Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - hard rock spacing sequel

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by Rahdulan, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Streamers usually are indeed. Many ask developers to pay them a sum which depends on their number of viewers to stream their game.
    They don't do that for all of their streams (because they also need to keep their viewers interested), but as a viewer, you cannot tell whether the streamer has been paid or not for streaming a game.
    The good thing is that it is seldom worth it from a developer point of view (in expected short term ROI. It may make sense in the long run to establish your brand, but that is only useful if you survive making several games).

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Many streamers pride themselves on not doing that and if it is a sponsored stream they note that in the stream description.

^ Top  
  3. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    That is because paid endorsements have to be disclosed as being such, according to FTC guidelines, endorsements have to be disclosed. The commission defines endorsements as “any advertising message that consumers are likely to believe reflects the opinions, beliefs, findings, or experiences of a party other than the sponsoring advertiser” (§255.0 b).

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Streamers have already fallen into the same trap as legacy gaming media - their relevance (aka shekels) depends on being first-to-market with an opinion of a game, and being first means getting some kind of preferential treatment from the developer/publisher. This means shilling.

It's an inherently promiscuous relationship and makes it impossible to relay an objective opinion.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. warpig Incel Resistance Leader Manlet

warpig
    They are retards anyway so who cares if it's their opinion or some dev's who is giving them sheckels.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Yeah, but the "advantage" streamers have is the fact they're showing you raw gameplay. So no matter what their shpeel is the game is speaking for itself in the background versus edited videos where you can hide issues and present whatever narrative you want.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It's "spiel" as in "Spielberg," by the by. The pronunciation is due to its Germanic etymology.

• Disagree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Just found out this is an Epic exclusive.
    Highly disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Epic and Codex (not this 'codex) exclusive :)

^ Top  
  10. Trans-Financial-Man Learned

Trans-Financial-Man
    Just Codex exclusive. No one will be using the Epic store in the numbers Epic expects. Even with Fortnite about.

^ Top  
  11. Doma Savant

Doma
    Whats the problem with it being on Epic?

It is not like with Netflix and such where you have to pay 15 bucks for a new streaming platform and suddenly you are up to $100+ a month.

Its just a program on the computer.

Right now I have Steam, GOG, Blizzard and Origin. I manage just fine believe it or not.

I remember when each game came on its on floppy disk in a box. This digital distribution thing is pretty neat.

So what if the Launcher is not as good. If an 2-man outfit like Double Damage can get a little bit more profit for their game by not giving it to Gabe like everyone else, I dont mind.

My computer can handle another program...

• cuck x 5
    • decline x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Companies paying developers to exclusively sell their product at their store on their closed platform is harmful to consumers and should not be enabled.
    Personally, Epic has no support for my OS, and Rebel Galaxy launches directly from the Linux steam client and plays fine using proton. I couldn't even buy & play the game if I wanted to.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    What's the problem with releasing DRM-free? CDPR does it.

The problem is that each successive DRM client is yet another thing to install, yet another password to manage and account to keep track of, yet another vector through which one's personal information can be compromised, and since they're all DRM, yet another form of spyware that will probably harvest information from your system whether they admit to it or not.

Steam has been universally adopted for a long time. Furthermore, Steam doesn't bribe developers to use its platform instead of someone else's.

What's more, many of the developers and/or publishers whose games have gone or are going Epic exclusive are behaving unethically. For example, 4A Games allowed customers to pre-order Metro Exodus on Steam for a very long time before suddenly delaying the release date by a year, forcing Steam to issue an explanation and apology. The developers of Genesis Alpha One have continued to use the Steam Community and their Steam store page to advertise their game, even though they're selling it on the Epic store.

In fact, a great majority of developers/publishers being bribed by Epic are continuing to use Steam to advertise their games. It's not a good strategy, of course, because the great majority of Steam users are angered by this behavior.

For the first time in over a decade, I've begun pirating games again, and it's safer and faster than ever thanks to increasing broadband speed and high-quality professional VPNs (private trackers are also a bonus).

If you go Epic-exclusive, then I make the decision to acquire your game DRM-free, because I can and you can neither detect nor stop me. I'll pay you for it once you either release an actual DRM-free version, or put it on fucking Steam, ass-cunts. I'm not installing more than one fucking DRM client.

• Brofist x 7
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Eh and in order for Steam not to get 5% you hide your brand new game on a Chinese platform no one but the most retarded millenials is going to use?

If you consider that by going to Steam they'd probably sell 20 times more copies, do you also realize that they don't even want to sell copies? They want to invade peoples privacy which is the very reason people should not be using Epic in the first place. Games should be about games not EULAs that pop up before I can even enter the main menus and which explicitly force me to sign an agreement that my computer can be accessed however they please.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    And this is why I only listen to negative commentary. Critical thinking requires criticism. Without criticism, there's no critical thought, and without thought, the opinion has no value.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    The best indicator for games these is actually the number of hours played, a lot of games have stellar top rated reviews but only a few hours, this is of course crap.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Plaguecrafter Literate

Plaguecrafter
    That's why I read only the reviews which have enough hours to either complete the game (or complete the most of it) and are longer than 2-3 sentences. Those are the best way to get an opinion about the game.

^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    It's a win-win for us, it will come to steam a year later at 50% off with bugs patched.

I welcome our new Epic beta testers :happytrollboy:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Trans-Financial-Man Learned

Trans-Financial-Man
    You'd think that, wouldn't you. But who knows what'll actually happen. Could turn out the game is horribly crippled by bugs due to it's dev being a one man studio looking for a payout when he knows the game will do poorly. But don't mind me, I'm just speculating.

^ Top  
  21. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    It's actually three people. Two of which, Travis Baldree and Eric Schaefer, know what they're doing when it comes to delivering a finished product. That said, they can both eat a bag of dicks for this Epic exclusive bullshit. Hope they lose money.

^ Top  
  22. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Even better then, we won't get to experience the failure

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)