Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a racing sim

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey guys! Recently, I had the pleasure to play the new GT Sport on PS4. Game sucked, but now I'm in the mood to play a racing sim again.
The last one I really enjoyed was Gran Turismo 3 on PS2. The reasons I liked it:
-Plenty of real life cars. Ranging from something you see on the streets everyday up to ridiculous supersport prototypes
-Lots of options to customize your car. Tinker with suspension, transmission ratios, tire angles,...
-Kinda realistic driving physics and engine sounds.
-Great sense of progression. You had to work yourself up from a Daihatsu Cuore or sth similar. Every new tuning part had to be purchased from your hard-earned money. It almost felt like an rpg.

I d1p'd GT4 and was disappointed: After winning the 2nd racing series or so, I was already awarded a 1000 PS supercar which was usable in p. much every series. Completely destroyed any sense of progression.
I also enjoyed other more arcadey racers of that time like Project Gotham Racing or NFS Underground, but they all fell short in one category or another.

So, what do you guys recommend that comes close to the GranTurismo 3 experience? Doesn't have to be something recent, platform doesn't matter either. Is the Forza series something worth looking into?
Not interested in pure rallye/F1/Nascar(lol) racers. I need cars I need to dream of driving across a german Autobahn.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Dirt rally.

You might try F1 2017/2018, even if you are not into f1 - those games are really good, they are complex if you like sims, you could also try full arcade-popamole mode with all assists on. Fun multi.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Since the title says racing sim... I believe all of these fulfill your Autobahn and setup tuning dream, but they're usually not very single player progression oriented; multiplayer leagues are where the action's at, once you're good enough to not get blacklisted by everyone and their granny. Haven't played all, but these are the ones usually talked about by the simbrigade.

Assetto Corsa - Nice PC-centric, lots of mods, I like it
rFactor 2 - Seems good, haven't tried it
RaceRoom Racing Experience - Free to play, but you'll need to splurge on DLC to get a good variety on cars and tracks
Automobilista - Seems like mostly South American circuits unless you delve into DLC and mods
iRacing - There's both subscription and necessary DLC purchases, but if you want competitive multiplayer, this seems to be the gold standard.

Project Cars 2 - Tons of cars, usually seen as somewhat less on the sim-side than the above, but of these games might be the closest to what you're looking for

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
I agree that Dirt Rally is indeed great, but bear in mind, that it's a rally sim, not a racing sim.

If you want to drive a plethora of different cars with good tarmac physics you should consider Assetto Corsa or Project Cars.
Nevertheless, it gives you great satisfaction, when you manage to finally beat a hard stage in a difficult car.

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant
Since the title says racing sim... I believe all of these fulfill your Autobahn and setup tuning dream, but they're usually not very single player progression oriented; multiplayer leagues are where the action's at, once you're good enough to not get blacklisted by everyone and their granny. Haven't played all, but these are the ones usually talked about by the simbrigade.

Assetto Corsa - Nice PC-centric, lots of mods, I like it
rFactor 2 - Seems good, haven't tried it
RaceRoom Racing Experience - Free to play, but you'll need to splurge on DLC to get a good variety on cars and tracks
Automobilista - Seems like mostly South American circuits unless you delve into DLC and mods

Project Cars 2 - Tons of cars, usually seen as somewhat less on the sim-side than the above, but of these games might be the closest to what you're looking for
I'v heard good things about these, but haven't tried them. One advice I can give though. Stay away from Forza series if you want satisfying sim or 'simcade' experience.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks for the recommendations so far. None of the mentioned titles run on my craptop... forgot how taxing sport sims tend to be on the system.
So now I have a nice to-do list of racing games once I found the time to fix my main rig. Meanwhile I have to scratch that particular itch with GT 2 on PSX emu :D

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It has next to nothing of what you want; but anyway

V I P E R R A C I N G

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

- sense of speed 5/5
- plays great on keyboard
- tons of fun in hotseat
- 4 modes to chose from
- hundreds of tracks
- music that feels great racing to
- runs on a wet potato

Last edited:

visions

Arcane
Thanks for the recommendations so far. None of the mentioned titles run on my craptop... forgot how taxing sport sims tend to be on the system.
So now I have a nice to-do list of racing games once I found the time to fix my main rig. Meanwhile I have to scratch that particular itch with GT 2 on PSX emu :D

GTR 2 and GT Legends should run on a potato since they are 10+ years old. I personally like the concept of GT Legends the most, 60's cars for the win. GT Legends can be bought on Steam. GTR 2 too but iirc the Steam version of GTR 2 had to remove Porsches due to some licensing bs, so I got the disc version instead. I think there's some fan patch to put Porsches back into the Steam version of GTR 2 though.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Hey guys! Recently, I had the pleasure to play the new GT Sport on PS4. Game sucked, but now I'm in the mood to play a racing sim again.
The last one I really enjoyed was Gran Turismo 3 on PS2. The reasons I liked it:
-Plenty of real life cars. Ranging from something you see on the streets everyday up to ridiculous supersport prototypes
-Lots of options to customize your car. Tinker with suspension, transmission ratios, tire angles,...
-Kinda realistic driving physics and engine sounds.
-Great sense of progression. You had to work yourself up from a Daihatsu Cuore or sth similar. Every new tuning part had to be purchased from your hard-earned money. It almost felt like an rpg.

I d1p'd GT4 and was disappointed: After winning the 2nd racing series or so, I was already awarded a 1000 PS supercar which was usable in p. much every series. Completely destroyed any sense of progression.
I also enjoyed other more arcadey racers of that time like Project Gotham Racing or NFS Underground, but they all fell short in one category or another.

So, what do you guys recommend that comes close to the GranTurismo 3 experience? Doesn't have to be something recent, platform doesn't matter either. Is the Forza series something worth looking into?
Not interested in pure rallye/F1/Nascar(lol) racers. I need cars I need to dream of driving across a german Autobahn.

You Sir are an arcade popamole douchebag, I see not a single racing sim up there.

P.S. Assetto Corsa or RFactor 2. Ideal for you: Project Cars 2

In fact you should give GTA V a go.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is the latest racing game I've played. It's surprisingly good, obscenely fast requiring subtle and deft touches to maneuver the tracks, and has a demo.

No, this is not a full-blown, flick-every-switch racing simulator. Hell, those aren't even cars. It's plenty challenging though, I'll guarantee you that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom