Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me games about commanding big ass spaceships and stuffies.

You can be on board in the sense that you can dock with it. Whether that's wise or not will depend on how the game balance turns out.

As you say, your personal ship (the only one you fly) will be M6 i.e. similar size to a real life naval Frigate.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Uhm, does someone know anything about this?

Nexus: The Jupiter incident is a science fiction themed real-time tactics computer game developed by the Hungarian based Mithis Entertainment. Nexus: The Jupiter Incident focuses on tactics and ship management instead of resource collection and base construction. This game had previously the name "Imperium Galactica 3"

Sequel to N:TJI, Nexus 2 is set for release in Q4 2012.

And this.

Nexus 2 is a Sci-Fi themed real-time tactics PC game currently in development by Most Wanted Entertainment, a Hungarian game developer studio. Officially announced on August 16, 2011, due for a Q4 2012 release. Nexus 2 focuses on tactics and ship management instead of resource collection and base construction.

Both taken from Wikipedia. Did I just got trolled is it true? @_@

As you say, your personal ship (the only one you fly) will be M6 i.e. similar size to a real life naval Frigate.

The only naval game I ever played was Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising, which is my way of saying I have no idea about the size of a real life naval frigate. Halp? :oops:

Battlestation: Midway and its sequels. It's not in space but you control a ship and a fleet.

It may be strange given I am talking about blowing shit up but I don't really like games about war that are too realistic. I always get depressed. @_@

Thank you for trying, though. :hug:

Morkar Left

MKs are specific for the X-series but it took inspiration from real world ships classification.

MK5: light scout fighters
MK4: standard fighters
MK3: heavy fighters
MK3+: advanced heavy fighters
MK6: Frigate class; a light "big ship"; dunno, I suppose around 50 - 300 crewmembers?
MK6+: advanced Frigate class
MK7: Frigate class to kick all other frigate classes + some destroyer/carrier
MK2: destroyer ships / big ship (roughly similar to Star Wars Stardestroyer ships in size)
MK1: carrier ships / big ship (similar size like MK2)
MK0: Super Star Destroyer like

The size for fighters is debatable, according to the books it's similar to a Cobra from Elite, maybe up to 5 persons can live in it plus some cargo to transport, Scouts are smaller.

Here's some thread about the ship sizes. There were somewhwere pictures of starshipsize comparisons between ships from different fiction universes but can't find it atm.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Uhm, does someone know anything about this?
mwe tried to crowdfund nexus 2 unsuccessfully some time ago on a now defunct platform. allegedly they wanted to set up a kickstarter campaign next (wasn't kickstarter us only?) and that's pretty much the last anyone heard about nexus 2.

potatojohn

Arcane
No one mentioned Starshatter?

You start out as a fighter pilot, but as you rank up you get beefier ships (light frigate, destroyer, cruiser, carrier) that you control indirectly, right up to being an admiral in command of your own task force. It's got a dynamic campaign and full physics. There's also a nod to Hyperion - your military branch is called force:space and the interstellar travel devices farcasters.

It's also been open sourced, although there doesn't seem to be any active work on it :(

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Starshatter:_The_Gathering_Storm

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/334/details/Starshatter.-.The.Gathering.Storm

Bz2hs.jpg

GYi3d.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Lunac has not yet built up resistence from exposure to thingies and stuffies. The pain will only be passing; you should survive the process.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Starpoint Gemini, you start with fi... Gunboat and end up commanding mighty Battleships and Drednoughts, you have to manualy target enemy systems, manage repairs and fight borders so playing with larger ship is indeed diferent enough.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, Sukeban Cho, this thread needs to be stained with the disease of consolitis, so... Infinite Space seems to satisfy your specifications.

You do 'command, develop and configure' your own ships. You get to slot in weaponry, living quarters, engines, shields and other equipment on ships ranging in size from corvettes to big battleships. You can recruit and assign officers to various sections of the vessels, from gunnery to piloting to kitchens.

Except that the combat might not be what you're looking for... and of course the plot is questionable. :lol:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Don't forget to tell her where are these brutal bugs, in case she would like to do an ironman.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Don't forget to tell her where are these brutal bugs, in case she would like to do an ironman.

I only encountered the one around Chapter 7... but man was that a fucking brutal bug.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Supposedly Infinite Space also has true C&C...
including the typical jrpg repeating question over and over when you pick the wrong answer kind, only this time doing it 10 or more times actually changes the event occuring afterwars.
anyhoo, infinite space is very meh.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
While I'm interested in this game it still bugs me that the crew is depicted as glowing orbs. How hard would it be to make some simple sprites and a few animation to go along with it?

Starpoint Gemini, you start with fi... Gunboat and end up commanding mighty Battleships and Drednoughts, you have to manualy target enemy systems, manage repairs and fight borders so playing with larger ship is indeed diferent enough.
i tried the game for 5 minutes and thought it was crap, i never thought it could improve.
if you're trolling know that my vendetta shall be brutal u_u

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom