Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent Space-action/trading/adventure games

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
So, recently we've had:

• Lost in Flatspace
    Space Empires: Starfury
    Escape Velocity: Nova

I'm determined to buy one of these. Suggestions? Also, any suggestions on others of the same kind (aside the PC port of The Ur Quan Masters, since it isn't up for sale)? I've only tried EV:N somewhat in-depth, so i'm more familiar with it.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
How recent are you looking for? I've just given X:Gold another go, and Frontier: First Encounters is a classic (in my opinion).

Dhruin

Liturgist
X2: The Threat if you'd like a full-blown commercial release.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Realbumpbert said:
How recent are you looking for? I've just given X:Gold another go, and Frontier: First Encounters is a classic (in my opinion).

They don't have to be very recent - just as long as i can run them without needing to get emulators for DOS or anything, or as long as they have an interface i can understand. I pointed those out in terms of "recent" because they seem very interesting and to be honest, i honestly suck somewhat at strategy games, so i'm looking to get acquainted with the hybrids first (like EV:N) before jumping into something more deep. And those three were hybrids i heard about here in the first place.

X-Gold? Is it related to X-Beyond the Frontier? I've heard good things about it, but i don't know much of it.

Dhruin said:
X2: The Threat if you'd like a full-blown commercial release.

I prefer to support indie devlopers, but if that game (X-2) is actually good, i won't mind. Unlike Freelancer which took me two days to complete and got me thankful i didn't waste money on it (friends that lend games are a wonderful thing).

Greenskin13

Erudite
Starscape

I just ran into this game, so I can't for the quality just yet. Looks like it has much more action elements than the others. I'm downloading the demo, so I'll give my thoughts after I finish.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
X:Gold is X:BTF in addition to X:Tension. I'ts a pretty good game; I was never really sucked in but it's a nice way to while away the time, exploring and trading. There are more features than in X:BTF. It's more complicated than the three you mentioned, I'm pretty sure.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Greenskin13 said:
Starscape

I just ran into this game, so I can't for the quality just yet. Looks like it has much more action elements than the others. I'm downloading the demo, so I'll give my thoughts after I finish.

I would definitely recommend this one as well. While not the greatest space flight/trade sim out there, it's very nicely done and I liked what I have played so far. I'm enjoying Flatspace though. :)

Dhruin

Liturgist
X2 is basically X:Tension with a latest-tech graphics makeover and a few tweaks and inmprovements. The story is pretty corny (just ignore it) and the flight model needs work but there aren't too many games that can beat it on trading and let you own an unlimited number of stations and ships. You can set up a full fleet and your own self-sufficient corner of the universe.

Egosoft was only 4 full-time devs last time I checked. Not indie, but still a labour of love. Now to check out this Flatspace. :)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Just found this little gem you might wanna check out. Downloading it now, so if you wanna wait, I can post my feelings later. It's a straight shooter though, but it's free and it's huge and, best of all, it's based in the Babylon 5 universe! :D

http://www.gamershell.com/download_4752.shtml

Sorry about it being Gamer's Hell, but there was no way to get a direct link to the download except through them since the actual site for the game appears to be having server problems.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Thnaks for all the information. So now i have:

• Lost in Flatspace
    Space Empires: Starfury
    Escape Velocity: Nova
    X-Gold
    X-2: The Threat
    Epiar

(and Trader Missions, Linux-only as of yet)

Got me to try some of these before making a decision, though i'm quite headstrong in buying at least EV:N. I just can't get enough of that one :)

Norfleet

They were recent in *2004*, which is where you dug this thread up from. This thread was old enough to vote.

flatspace has a very cool soundtrack, starfury is crap who makes you think is good but once you dig a bit you discover it's much worse than you thought, escape velocity is crap.

Modron

Arcane
I for one salute JF's necro as someone really should excavate all the Space threads so they can be moved to the Space forum. A lot got buried in general gaming when that Space, Strategy and Simulations was gutted. Granted this one probably predates that subforum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom