Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me cRpgs with interesting settings

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'm especially thinking of settings like Morrowind and Dark Sun/Torment.

A mixture of weird, imaginative and alien, but not overly looney (read American McGee's Alice). It should still feel like a coherent, real world, filled with history and civillizations with interesting cultures behind them.

Am sick and tired of ye old european fantasy landscapes and I want something other than Fallout 1/2 to replay.

Deleted Member 16721

Avernum: Escape From the Pit has a great unique setting. Underground life-sentence prison that has developed its own culture and history, with different races and weird things lurking in the shadows. Really neat.

Anachronox, which is a sci-fi game but has a quirky world. Sort of like Star Wars and Mass Effect but way funnier.

Final Fantasy 7 and Arcanum, both of which are steam-powered worlds with weird technology, magic, etc.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Pillars of Eternity might be right up your alley. It's got all kinds of unique creatures and concepts like fampyrs, guls, wichts and ducs.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I've played Arcanum, and while the world was definitely great, the combat just wasn't fun. The same goes for PS:T but at least there I can just steamroll through encounters.

I also remember playing the demo for Avernum a few years ago, I might give that a go.

I'll definitely try out Anachronox.

:salute:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm almost sure Geneforge is the right answer but I haven't played past the beginning yet myself.
Albion (alien sci-fi fantasy), maybe, or Perihelion the Prophecy (it's a mini-goldbox game with bad UI in a post-apo/cyberpunk world)
Also Quest for Glory 2&3&maybe 4
And for super silly worlds instead of coherent real worlds with intereseting cultures, then Superhero : League of Hoboken (silly post-apo with superheroes) or Escape from hell (silly hell with historical figures)

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Do yourself a favor and check out ICEWIND DALE!!!!!!!!!! Now it might be euroish BUT it takes place in the cold and snowy mountains. So its like you are in Antarctica. Or you could try Two Worlds 2. If you make yourself have to choose between those two games, Icewind Dale will win everytime.

Deleted Member 16721

I've played Arcanum, and while the world was definitely great, the combat just wasn't fun. The same goes for PS:T but at least there I can just steamroll through encounters.

I also remember playing the demo for Avernum a few years ago, I might give that a go.

I'll definitely try out Anachronox.

:salute:

Anachronox is great. Funniest RPG I've ever played, I mean that in a good way.

Arcanum seems to have alright combat if you switch to turn-based, but basically you want to play that game for the high world interactivity, character devlopment and all the creative stuff. It's a Troika game which means it's going to have weird/unique elements in it that most RPGs don't really do.

I'm almost sure Geneforge is the right answer but I haven't played past the beginning yet myself.

Geneforge for sure. It's another weird setting that takes place on a "deserted"/forbidden island, has unique cultures, monsters, and of course the fact that you actually create your party throughout the game which consists of monster type creatures. Neat game.

Hey, he asked for interesting settings. :) Even if you don't like Final Fantasy, the games have some cool settings. FF7 has a unique world of magic, monsters, Mako and machinery. It mixes steam power with advanced technology. Midgar is a very atmospheric city, and so are several others throughout the game.

Do yourself a favor and check out ICEWIND DALE!!!!!!!!!!

Great game and setting all around. Not sure if I'd recommend it for a really unique setting, but I'd definitely recommend it for a "gameplay RPG" if you are in the mood for really developing your created party and characters. It's really fun. Makes a great game for winter time as well, and the snowy setting is fresh in that it's that classic D&D style atmosphere, which is always nice.

Also, if you are into co-op and the Beamdog multiplayer Gods are smiling upon ye, you may be able to co-op the EE version without too much hassle.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Arx Fatalis

Barkley shut up and jam gaiden

Worlds of ultima: savage empire/martian dreams

Anvil of dawn

Entomorph plague of darkfall

Thunderscape

oscar

Arcane
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms (interesting setting and you play as a member of an atheist inquisition) with some interesting gameplay systems (encouraging experimentation with weaponry), good writing and significantly different endings.

I've only played about an hour but Aarklash: Legacy would seem to fit the bill and has RTWP done right.

Unrest is very combat-lite and more like an adventure game (depending upon your decisions) but has a setting based on Indian history and mythology alongside a boatload of C&C.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked the setting of Sunless Sea, even though I didn't really like the game itself. Great setting and atmosphere, shit everything else unfortunately. Also I wouldn't personally call it an RPG, but I often see it labeled as one so whatever, let's not get into that.

Drowed

Arcane
Shadow Hearts: Covenant:

-------

But seriously... Albion, I guess? They've already suggested all the games I could think of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom