Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - hard rock spacing sequel

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
:shredder:

rebelgalaxy.jpg

Rebel-Galaxy-Outlaw-Screenshot-77.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
If someone didn't know there's two co-founders of Runic behind Double Damage Games - Travis Baldree (the creator of Fate and Torchlight) and Erich Schaefer (one of the key people from Blizzard North and Flagship). I think no one has been talking about why they left in 2014, but Rebel Galaxy was actually developed in Runic first for about a year - then something happened and Travis took everything with him to finish the game under a different banner. As we can see Runic didn't last long without him.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If someone didn't know there's two co-founders of Runic behind Double Damage Games - Travis Baldree (the creator of Fate and Torchlight) and Erich Shaefer (one of the key people from Blizzard North and Flagship). I think no one has been talking about why they left in 2014, but Rebel Galaxy was actually developed in Runic first for about a year - then something happened and Travis took everything with him to finish the game under a different banner. As we can see Runic didn't last long without him.

Your point ?

Latelistener

Arcane
Your point ?
Travis is a great dev, a one-man-orchestra from what I read. Did various stuff, including programming, art, sound, design, etc. When he left, Max Schaefer called him irreplaceable. I'm glad he's working on it and I think he'll deliver.

orcinator

Liturgist
Wonder if the animated trailer was done by the same studio that did the one for Battleborn.
Irregardless I'm not very optimistic, the first game was pretty shit, thanks to combat that revolved mostly around having enough DPS to outdamage shield regen, making higher level enemies impossible to fight while also making lower level enemies completely trivial since they can't hurt you. The low variety of ships, enemies and mission types didn't help much either.

The change from cruisers to fighters might avoid the first problem, but I still see the same type of shield indicator so I'm not holding my breath. The other problems are as likely to reappear too.

The only shit thing is that main character, how about a cute girl instead of some fugly dyke - yuck :/

Ugh, OMG, Ramen don't just exist for your sexual fantasy, manbabies. They need to be as ugly as me writing this Buzzfeed propaganda for the soul purpose of making me feel good.

WHY CAN'T I BE YOUR SEXUAL FANTASY, BIGOT! I'M ONLY SLIGHTY OBESE!

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
One new thing i heard from the podcast that wasn't done in a game like this, the weapons will lose their % of durability everytime you repair them over and over so at one point you will have to get a new one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fucking Travis and Eric. Get fucked with your Epic store one-year exclusive.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Way to potentially shoot yourself in the foot. Or not, depending on how Epic's store turns out.
https://www.pcgamer.com/some-epic-store-games-are-pushing-back-or-scrapping-steam-releases/

Developer Double Damage's announcement was the most revealing: It confirmed yesterday that its space combat sim Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will release exclusively on the Epic Store and will be available "elsewhere" after 12 months. The decision was, in part, fueled by a desire to reduce the cut that stores such as Steam take from games sales, it said. Valve currently takes a 30 percent cut of the sale, whereas Epic will only take 12 percent.

Double Damage said it hoped the 88/12 split would be the "new standard", and that offering exclusive content to Epic would help create the "momentum" to make that happen across all stores.

"We hope this is the start of establishing a new standard," it said in a blog post. "Before Valve and the 70/30 split it was pretty darn rough to be an indie, both in terms of royalty share and in terms of the ability to sell things without a publisher. We can all thank Valve for using their leverage to make that happen, and usher in the era we have now. We think it’s safe to say that a large percentage of the games made today wouldn’t exist without it.

"Epic is using their leverage to push that even farther, to 88/12. That’s another whole strata of developers who can survive. The only way this gets any traction is with some exclusive content and we’re willing to be one of the canaries in the mineshaft."

Double Damage also said that having a "curated store with a more limited selection of quality games" was a positive for customers.

Will it make you try the new store?

Fuck no. But since it's a niche game since space dogfighting isn't really a major genre these days they'll probably have an easier time trying to move their audience over. People really starved for spaceships will probably go for it, but shits like me will just keep waiting. Looks endearingly Wing Commander in a lot of ways, but I don't have particularly high hopes after Rebel Galaxy.

Latelistener

Arcane
They paid some big buck I guess, but I too think that it's a stupid move. A devoted audience can't be bought and is really easy to lose.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Always been a huge supporter of Travis and Eric but fuck them for doing this -- won't be buying from the Epic store. Same kind of crap Microsoft pulls. They're just as bad as AAA publishers for doing this crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom