Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend game development kits or modding tools to a beginner

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by nomask7, Jul 11, 2014.

1. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Any type of game that would be interesting to develop.

Something that's rather easy to learn and actually develop with. I don't feel ready to develop a mixture of Gothic 2 and top-down space shooter / avoidance game yet. It would become my Grimoire, never completed.

I need something else...

Some observations:

1) RPGMaker = horrible level editor. Time sink. Don't like turn-based combat in RPGs anyway.
    2) Neverwinter Nights editor. Nobody plays this game anymore right?
    3) Oblivion editor. The monster behaviour is just stupid compared with Gothic 2. Don't want.
    4) Interactive novel. Or what's it called. Only after total despair at alternative options.

^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    How is that relevant, nobody will play your shit mod anyway. It's a good modding tool from what I hear and very didatic, even schools used to utilize it

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    It wouldn't be shit. I have some interesting ideas, although I'm also open to developing types of games I don't have ideas for yet.

I'm not super on top of what is going on in the indie development world, but the big studios are obviously leaving the most interesting ideas for others to utilise.

Don't be such a pessimist. I might publish my stuff only in the first world if you keep being mean.

^ Top  
  4. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Maybe try Game Maker from YoYo? Tried it once, have some potential, just need time and discover more of his possiblilties.

You can alwasy use Unity.

^ Top  
  5. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    Gamemaker is the best tools for beginners. You have to script to do some of the more complex stuff which gives you an idea of what is and isn't realistic even if you don't plan on being a programmer. Its level editor is horrendous to use for any room bigger than a couple of screens. And I believe the current free version of it is the most powerful they've ever released.

^ Top  
  6. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Learn basics of C++ then start modding some open source project.

^ Top  
  7. Semper Arbiter

Semper
    MCA Project: Eternity
    that all depends on what you want to do. if you gonna mod a game then you'll have all the basics (and issues) the core engine comes with. if none of them stand in the way of the ideas you have, i'll go with modding. it's way faster to prototype in an existing framework and get something done. if you want to develope a game from the ground up there's no way around creating your own engine or using/licensing what the market offers.

^ Top  
  8. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    If you can't create a transitionless area bigger than 4x4 screens or something than obviously you'll need a lot of pen & paper planning to create a coherent and interesting world map with lots of transitions like in "A Link to the Past". I don't think that's a problem for me. I think I'll go with Stencyl because Game Maker is acting up, like it came with its own skynet that was determined to make sure you won't be using it. Hint taken. I'll use Stencyl.

^ Top  
  9. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    Oh you can make the map as big as you want (within reason). The world map for my current project is 64000 x 48000 pixels (though I have to disable objects that are far away otherwise it slows to a crawl) which adds up to about 4000 screens. It's just that actually placing down objects is a huge pain. You can pretty much count on having to do it 1 by 1 or code in the map generation (like I do for roads right now). Not that big of a deal outdoors since I'm going for realistic building sizes so it's not as much space as I thought it would, but it can be a pain in-doors if you want to make something like a school and fit an entire floor on one level.

I'm gonna give stencyl a try too later, looks like it could be useful for making a couple of more casual games.

^ Top  
  10. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Oh that's what you meant. A software this old and popular doesn't have mass copy-paste feature?? I have obviously fallen into some sort of hellish alternate reality where the software I would be using have strange and maddening flaws. Sigh.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ranselknulf Arcane Patron

Ranselknulf
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Join one of those CYOA wiki's and write CYOA stories.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    It has copy/paste. It just doesn't have drag select or an easy way to copy from one end of the map and move it to the other (I have to hold left click while dragging the screen around with the middle mouse button, very awkward). I also cant copy and paste multiple items I have selected several times in a row. After the first time if I attempt to drag the second paste it just grabs the object I clicked on rather than everything I selected. Placing multiple tiles is also horrible (unless you do it really slowly it could end up skipping tiles or overlapping). Though the latter isn't as big of a deal anymore as I've found a way to place long strings of walls with just 1 object. Still awkward to work with in the editor but uses up less memory which always helps in an open world game.

^ Top  
  13. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Hmm, never thought of that. Stencyl doesn't have copy-paste for map design but I guess it's possible to create houses, wells, and such as objects that can be dropped into the "scene".

P.S. Stencyl has a nice, though incomplete, RPG framework called Easy RPG Creator. It may become one of the easiest ways of creating top-down RPGs of all sizes once they implement the skills and combat systems (both real-time and turn-based in the pipeline).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    ^ Top  
  14. FuriousGamer87 Arcane Patron

FuriousGamer87
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Nobody recommending Construct 2, Love2D or Unity?
    Damn, shame

^ Top  
  15. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    I've only used Unity briefly (and over a year ago, I'm sure plenty has changed/improved) and haven't used the others at all so I can't comment.

^ Top  
  16. ProphetSword Arcane

ProphetSword
    IceBlink Engine: http://www.iceblinkengine.com/index.php/iceblink-engine/

Used to create D&D 3rd Edition style games. Has turn-based combat like the SSI Gold-Box games (yeah, I know, you said you don't like turn-based), and does conversation trees like Neverwinter Nights. If you want to put some work into it, you will come up with some great results.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Doing turn based indie graphics RPGs is kind of admitting you don't want to be recognised even by your own mother. You would be competing with about 200 games of higher quality than what you can create from the past 30 years, from Wizardry to Nintendo DS dungeon crawls and every JRPG ever released.

I not only like games better where you're running away from monsters who are trying to kill you, it's also a genre that doesn't really have any competition other than for a few LARPers of Gothic 2 Night of the Raven.

^ Top  
  18. ProphetSword Arcane

ProphetSword
    Build your own system in Unity, then. You can program the features you want with JavaScript or a real object-oriented language like C#. Then, you won't have to rely on someone else's RPG engine to fulfill your needs.

^ Top  
  19. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Why unity? 3D is basically out of the question because you can't fog the view distance like it was in Night of the Raven as default in 2014 and expect to get away with it. This means you can see all the monsters a mile away and plan your route accordingly and at that point there's no point at all. 2D top-down with forced resolution is perfect for this sort of game. Is Unity somehow the best 2D engine out there for a noob like me?

^ Top  
  20. FuriousGamer87 Arcane Patron

FuriousGamer87
    Love2D then. It also have the advantage of being free. Just lousier platform portability than unity.

^ Top  
  21. ProphetSword Arcane

ProphetSword
    Depends on what you mean by "noob." Can you program at all? Because, out of the box, Unity won't do anything for you if you can't program a single line of code. You can buy add-ons that will help you create whole games without programming if you want to invest time and money in them.

Unity can do both 2D and 3D. It can even allow you to do 3D that looks like 2D if you take time to figure it out.

And you can add fog in Unity if you want. There's nothing stopping you from doing it. You can get away with it in 2014 if the environment itself is meant to be foggy (heavy fog conditions, rain, misty environment, etc), most players would buy that as a good enough reason.

^ Top  
  22. Semper Arbiter

Semper
    MCA Project: Eternity
    what about restricting the camera?
    btw what type of game do you want to create? all you posted was obscure shit - so it's hard to help.

^ Top  
  23. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Nooby noob. Can't code at all. I understand programming to some extent and I'm learning more with the help of Stencyl but I probably won't bother trying to learn a language in a while. If I learn to satisfactorily use the "code blocks" that come with the program to create game logic I'll be happy.

I think I may actually prefer low resolution 2d graphics to 3d that looks like 2d. Animations would be easier to do in 3d but I'm not interested in doing a hundred different monster types and would go more the G2 route of few but characterful.

Restricting camera -- I would have to restrict it an awful lot for a 3d game (or make it top-down) or make the monsters very fast which would necessitate making the player very fast too.

^ Top  
  24. FuriousGamer87 Arcane Patron

FuriousGamer87
    Good luck then.
    Here's a solid advice, learn how to code.
    It's very important in making video games, especially good ones.

^ Top  
  25. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Which is why there are development kits that do the coding for you.

There are also editors for existing games. If the existing games are "good ones", then obviously it should be possible to make a "good one" by using the same editor that the developers used.

There are also kits and editors for engines like unity.

If you cannot recommend any of these, then you are too early.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)