Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some dumb AAA shit

When it comes to games I'm somewhat ADHD, and I usually have 2-5 that I'm playing through at a time, each one serving different purposes. Currently I have a big, meaty crpg (P:KM), a nice little quick session game perfect for when the baby naps (Slay the Spire), a highly customizable 4x with great tactical combat (AoW3), and an old friend I'm revisiting for the umpteenth time for when I just need some comfort food (Thief). But I'm not currently playing anything that satisfies the guilty pleasure of a big dumb AAA game where I can just shut my brain off and enjoy the stupidity. What are some Codex recommendations? They don't have to be new (although the older they are the more likely it is that I have played them), and they don't even necessarily have to be AAA, but they do need to be dumb and involve almost no critical thinking (so something like Prey or Alien:Isolation would not fit). I am also pretty impatient with bloated hard drive footprints, so I'm probably not going to buy anything with a larger than ~40gig install footprint. No multiplayer-focused recommendations please; I have a baby, two dogs, a wife, and zero ability to ever commit myself to a multi-player match.

For reference some fairly recent AAA games I have played and enjoyed followed by some I have hated.

Liked:
Batmans
Tomb Raider 2013
Dead Space
nuFar Crys
DOOM
nuWolfensteins
The Force Unleashed
Assassin's Creed Odyssey Origins

Disliked:
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Assassin's Creed 1 (only other one I've played besides Odyssey Origins, thought it was absolute shit after 20 minutes)
L.A. Noire (boggles my mind that people were voting for this turd in the GOAT non-rpg poll)
Bioshock Infinite (made Bioshock 1 look like a masterpiece)
Bully (someone thought this was a fucking game?)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and inb4 "you have shit taste".

Last edited:
Seeing as you liked Odyssey, Origins is a cracking game if you can handle the slight step backwards.

Doh. I meant Origins, not Odyssey. I did like Origins quite a bit (stupid animus nonsense aside), and I've thought about getting Odyssey, but I had a helluva time getting Origins to run acceptably and ultimately had to settle for locking it to 30 fps to avoid occasional dips into single-digits. Is Odyssey better optimized on PC?

:what:
there is no hope
I'm not here to defend TR2013 by any means. It is fundamentally not a good game. It is however an utterly bizarre and totally fucking dumb game, and for whatever reason I really enjoyed it; I would liken it to something like the AAA video game equivalent of watching an Ed Wood movie.
Joking aside, what about the new oldschool shooters Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury. How about a rhythm game: Thumper kicks major ass. Sleeping Dogs is solid as well.
Rhythm game is a tough sell, but I'll take a peek. I've had my eye on all three of Dusk, Amid Evil, and Ion Fury. Is there one among them that stands out? Never heard of Sleeping Dogs. Will scope it out.

mass effect: andromeda?
The shooty shooty part was pretty fun
I hadn't heard that there was anything redeemable in Andromeda. I might check it out, but honestly I have a nagging suspicion that the nuBiowareness might just be a little too dumb, even for me. I'm also already bloated up with Steam, Galaxy, and UPlay. Would rather not have to add Origin to the mix on top of it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though! Anyone have an opinion on the Watch Dogs games? My brother-in-law has been singing their praises, but he's half-German and a bit of a bro, so I tend to take his recommendations with a grain of salt.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Metro: Exodus
Greedfall
Fallout 76
Anthem
Code Vein
The Outer Worlds

he asked for dumb ass aaa shit.

Last edited:

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For goofy retardo experience, any Saints Row got you covered.
Sonic Generations for braindead gotta go fast gameplay.

jackofshadows

Magister
Anyone have an opinion on the Watch Dogs games?
I've played the first one. Well, it's basically a shitty GTA (and personally I'm far from being a fan of GTA games) clone but! I really enjoyed it for a while thanks to the protagonist, somewhat grim modern rogue hacker who can also knock out people from behind with police baton quite effectively and I also dug his voice acting a lot.

The story is fairly boring overall but there's a few very interesting creepy characters and some pinches of actually good dark humor here and there. So it fits into your criteria I think, you should try it.
I have a baby, two dogs, a wife
Nice order, man :cool:

panda

Savant
They don't have to be new (although the older they are the more likely it is that I have played them), and they don't even necessarily have to be AAA, but they do need to be dumb and involve almost no critical thinking
Sums up my experience with Binary Domain.

Reality

Learned
Forza Horizon 4 - This is as "party game" as a Racing game will EVER get - and it makes beer better.

Pure (2008) - This is an ATV game, but it's absolutely more than that - I like it more than almost any extreme sports game - only Neversoft's Tony Hawk is truly safe, I'll even put this over Microsoft's Skate and SSX 5 days out of 7 if we're only talking about pure fun.

And of course - Earth Defense Force

Jokzore

Arbiter
How do you like Tomb Raider 2013 but dislike Rise of the Tomb Raider? It's literally the same game.

Falksi

Arcane
Seeing as you liked Odyssey, Origins is a cracking game if you can handle the slight step backwards.

Doh. I meant Origins, not Odyssey. I did like Origins quite a bit (stupid animus nonsense aside), and I've thought about getting Odyssey, but I had a helluva time getting Origins to run acceptably and ultimately had to settle for locking it to 30 fps to avoid occasional dips into single-digits. Is Odyssey better optimized on PC?

:what:
there is no hope
I'm not here to defend TR2013 by any means. It is fundamentally not a good game. It is however an utterly bizarre and totally fucking dumb game, and for whatever reason I really enjoyed it; I would liken it to something like the AAA video game equivalent of watching an Ed Wood movie.
Joking aside, what about the new oldschool shooters Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury. How about a rhythm game: Thumper kicks major ass. Sleeping Dogs is solid as well.
Rhythm game is a tough sell, but I'll take a peek. I've had my eye on all three of Dusk, Amid Evil, and Ion Fury. Is there one among them that stands out? Never heard of Sleeping Dogs. Will scope it out.

mass effect: andromeda?
The shooty shooty part was pretty fun
I hadn't heard that there was anything redeemable in Andromeda. I might check it out, but honestly I have a nagging suspicion that the nuBiowareness might just be a little too dumb, even for me. I'm also already bloated up with Steam, Galaxy, and UPlay. Would rather not have to add Origin to the mix on top of it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though! Anyone have an opinion on the Watch Dogs games? My brother-in-law has been singing their praises, but he's half-German and a bit of a bro, so I tend to take his recommendations with a grain of salt.

I played the Ass Creed games on console, so wouldn't know regards PC mate (mine won't handle anything near that level)

From what you've posted in this thread you sound like you've very similar taste in games to me tbh.

Some other easy to access but fun dumb shit I'd recommend would be:

• The Technomancer - I fucking loved this, but can only play it as a Rogue to enjoy it)
  • Tales of Berseria - Put the difficulty to simple, button bash away & you've a great cheesy JRPG to lose yourself in.
  • Lords of The Fallen - Dark Souls lite, that's way easier to get into and finish. You still have to think a bit, but it's just really fun combat with some stunning armour sets. The levels pose a bit of challenge, but are at a level you can still breeze through.
  • Until Dawn - Absolutely dumb as fuck interactive horror. Great stuff
  • Injustice 2 - Button bash away. Doesn't take long to learn a few basic combos, then it flows nicely if you don't really know what you're doing & can't be arsed to learn.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Devil May Cry 5
Godhand
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Resident Evil 4

Can't go wrong with Metal Gear V.

I don't know man. There's alot of critical thinking going in to how prepare and plan for a mission and executing said plan at the time of infiltration.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I did like Origins quite a bit (stupid animus nonsense aside), and I've thought about getting Odyssey, but I had a helluva time getting Origins to run acceptably and ultimately had to settle for locking it to 30 fps to avoid occasional dips into single-digits.

I managed to get away with locking it at 45 FPS on my GTX 1070-based rig and I thank the gods I discovered while doing this that I'm not one of those mental unfortunates that can't play anything unless it's 60+ FPS. I'm always haunted by the guy I saw posting here on codex that can't even watch cut-scenes in games unless they're 120 FPS.

Curratum

If you're buying dumb AAAs, at least buy the highest budget ones that are polished up the wazoo. GTA V is a great game if you go in with the right frame of mind.

Crew 2 is still a fun game to play if you enjoy driving games. Not racing, mind you, driving.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know man. There's alot of critical thinking going in to how prepare and plan for a mission and executing said plan at the time of infiltration.
Huh? I just went in, scouted a bit, and handled things as I moved along.

I did like Origins quite a bit (stupid animus nonsense aside), and I've thought about getting Odyssey, but I had a helluva time getting Origins to run acceptably and ultimately had to settle for locking it to 30 fps to avoid occasional dips into single-digits.

I managed to get away with locking it at 45 FPS on my GTX 1070-based rig and I thank the gods I discovered while doing this that I'm not one of those mental unfortunates that can't play anything unless it's 60+ FPS. I'm always haunted by the guy I saw posting here on codex that can't even watch cut-scenes in games unless they're 120 FPS.

I have a 1070 as well and 45 is a no go for me with Origins. I can't figure out why. All diagnostic information is suggesting to me that I'm experiencing a GPU bottleneck, but... that just can't be the case. And I get basically the same performance regardless of any settings outside of vsync and frame limiter. I'm not much of a techie so maybe there's something obvious I'm missing, but it seems like the PC port was just a bit of an afterthought and optimization was in no way a priority. Oh well. I find 30FPS playable; it's just more about my frustration at having paid good money for a shitty port that should run a lot better than it does, and I don't necessarily want to do that again with Odyssey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom