Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Yeah, use the BES thing linked above, works like a charm for me, stopped the freeze every few minutes. Amazing that Rockstar can't implement something like this as a patch for i5s yet. But then, they were always kinda slow.

It is a very beautiful game, and the world design and detail are amazing, but the gameplay design decisions are just so confusingly bad, it's almost like they were making a movie rather than a game. Every button has a load progress bar, when you die, you randomly resurrect in various places, shit like in-game quickdraw and dead-eye takes something like 20 different button clicks, and on and on and on.

If you do something bad, the bounty hunters come in groups of 4, riding high speed on horses with long range rifles shooting at your from a mile away. Good luck trying to take them down in free-aim without dead-eye.

I swear, if a magic wand could take Rockstar's budget and world design and attention to detail and combine it with a studio that actually does good gameplay...

Ivan

Arcane
that drinking quest with Lenny :D Bravo rockstar. Also, the quest with the reverend gave me serious San Andreas vibes. Fantastic experience thus far

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
nice video. definitely more educational than most DF videos. Don't get me wrong, i like DF, but this one was refreshingly informed.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I was really excited about this one, bought it on day one even. Had to refund it after 30 minutes. Playing on a 21:9 monitor, I just could not stomach the 'windowboxed' cutscenes. Too bad, I'm sure the gameplay at least looks great on ultrawide!

Meh, uninstalled it today. The base gunplay is just bad. If you think about the Wild West, what kind of gunplay makes it cool and distinctive? Cowboys or gunslingers quick-drawing six-shooters and gunning people down. This is the one thing Rockstar had to nail down in this kind of game, and the result is absolute shit.

They put in 3-4 ways of doing it, but they all suck. You can just aim (RMB) and draw (LMB), but then shooting most things is impossible with any kind of consistency in free aim. Most enemies are constantly moving, either while running for cover, or on horseback, or running away, or even while just firing at you. Good luck hitting them at any kind of distance beyond 2 feet in the head, which would be a one-hit kill. Body is easier, but it takes several shots to the body to take them out, so ...

You can do the above with auto-aim enabled, but that also goes to the body, aside from being boring.

On the other hand, you can draw (Tab) and then fire from the hip (LMB repeatedly), but this is very ineffective beyond very short distance, because the first shot is not aimed at all, others are aimed badly because they come out so fast, and have a large spread. Also it goes through six bullets super fast.

The way they meant you to do it is by using their open world quick-draw function (also used in duels). But this is beyond broken on PC now. On consoles, you can initiate it whenever you want, but on PC, you can only do it by locking-onto an enemy first (RMB), which can only be done when they are very close to you AND neither you nor them has entered combat yet. That already limits when this can be used, but then, on consoles, you hold down the draw key (LMB on PC), and can release it as quick as you want (this will result in less dead-eye time, but still), but on PC, you HAVE to hold down LMB until the end, which makes the whole thing stupid, because it takes forever, and by then, the enemy is already firing at you. And to add insult to injury, this whole feature is useless until Chapter 3 or 4, when you get Dead-eye with actual aiming ability, until then, it just pops off some auto-aim type torso shots, which don't do much damage.

Finally, I tried aim (RMB), draw (LMB), and then hitting the Dead-eye button (MMB), but while this somewhat works, it is aesthetically retarded, beause after aim and draw, you go into a full aiming animation, but when dead-eye targetting completes, you shoot from the hip. So basically, imagine a cowboy taking out the revolver, aiming with arm fully extended at eye level, then bringing it back to hip and shooting.

So yeah, gonna wait until some mods fix this shit, if they ever get around to it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is this game boring? I read that it was endless fed ex shit.
Boring no, quests are quite fun, despite some absurd design choices, i completely agree with porky on that. Still the production value is extraordinary, a very lively 1899 world .The attention to detail is extreme, never seen in a video game before, you can brawl fall in mud and get yourself and your opponent covered in shit for exemple. Really a wonder to see, that if you can finally manage to run it , i bet most pc wont get much better than a PS4 version . For the 60 euros its a lot more worth it than say outer world, but if i knew i'd rather got it on consoles, first evening was spent tweaking it and trying to stop crashes .

Yeah, the world is amazing in terms of detail, and graphics and physics. It's like their world-design and engine teams had a 500 million dollar budget, but their gameplay design team was 2 interns working from a McDonald's basement. GTA V had this same issue as well.

The quests are quiet varied and fun in a lot of cases, but EXTREMELY linear and forced. It feels more like a movie than a game. Sometimes, you will see exactly what's coming, but despite it being an open world game, cannot do anything about BUT must follow the stupid prescribed behavior the game forces on you. That's is the exact opposite of what open world games should be like.

Breath of the Wild is the perfect game to compare RDR2 to. They are both open world, but BotW drops you off with a high level goal, and then leaves it all up to you. It is YOUR game. RDR2 leads you around by the leash, telling you what to do and how every single quest.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finally, I tried aim (RMB), draw (LMB), and then hitting the Dead-eye button (MMB), but while this somewhat works, it is aesthetically retarded, beause after aim and draw, you go into a full aiming animation, but when dead-eye targetting completes, you shoot from the hip. So basically, imagine a cowboy taking out the revolver, aiming with arm fully extended at eye level, then bringing it back to hip and shooting.
Yeah, I've always found this really stupid too, since the first Redemption. Someone here told me you can simply shoot in slow motion, like in Max Payne. Gonna be a while before I get this game and try that for myself. Had it on PS4, but quickly sold it because the manual aiming was garbage even for a controller.

Drakron

Arcane
You mean its a typical Rockstar game?

They gone down that path years ago, their last "open" game might been San Andreas, its all about their setpieces and "cinematographic experience", from what I seen the first game already suffered from that, the technical and gameplay issues are because these are ports and not crossplatform development, so who gets stuck with the PC port is pretty much having to deal with that.

I dont even want the first game because its a linear experience as well, there is really no room to go outside the story imposed and this is the same, I kinda wish someone made a western game with a character that is given freedom to make his own decisions but its nearly 2020 and all AAA studios have "writers" that want to make movies and not games, there is no chance you get a narrative choice option, heck you dont even get much choice of making mayhem for the sake of just messing around because "muh narrative".

Also its funny seeing people posting graphic whoring videos on the Codex, I hope they are being ironic because otherwise, we Gamefaqs now ...

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Also its funny seeing people posting graphic whoring videos on the Codex, I hope they are being ironic because otherwise, we Gamefaqs now ...
Its THE game for graphic whoring, the new benchmark, can put any pc on its knee with everything on ultra. Till cp 2077 there's no reasons to look into the new hardware, the real rpgs upcoming "soon" will run on 10 year old pcs.

Ivan

Arcane
Am I missing something or what: the game seems to reset my loadout sometimes, usually when I do missions. It clears whatever weapons you have on your back. Is this normal? It makes it annoying once it spits you out into "exploration" mode after a "story" mission.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Am I missing something or what: the game seems to reset my loadout sometimes, usually when I do missions. It clears whatever weapons you have on your back. Is this normal? It makes it annoying once it spits you out into "exploration" mode after a "story" mission.

I noticed this. For some reason all of my weapons get stored on the horse forcing me to equip them all over again everytime I ride somewhere.

ADL

Prophet
Even though I have no problem with the linear mission structure personally, good news is that it's the #1 complaint people seem to have so they'll have to address it with the next game or they'll get slammed for it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The mission structure has been the same since their games looked like this...

iu

Hellion

Arcane
It's not an RPG though, is it. Branching questlines and choices in "quests" are not a staple of Action games released by Rockstar. But at the very least in RDR2 some quests offer you the choice of proceeding with Stealth or guns blazing (literally; you talk to your companions and select either "do it quietly" or "let's get them"), or whether you want to kill or spare someone etc. You are also presented with the option to help or not quite a few people/factions during the game's story.

Granted, this doesn't affect much in the long run, other than adding to or detracting from your "Honor" rating, but even this Honor rating that affects which ending you receive is above and beyond what Rockstar has done in the past.

Ivan

Arcane
The coolest reactivity seen in my playthrough: I activated a random "chat" in the camp with one of the women, they spoke about how the times are a changing, with Arthur admitting that he himself is changing becoming more jaded, and said "I don't know why, but I'm killing animals seemingly at random."
sad_frog.jpg

Sentinel

Arcane
It's not an RPG though, is it. Branching questlines and choices in "quests" are not a staple of Action games released by Rockstar. But at the very least in RDR2 some quests offer you the choice of proceeding with Stealth or guns blazing (literally; you talk to your companions and select either "do it quietly" or "let's get them"), or whether you want to kill or spare someone etc. You are also presented with the option to help or not quite a few people/factions during the game's story.

Granted, this doesn't affect much in the long run, other than adding to or detracting from your "Honor" rating, but even this Honor rating that affects which ending you receive is above and beyond what Rockstar has done in the past.
There's also some "hidden choices". In a mission where you have to rescue Micah early on, the game tells you to do X and Y, but you can actually go two alternate paths. You can either
simply plant dynamite on the brick wall, right next to the window and blow it the fuck up, or you can go back inside the sheriff's office, kill all 3 cops inside, grab the keys from the sheriff and simply open the cell and waltz outta there

Wunderbar

Arcane

There's also some "hidden choices". In a mission where you have to rescue Micah early on, the game tells you to do X and Y, but you can actually go two alternate paths. You can either
simply plant dynamite on the brick wall, right next to the window and blow it the fuck up, or you can go back inside the sheriff's office, kill all 3 cops inside, grab the keys from the sheriff and simply open the cell and waltz outta there
too bad that the game will just say "go back on rails or it'll be over for you" in 99% of other cases if you try to do something inventive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom