Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommended Morrowind mods?

DraQ

Arcane
I'm slightly gay for sunshafts. :(

Monocause said:
DraQ said:
Monocause said:
Game doesn't crash when you put it back on.
Except it does. And from what I gather it's a common problem with MGE with it's features enabled.

It's not that I can't Alt-Tab out of Morrowind, it's just that it crashes on restore.

Huh, just checked and it didn't crash on me with MGE on. I don't have all the stuff turned on, just some AF and the "fake HDR" option, perhaps that's the reason.
It definitely falls on it's face with just distant land on.

Have you just tried running morrowind in a window? IIRC back when I first played morrowind it had a 50% chance of dieing on alt tab, which was a pain when I wanted to bring up a map to look at. Now I'm used to running pretty much every game in a window.

Here's my contribution of graphix whore shots:

You sometimes forget how unique Morrowind's landscape is. How would an 8800GT handle all these hacked-in shaders? I know the SSAO has to come at a pretty big performance hit.

Project: Eternity
This is the game as I play it (windowed), with the DX9 HSLS HDR 6 shader on.
120310220006_MGE_Screenshot_1.jpg

The Ninth Circle said:
You sometimes forget how unique Morrowind's landscape is. How would an 8800GT handle all these hacked-in shaders? I know the SSAO has to come at a pretty big performance hit.
Mine runs okayish, probably need to tweak some things.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Freelance Henchman said:

Now that's some bitchin' view distance setting, fuck yeah. Love how the distance looks so... well, distant. Like in Gothic 3 or Risen.

DraQ

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
Fag.

And WTF with the depth of field shader? Do modern gamers ever fucking go outside?
DOF may make sense if you are focusing on a nearby object (like something you hold in your hands, but to just have the horizon all blurry and shit is plain dumb.

You do seem to be using a spear, which is both manly and anti-oblibians, so maybe calling you a fag was too harsh, and "ambiguously gay" should suffice - what do you think?

roll-a-die

Magister
The DOF is a distant land feature, and only effects the areas that are rendered by DL. I don't think he has a real DOF shader on, which are much much worse. The DL one looks much better in motion and if you have a higher DL setting on.

also spears of cyrodill http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12611 adds spears for OB.

Project: Eternity
The blur thing in the distance is just that setting in MGE, no special shader. It's like a "haze" of sorts I guess, total crystal clearness even for really far objects tends to look weird to me ingame. I played without the blur earlier and you could see so damn far that it looked a little unnatural and artificial. I like it better with the blur.

DraQ

Arcane
I've seen this shader and it's shit.

DL can be configured to look pretty cool, but the DOF shader is just shit which additionally eats up GPU processing power, so doubly so.

Maybe if it was weak enough to be barely noticeable it could emulate distance haze, as it is it's way too strong even on minimal settings.

Even actual DOF is only useful in games where you get to examine nearby objects a lot or aim with projectile weapons using iron sights.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I kinda like DoF because it makes faraway things look less jagged and clear. It adds a sense of distance to the game, in some way.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yes, it does look a ton better with the distance blur, especially when you see it in action. I still haven't seen any shaders that actually make the game look "better" though, mostly just makes everything blurry and washed out. I tried blurbloomhdr and it looked like there was an atomic bomb going off in the sky.

The SSAO shader is nice, but doesn't make a very big difference and gives a pretty substantial FPS hit. Plus, I can really only tell the difference when I use a hotkey to turn it off and in while in game.

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Stabwound said:
Which shaders/distant land settings are those, btw?

Yes, I'm interested in those settings too. Tell us, you fat sea cow!

No shaders are being used. 4xAA/4xAF.

Distant land is at: 12 Draw distance. Distant statics at 10 size/4 dist, 60 size/7 dist, 130 size/11 dist. Reflections all on. Fog at 2/12 above water and 0/2 below water. 0 distance blur strength.

EDIT: Can't remember what my texture/mesh settings for the distant land creation were, but I think I bumped all of the defaults up 1 notch. Statics were obviously at 10, which is probably ridiculous overkill.

I also have my Nvidia drivers configured so that my brightness is 40% (50% is the normal) and Gamma is at .90 (1.0 is normal). It doesn't shot up in screenshots, but the colors are darkened a bit and get the scene looks a touch more dramatic. It also helps mask some of the low detail stuff, and makes nighttime realistically dim without any extra modding. I always run with those settings, even when just doing normal windows stuff or browsing webpages, the slightly dimmer tone is much easier on my eyes.

Running on Q6600/8800GT. FPS gets low when looking at lots of water, dropping down to about 15 if its an area with a lot of NPC's and water (like LGNPC's + Seyda Neen).

Here's another nice view of the Seyda Neen dock I just found, at early morning and midday:

Stabwound

Arcane
What's the consensus on Morrowind Comes Alive? I tried installing it on my current "testing" game, and went to Seyda Need and got attacked by a random magic caster type and a thief thing. Does it plaster things like that everywhere?

Pliskin

Arbiter
It's random on the hostile NPC placement, but yah. Use MCA Lite --- cuts back on the NPC's by 40% --- and the FPS hit.

Don't use the names mod for MCA. It doesn't have enough names so you'll see a thousand of dark elves named Moralyn Saedrith. It's better to see "Acrobat", "Commoner" or something else.

btw, MCA 5.1 and 5.2 are very different. 5.2 adds lots of npc professions and looks that aren't included in the vanilla game, so you might want to decide if you want the randomized people to ge like the vanilla ones or not.

Mattresses

Scholar
distance blur is unrealistic, but it goes a long way to countering the themeparkesque size of Vvardenfell that becomes painfully evident with distant land on.

Mattresses said:
distance blur is unrealistic, but it goes a long way to countering the themeparkesque size of Vvardenfell that becomes painfully evident with distant land on.
If that bothers you, lowering the fog distance is probably a better way to obscure far away things. Distance blur just looks bad.

Felix

Arcane
mgescreenshot14.jpg

Feel the bloom! :smug:

I want to install it again everytime I see thread like this.

23606-2-1238971669.jpg

look better than oblivion.[/img]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom