Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best out of any Rockstar game yet, precisely because the story missions are so curated and (most) are controlled by a specific vision. You still have the space outside the missions to fuck around with, and it's not like it was sacrificed for the main story either. When I say "story", I mean all aspects that involve it, particularly music. RDR2's use of music rivals Nier Automata as the best ever.

It definitely has one of the best stories and writing in a game I've seen that's not an RPG. Despite the fact that it has some usual Rockstar's one-dimensionally bad characters, like those hostile gangs or others, I was contemplating this story for a couple of days actually, due to all the ambiguity and things left for player's interpretation and intelligence to figure out, like i.e:

While Dutch was certainly an egocentrist, was he really a well-meaning father figure before all the hell broke loose, or simply a manipulative asshole to begin with, gradually losing all pretences? There are hints or characters' rapport for many different interpretations, even incredibly subtle cues or random encounters at certain story stages that depending on player's playstyle may or may not be seen. And while it's obvious he slides further and further into insanity, was it caused by some outward factors, such as that failed train heist in Saint Denis where he hit his head hard enough to loosen enough screws in his mind? Or was it losing Hosea, who was his arguably bi-curious bromance, as well as the voice of reason in the leadership, keeping him in reins?

I decided to continue replaying Vice City on my PS2 that still works though, because the PC version is all sorts of weird and missing graphical details.

GTA Vice City Reborn.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=706270825

Interesting, especially this "Xbox vehicles". I've seen there are actually 3 different graphical versions of San Andreas, for PS2, PC and Smartphones, with the first one looking the most distinct. Maybe there's some patch to bring it back?

EDIT: Ho, that was quick:

Sentinel

Arcane
Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best out of any Rockstar game yet, precisely because the story missions are so curated and (most) are controlled by a specific vision. You still have the space outside the missions to fuck around with, and it's not like it was sacrificed for the main story either. When I say "story", I mean all aspects that involve it, particularly music. RDR2's use of music rivals Nier Automata as the best ever.

It definitely has one of the best stories and writing in a game I've seen that's not an RPG. Despite the fact that it has some usual Rockstar's one-dimensionally bad characters, like those hostile gangs or others, I was contemplating this story for a couple of days actually, due to all the ambiguity and things left for player's interpretation and intelligence to figure out, like i.e:

While Dutch was certainly an egocentrist, was he really a well-meaning father figure before all the hell broke loose, or simply a manipulative asshole to begin with, gradually losing all pretences? There are hints or characters' rapport for many different interpretations, even incredibly subtle cues or random encounters at certain story stages that depending on player's playstyle may or may not be seen. And while it's obvious he slides further and further into insanity, was it caused by some outward factors, such as that failed train heist in Saint Denis where he hit his head hard enough to loosen enough screws in his mind? Or was it losing Hosea, who was his arguably bi-curious bromance, as well as the voice of reason in the leadership, keeping him in reins?
Yeah I definitely agree. I also especially like how they
leave the existence of an additional rat pre-Guarma as a real possibility. There's some hints that Abigail might've been one: mysteriously escapes the St. Denis robbery unscathed; was spying on Dutch and knows where hides all the money; had extra motive to get out of that life; she is the one who kills Milton (maybe afraid he'd say something he shouldn't?)

Sentinel

Arcane
Doesn't look any different than the PS4 version, but just listening to that song again gives me chills.

Sentinel

Arcane
Where did you see those? I don't doubt that the Ultra option will be better than the console versions, but from this trailer nothing really stood out. I also don't know why they chose to use New Austin as a graphical showcase.
For example the Shadow Render Distance seems the exact same as the console version, and I didn't notice any improvement in terms of draw distance (for example at 0:32 you can see the fog set in in the distant mountain, just like in the console version).

Only real difference I notice is the obviously sharper image.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Where did you see those? I don't doubt that the Ultra option will be better than the console versions, but from this trailer nothing really stood out. I also don't know why they chose to use New Austin as a graphical showcase.
For example the Shadow Render Distance seems the exact same as the console version, and I didn't notice any improvement in terms of draw distance (for example at 0:32 you can see the fog set in in the distant mountain, just like in the console version).

It could have exactly the same console settings and still be a massive upgrade at native resolution and 60+fps.

TBH that 60 FPS kinda broke the "immershun" for me; I had the impression that it's the most photorealistic game ever made on PS4 which I guess was 30fps, but with such high framerate and fidelity you see more clearly that it's a vidya game after all :(

EDIT: Watching it again on a different screen, maybe I overreacted. I'm not even sure if my i5-8300 and GTX 1050 can run it as such anyway.

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Really makes me wonder what people find so genius about RDR2s story. It meanders aimlessly throughout the entire fucking game, nothing changes, then there's a completely unnecessary chapter right in the middle to take you completely out of the flow, but again, nothing really happens there. After the end where atleast some things are resolved you are greeted by an overly long epilogue that again, doesnt add anything.

It at times felt like watching a sitcom where characters are caricatures and nothing truly meaningful ever happens.

Sentinel

Arcane

It could have exactly the same console settings and still be a massive upgrade at native resolution and 60+fps.
I know but that wasn't my point. Rockstar's blog post mentions "technical improvements", "increased draw distance" among them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I know but that wasn't my point. Rockstar's blog post mentions "technical improvements", "increased draw distance" among them.

They might increase the object draw-distance without increasing it for shadows, who knows. Or maybe (no offense) you're wrong about them being the same in the video. I never played on console so can't say. It'll be out soon, then we'll all know.

Sentinel

Arcane

They might increase the object draw-distance without increasing it for shadows, who knows. Or maybe (no offense) you're wrong about them being the same in the video. I never played on console so can't say. It'll be out soon, then we'll all know.
My point was that I expected a more substantial and noticeable upgrade over the console versions, especially when you look at how far ahead PC hardware is in comparison with consoles. GTA V saw a pretty noticeable visual upgrade, which I'm not seeing here. Could also be because they picked one of the worst areas to showcase the game's graphics. But we'll wait and see.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Really makes me wonder what people find so genius about RDR2s story. It meanders aimlessly throughout the entire fucking game, nothing changes, then there's a completely unnecessary chapter right in the middle to take you completely out of the flow, but again, nothing really happens there. After the end where atleast some things are resolved you are greeted by an overly long epilogue that again, doesnt add anything.

It at times felt like watching a sitcom where characters are caricatures and nothing truly meaningful ever happens.

The plot is just a backdrop for a really well and effectively written character, which by all means is enough to carry the whole thing.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

The plot is just a backdrop for a really well and effectively written character, which by all means is enough to carry the whole thing.

So there is no story at all. Arthur sure as shit doesn't carry 'the plot'.

Ivan

Arcane
sddefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom