Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommended Morrowind mods?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
hoochimama said:
Morrowind's world wasn't really designed with limitless view distance in mind, I find that using MGE to set it to 2x the game's default max looks best.
But then there is little point to using MGE in the first place, especially that it prevents alttabing.

Really?
I'm always playing in windowed mode so I can alt-tab as much as I want.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
DraQ said:
hoochimama said:
Morrowind's world wasn't really designed with limitless view distance in mind, I find that using MGE to set it to 2x the game's default max looks best.
But then there is little point to using MGE in the first place, especially that it prevents alttabing.

Really?
I hate playing games in windowed mode. Kills the atmosphere.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh, doesn't for me when I play on 1920x1080. Except for the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, it's just like fullscreen. And easier to alt-tab.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Stabwound said:
By the way, what settings do you use in MGE to get 2x the default view distance but also keeping fog?

Actually I think I mixed it up because it's been so long, I think I used the morrowind FPS optimizer to get that, which someone has already linked to in this thread.

Project: Eternity
I'm really enjoying Morrowind in a whole new way now. MGE and the shaders + the texture/model upgrades make a huge difference, and though it doesn't really look much like the original game I never liked the foggy, ugly atmosphere much anyway. The new, BL00Med out shiny-bright happy Morrowind is a much more fun place to hike around and look at the pretty flowers. It actually looks better than vanilla Oblivion now and the lore is far more interesting.

Mattresses

Scholar
everytime I've tried to use shaders in MGE it results in constant bloom around the edge of the screen and nothing else.

Stabwound

Arcane
The shaders are a pain to figure out, yeah. I dunno, of the ones I've tried I mostly didn't like them. I feel almost the exact opposite of Freelance Henchman in that I like the dreary, dark, foggy feel and adding HDR and bloom makes it seem wrong, somehow, not to mention blurry and washed out as fuck.

I've been messing a bit with MGE and it's crazy how good this 8 year old game can look. Better than Oblivion (other than the character models) easily. This isn't even using any shaders:

Pliskin

Arbiter
Stabwound said:
The shaders are a pain to figure out, yeah. I dunno, of the ones I've tried I mostly didn't like them. I feel almost the exact opposite of Freelance Henchman in that I like the dreary, dark, foggy feel and adding HDR and bloom makes it seem wrong, somehow, not to mention blurry and washed out as fuck.

I've been messing a bit with MGE and it's crazy how good this 8 year old game can look. Better than Oblivion (other than the character models) easily. This isn't even using any shaders:

What MGE settings are you using?

Stabwound said:

Not sure about Morrowind looking better than Oblivion with right mods, but that screenshot is really poor.

This is what vanilla Oblivion looks like. Feel the difference:

Mattresses

Scholar
Droog White Smile said:
Not sure about Morrowind looking better than Oblivion with right mods, but that screenshot is really poor.

bloomhorse

Stabwound

Arcane
Pliskin said:
Stabwound said:

What MGE settings are you using?
Okay...

4xAA, 16xAF

In distant land generation:
2048 and 1024 world texture resolutions.
Medium world mesh detail

In the Statics part of distant land generation, checked "include activators, misc objects and interiors behaving like exteriors"

Anything other than those were left as default...

And on the Distant Land settings tab, I did this:

36040556.png

Droog White Smile said:
Stabwound said:

Yeah, well, I mean you really need to use shaders for Morrowind to really look good, but they're a pain to figure out and seem to totally kill my framerate, so I haven't messed with them much. I think the trees are what does it for that Oblivion picture, though.

Monocause

Arcane
Jaesun said:
The Uninstall Mod is pretty cool... just saying...

FFS. You see a thread like this and you can be quite sure that someone will mention 'uninstall.exe' or 'uninstall.esp'.

Guys, it's not funny. It's overdone. It's tired. Give it a rest.

DraQ said:
JarlFrank said:
DraQ said:
hoochimama said:

Really?
I hate playing games in windowed mode. Kills the atmosphere.

You can go ctrl+alt+del. It opens the task manager and minimises MW. Game doesn't crash when you put it back on.

DraQ

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
The new, BL00Med out shiny-bright happy Morrowind is a much more fun place to hike around and look at the pretty flowers.
:rage:

::decline: of the :rpgcodex::

Droog White Smile said:
Even unmodded Morrowind looks better than Oblivion, except to some graphicswhoring faggots who confuse "better" and "worse" with "newer" and "older" respectively.
:smug:
Lack of art direction + smeary low-res textures + plastic specular on every fucking thing + all-obfuscating bloom != good.

Stabwound said:
I think the trees are what does it for that Oblivion picture, though.
I see... ummm.... excessively cloned and thus starkly repetitive sprite-based foliage? :?

Yeah, yeah, I know, speedtree, nextgen, awsum, etc. - it just doesn't do it for me.
And in both, Oblibians and Divinity 2 speedtree generated trees looked significantly worse than their conventional counterparts would, not to mention they often looked mid-'90s lulzy when viewed from unusual angles like from above.

Mackerel

Augur
The SSAO shader and a tweaked bloom shader (to make it a lot weaker than it's default setting) can make a difference that isn't unappealing, at least in my opinion that is. There is a significant framerate hit however, although to me Morrowind doesn't require more than a steady 15-25 fps.

Without shaders:

With:

Mackerel

Augur
The fps might take a hit, but the gameplay is still very smooth and I have a pretty crap GPU. I agree about the bloom power though, it's a while since I've played Morrowind but I recall that I was experimenting with the bloom shader settings and the sky colors (by tweaking weather values in the ini) before I stopped playing, so it isn't at an optimal level for my taste either.

Another good shader is the sunshaft one, although the fps hit on my machine was too great to justify continued usage.
MGEScreenshot21.jpg

Monocause

Arcane
DraQ said:
Monocause said:
Game doesn't crash when you put it back on.
Except it does. And from what I gather it's a common problem with MGE with it's features enabled.

It's not that I can't Alt-Tab out of Morrowind, it's just that it crashes on restore.

Huh, just checked and it didn't crash on me with MGE on. I don't have all the stuff turned on, just some AF and the "fake HDR" option, perhaps that's the reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom