Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Realms Beyond Kickstarter Update #21: Combat Demo in January, Character Creation and New Screenshots

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

Looks like all the vaporwarey indie RPGs are checking in these days. What's been going on with Realms Beyond since its last update back in June? It turns out Ceres thought the game's combat demo would be ready by now. It's been taking longer than they expected to polish it to perfection and they now plan on releasing it in January. One essential feature for the demo is the character creation interface, which is the main topic of today's Kickstarter update.

It’s been a while since our last update. We’ve been hard at work designing maps and writing quests – and finishing up the combat demo, which is taking us longer than expected. The main reason for that is the combat demo’s scope: rather than just giving you an arena with a handful of fights, we give you a small story, four different maps with varied environments, shops to buy new equipment in, and the full character creation system as it will appear in the complete game.

The combat already works very well, but we still need to finish up the character creation menu and the shopping interface, and the encounters you’re going to face in the combat demo will have to be playtested a couple of times to make sure it offers just the right amount of challenge. The combat demo is the first taste of the game you’re going to get, and we want to make sure the first impression is a great one. Honestly, we underestimated the actual amount of work the combat demo would require. At the end, we don’t want to release unfinished gameplay elements and that’s why we need to spend more time in designing, implementing and polishing than originally planned. Therefore we are moving the release date of the combat demo to January.

Character Creation

The most important part of any RPG is its character creation. Many of us have spent hours trying to create different character builds in Fallout, or assembling that perfect party of six in Icewind Dale or the old Gold Box titles. Realms Beyond is going to offer you a complex character creation tool that gives you all the classic choices you would expect – ability scores, classes, skills, feats – and some unique ideas of our own that allow you to further define your characters and their role in the world.

Rather than just picking a race and be done with it, Realms Beyond lets you choose your character’s origin: which region of the world does your character hail from? It is more than just a cosmetic choice, as your character’s origin will influence the knowledge of local customs, politics and events the character has, as well as the reaction some NPCs will have towards that character.

Furthermore, you will be able to select a descent for your characters: which social class they hail from and what they did before they became adventurers. Noble, craftsman, peasant – these descents also come with unique background knowledge for your character. Characters with a noble background will be familiar with the customs of the nobility, while characters with a peasant background will be able to tell a farmer why his crops are failing.

The character backgrounds are more than just flavor, as they will occasionally offer unique insights into the events you encounter during the game.
The update also includes a batch of new screenshots showing various areas recently added to the game, but since we're out of room here you'll have to click to see those yourself.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Still the closest thing I've ever seen to my perfect crpg, if they manage to pull it off.

Please be good. Looks absolutely amazing so far.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
We'll have the freedom to choose between a points buy or a dice roll system, which sounds as a perfect design

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Looks like all the vaporwarey indie RPGs are checking in these days.

4 months without an update and you proclaim it vaporware? Pfft. Back in the day we used to wait 2 years or more. It's called game development.

This is what's wrong with gamers nowadays. These spoiled cucks with destroyed attention spans would rather watch Sawyer show them exploding barrels on Twitter every day than witness proper incline. Smh.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does the poor woman have scoliosis? Also the dude skippeth leg day.

To put it more constructively, the 2D art looks far superior to the character models.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does the poor woman have scoliosis? Also the dude skippeth leg day.

To put it more constructively, the 2D art looks far superior to the character models.
To be fair, though, you'll never see your characters "naked" in the actual game - except if you play a dude running around without gear.
I wouldn't put too much work into the models of gear-less characters, either. It's a bit pointless, given the game's perspective.

But perhaps they should show models of characters in gear (according to the chosen class, and a default one to begin with) instead of this. Lots of games doing that.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be fair, though, you'll never see your characters "naked" in the actual game - except if you play a dude running around without gear.
This may come as a shock to you, but there are people that play games for that particular reason. You know, even if the game doesn't have that option, they may make someting called 'mods' to enable it. Yes, it's terrible. :shredder:

But yeah, I don't mean it's deal breaker or anything.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The 2D art looks fantastic, but the angle of the in-game camera seems a bit too steep and may require getting used to.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gender and Origin, PC-approved terms for Sex and Race. Also what warrants Gender taking a full character creation page by itself? The devs keep being cucks and it shows, and it showing is on purpose.

Otherwise it looks good overall.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Some thoughts,

• the interface still needs some work, imo
  • 'origin' really sounds retarded but whatever
  • digging the choice between point buy and dice roll system

deuxhero

Arcane
Background needs more options and should give some extra class skills for each background. d20 Modern had this and PF sorta has it in traits. Both are OGL. I think 5E also has OGL backgrounds but I'm not sure how many. Fantasy Craft (also OGL) just lets you pick two skills to always be class skills.

Bonus class skills really fix how a lot of 3E classes had overly restrictive skill lists and maintained pigeon holing it tried to fix.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
17048.jpg

Shouldn't Elves have +2 to saving throws against mind-affecting spells, not enchantment spells or effects?

The Red Knight

Erudite
Also what warrants Gender taking a full character creation page by itself?
Having a separate tab for selecting your name sounds rather narcissistic too, don't you think? Maybe it's where you define which pronouns should be used along with your gender?

f44VsVa.png

Dodo1610

Arcane
Are you for real pretty much every RPG ever made has a page for choosing the char gender it's usually the first thing you do in character creator. Do you want them to remove the gender choice like Cyberpunk?
Looks good enough, for now, we only have to pray that this won't be casualized.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Are you for real pretty much every RPG ever made has a page for choosing the char gender
Nigga gender and race don't need a page for you to be able to choose. Case in point:

fallout1-08-special.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom