some time to relax after a long day, and Realms Beyond offers you plenty of games to pass the time with when you return to town after an exhausting adventure. Cards, dice, pit-fighting and axe-throwing are just some of the many activities your adventurers can take part in, trying their luck or skill against NPCs and even wagering some money on their success.

If you’re on good terms with some tavernkeepers or have some coin to spare, who knows… they might even let you prove what you're made of in their underground fighting clubs (no arms, no armor, no spells – only fists and the cheering roars of the crowd).

But be careful with your money – many an adventurer has lost the riches he gained during the day in the games of dice he chose to play at night. If you are clever, though, success at gambling is not only a matter of luck. A character with a high skill at bluffing will be an excellent card player, while a dexterous rogue with sleight of hand can attempt to cheat at dice. But beware! If caught cheating, you might be dragged into a fistfight, and once the guards arrive the cheater is the one who has to pay the fine.

You may even catch goblins playing a game of dice in the dungeon, and if you don’t attack them right away, you may even join in! They are, after all, not the smartest creatures nor the most vigilant guards.
The update also features a brief description of Realms Beyond's voice set functionality, which is pretty standard. It includes a sample audio recording of several barks, voiced by professional voice actor Stephen Chatfield. Just covering all the bases, I guess.

Aegidius

Educated
Long time reader, first time poster. I backed this a few weeks ago and happy to see it looks good for funding. A little surprised it hasn't received as much love here as I would have guessed given it seems to scratch a lot of codex itches.

deuxhero

Arcane
Every adventurer needs some time to relax after a long day, and Realms Beyond offers you plenty of games to pass the time with when you return to town after an exhausting adventure.

So it has blackjack and, going by the use of "tavern", booze. What about hookers?

wtrboy

Novice
Long time reader, first time poster. I backed this a few weeks ago and happy to see it looks good for funding. A little surprised it hasn't received as much love here as I would have guessed given it seems to scratch a lot of codex itches.

Looks like The Waylanders is on Kickstarter now too...haven't seen much/any coverage here on that game either

Aegidius

Educated

Looks like The Waylanders is on Kickstarter now too...haven't seen much/any coverage here on that game either

I’ve backed waylander as well, but don’t feel the same excitement for it so far as I do for Realms Beyond. Waylander has a bit of Dragon Age 2 feel about it to me. With no real info, I am speculating that they are aiming for a simpler set of mechanics. I finished DA2 so it’s not the worst model for me, but really like tactical RPG fights.

wtrboy

Novice
A little surprised it hasn't received as much love here as I would have guessed given it seems to scratch a lot of codex itches.

It does. But everyone has Kickstarter burn-out.

Also "Black Geyser" took a shit in the pool.

I can relate to the Kickstarter burn-out...every project I’ve backed had been released late or as a late beta shipped as a finished product...that’s the rub with digital delivery...it’s convenient but makes it easy to ship a half-finished product sometimes requiring weekly patches (e.g., my current experience with Pathfinder:Kingmaker).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom