Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
These games are becoming life simulators, that's the problem.

It's odd too, considering what a mainstream game it is. Though I guess games with survival elements are some of the most popular games in the world (Minecraft, etc.) so what the fuck do we know.

Turuko

Learned
i hope someone is making a mod that reworks the inventory/item selection cause i'm already tired of throwing elaborate gang signs at the keyboard

If you then want to rotate the camera around you while riding you even have to shift your index finger from the right shoulder button/right trigger down to the bottom face button (xbox "A", ps "X") in order to free up your thumb to use the right/camera thumbstick at the same time: the "claw".

That reminds me of the time when I played Dark Souls 1 on keyboard only, with WSAD, manually controlling the camera with Arrows and attacking/actions on Numpad. Made it to NG++ that way lmao.

Morkar Left

These games are becoming life simulators, that's the problem.

While still maintaining their by now ancient console design systems which always makes them gamey for me.
If by gamey you mean squeezing all this survivalist crap into a control pad. I miss the simple system of Vice City.

No I mean all the survivalist crap being actually meaningless for the gameplay and often kind of disconnected from the actual gameplay. There are no interwoven mechanics and most of the time it's just collecting trophies. Haven't played RDR2 though can't tell. It's just what I'm getting from all the other "open world" console games.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
No I mean all the survivalist crap being actually meaningless for the gameplay and often kind of disconnected from the actual gameplay. There are no interwoven mechanics and most of the time it's just collecting trophies. Haven't played RDR2 though can't tell. It's just what I'm getting from all the other "open world" console games.

The "survivalist mechanics" in RDR2 aren't real survivalist mechanics, it's not a survival game, but part of the world building, setting the tone and larping opportunities.
If you don't eat, you get a slight malus on your stats, which you won't even notice. To me they fall into the same category as not allowing you to sprint while in camp. They are there to set the mood, but allow people who aren't into larping to ignore them. You can chop wood or carry hay in the camp, but you don't have to. The rewards you get for it are minuscule. You can rob people or fence coaches and horses, but the rewards are not that great and you have plenty of money (even if the store constantly revolves about the gang needing more money).
You can set up a camp in the wilderness, but you don't really ever have to (the nights are so bright, that nothing is stopping you from carrying on) - which is a design choice I dislike.

Morkar Left

The "survivalist mechanics" in RDR2 aren't real survivalist mechanics, it's not a survival game, but part of the world building, setting the tone and larping opportunities.
If you don't eat, you get a slight malus on your stats, which you won't even notice. To me they fall into the same category as not allowing you to sprint while in camp. They are there to set the mood, but allow people who aren't into larping to ignore them. You can chop wood or carry hay in the camp, but you don't have to. The rewards you get for it are minuscule. You can rob people or fence coaches and horses, but the rewards are not that great and you have plenty of money (even if the store constantly revolves about the gang needing more money).
You can set up a camp in the wilderness, but you don't really ever have to (the nights are so bright, that nothing is stopping you from carrying on) - which is a design choice I dislike.

Thanks, that's what I meant. Completely meaningless for gameplay. It's like fapping instead of sex or fapping without an orgasm.

Silva

Arcane
Thanks, that's what I meant. Completely meaningless for gameplay. It's like fapping instead of sex or fapping without an orgasm.
Don't call it "survival mechanics" since it's not related at all to your survival. Call it by what it is: Theme-Park mechanics. They are toys that DADDY'S BOY Arthur can play (or simply ignore) as he wish.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's a problem across gaming, trying to be movies or "real" or "immersive" and ignoring what's actually fun to play. But with RDR2 it feels especially masturbatory.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I would not define it a problem per se. Yes for sure not indepth survival elements but are there to create atmosphere. Some may consider it trivial but to me is a nice touch. We have ton of games in different settings that keep features only core gameplay exclusive and most of the time those games end to be rather simple and gamey.

RDR2 is odd. They went overboard with details it is something that needed to be done? No. Still gives complexity and life to the game world. What an eagle catching a squirrel give in terms of gameplay? Nothing. But is there and is damn great to see.

To me they did the right thing considering i liked also the first game but i enjoy this game immensely more.

There are plenty open worlds game that feel lifeless. Look Witcher3 nothing really is going on outside questing and sidequest after you did everything and you finished the game you have the realization the world of witcher 3 is pretty damn empty and schematic.

You know if you go there there is the same group of bandit or the same group of drownes or the same spawn of a cockatrice. Nothing change nothing happens wildlife is pretty boring skyrim level boring.

In RDR2 you have things happening around you maybe you visit a forest and you find an hunter actually hunting for animals or maybe you go in the same spot and get ambushed by some outlaw or even you go still there and you find a bear eating a deer.

The world of RDR2 is full of this tiny detail that again are not important for the gameplay per se but create an illusory sense of living open world.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The world of RDR2 is full of this tiny detail that again are not important for the gameplay per se but create an illusory sense of living open world.

The problem isn't that it exists, it's that it actively gets in the way of enjoying the gameplay, rather than enhancing it.

Rockstar created an amazing, beautiful and highly detailed world for RDR2. The problem is, the gameplay is utter shit. 2 main issues with it:

1. It's extremely scripted: to say it's on rails would be an understatement. Obviously, all Rockstar games have this issue, but the way RDR2 world is so beautiful and open and detailed, makes this issue hurt all the more. Playing this after Breath of the Wild feels like an insult to open world gaming.

2. The PC controls are way worse than consoles, which weren't great to begin with. I mean take the basic quick-draw, which is an inherent part of the Wild West setting in popular culture. It just doesn't work at all on PC. You can draw and start shooting from the hip, but this is extremely inaccurate. You can aim and draw, but this auto-aims somewhat. You can do Tab > RMB, to aim without auto-aim, but besides being awkward and kinda slow, good luck hitting any moving targets with it. On consoles, they at least had the open world quick-draw, which would transition into dead-eye, but they botched this on PC. You can't draw early, and have to hold LMB to the end, which takes forever, and makes it slow-draw. You also can only initiate this at close range and when the other party isn't already attacking, making it useless in a lot of situations. On console, there were no range limits.

So yes, the world is awesome, but you feel like a gimped cowboy wannabee stuck on rails in it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Shooting is fine, no idea what you're on about there. Tab to draw, then aim... works fine, no auto-aim I have detected. Walking and riding are fine too, very normal. The only control issue is the batshit number of hoops you have to jump through to do basic shit. Especially since the game throws random new mechanics at you constantly.

I agree on the scripted thing... it's an interactive "immersive" movie, and it's boring as shit IMO. I like immersion when it's mixed with gameplay and interactivity (quest choices, finding neat stuff, whatever). RDR2 has none of that, it's "immersion" is just a pretty painting you walk by from scripted sequence to scripted sequence, or cutscene to cutscene. I took a break to play Halo Reach and now I'm continuing that break to play KotOR 2 and god knows if I'll ever go back to it. I'll probably impulsively uninstall it since it takes up a third of my SSD. I was only in chapter two, as well. It's everything I hate about Assassin's Creed mixed with even worse mechanics and drawn out bullshit.

Deflowerer

Arcane
What's the modding potential in general for this game? Have not played GTA IV or GTA V, but does it seem likely that there will be some major gameplay overhauls (survival elements having more weight?) with the help of some autists?

Modron

Arcane
What's the modding potential in general for this game? Have not played GTA IV or GTA V, but does it seem likely that there will be some major gameplay overhauls (survival elements having more weight?) with the help of some autists?
Knowing rockstar they'll probably just ban everyone who tries to mod their game the first couple of years.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Whoever invented and popularizes the retarded "Hold down button for x time to anything happen" bullshit should be flogged, skinned and shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom