Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebellion - Sniper Elite dev expanding operations

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well since Youtube recommended me this video by Jason Kingsley, Rebellion's founder/CEO and known medieval history nerd with pretty popular Youtube channel, that made me wonder why he has never made a historical medieval game.

From a 2018 interview:

So, what do we know about the game? Not a lot, but I can tell you one thing for sure: it won’t be a medieval combat game. You see, Kingsley lives by the knight’s code in his personal life, owns several horses (the one above is called Warlord), collects armour and weaponry, and he could definitely beat you in a swordfight. It’s more than a hobby, and he painstakingly studies what it was like to live during medieval times.

Since he has all this knowledge, I wondered why Rebellion hasn’t yet made a medieval game.

“Why haven’t I made a game about myself?” Kingsley laughed. “I don’t know, I haven’t really had the opportunity. As you know, I’ve got my own horses and I ride to quite a high level. I can use a sword from horseback. It’s quite a skill, though, and it’s difficult to interpret.

“I know other people have done it… was it Kingdom Come: Deliverance? That was interesting, and it’s pretty close. It’s not quite the same as doing it for real, but I guess not many people know that. I’m probably one of very few people in the games industry who knows what it’s like to ride a horse in armour and hit a target. Maybe I should [do a game about it]. I’d like to. Why not? Yeah.

“We’ve got lots of other plans, and the 2000AD stuff, but there’s only so many games we can work on. I’d love to do a medieval game.”

Kingsley then began mulling over the setting, and immediately landed on a post-apocalyptic historical period, when Rome withdrew from Britain, leaving it in the hands of local warlords. Infrastructure suffered, civil wars broke out, and it just wasn’t a very nice place to exist. If you see a game about that from Rebellion in future, I’m taking full credit, but I’m not going to square up to Kingsley if he challenges me to a duel over it.

Sounds much better than Sniper Elite games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom