Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was like a little kid in a candy shop with KCD but after the monastery I suffered from the game becoming more and more railroaded. I should do a second playthrough of KCD one of these days, more completionist this time.

Sentinel

Arcane
Seems to me like you want to play a role playing game instead. Why force yourself to play a game you're clearly not interested in?
There is no mechanical character progression beyond getting new dead eye abilities, more health and more stamina.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Seems to me like you want to play a role playing game instead. Why force yourself to play a game you're clearly not interested in?
There is no mechanical character progression beyond getting new dead eye abilities, more health and more stamina.

You and I don't agree on much but I agree 100% here. I had very similar thoughts as you lukaszek so what I did was stop playing it. It appeals to a certain kind of person who cares more about immersion and story than they do gameplay, to a degree beyond even other games with that same focus, and for me it was too much. Just drop it.

You and I don't agree on much but I agree 100% here. I had very similar thoughts as you lukaszek so what I did was stop playing it. It appeals to a certain kind of person who cares more about immersion and story than they do gameplay, to a degree beyond even other games with that same focus, and for me it was too much. Just drop it.

I would go further. I think the forced linear gameplay in RDR2 actually hurts immersion, at least for me. How can I immerse myself into a character when the game is constantly dictating what I can and cannot do down to the tiniest choices? As well as the forced story where Arthur behaves in a way that I cannot associate with at all. I think most normal people would've tried to walk away from that kind of shit situation if they could, so it's hard to associate with a character who keeps sticking with a boss who is clearly headed to bad places.

Curratum

M-M-monster bump!

Steam sale is tomorrow, I really want that game but have hardware worries. Would rather spare me 4 hours of downloading and then refunding.

I'm on the following:

i5 3470 @ 3.2 ghz
16 gb ram
RX 570 4gb

I watched a whole bunch of performance and settings guides and breakdowns and settled for a setting set used by Hardware Unboxed to get decent FPS and good visuals at the least cost to fps.

Anyone on a comparable setup, do you think I will be able to have 50-ish fps at 1080p without turning everything down?

The game has very bad frame timing issues - even though you might get 40-50 fps with that rig, it will still stutter like crazy. It's very badly optimized.

My own rig is a 3570k@4.4ghz with a GTX 1070, it ran at around 50-60fps at middle of the road settings, but as I said, frame timing is awful. If you're not particularly sensitive about that sort of thing, you might not be too bothered, by I had to lock my framerate at 30fps to have a smoother experience (I guess an added bonus was that I could jack up the resolution to 4k).

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Runs great for me, at 1440p

i7 4790k (4.00/4.40 GHz) 4 cores/8 threads
8GB DDR3
GTX 1080ti (11 GB Vram)

I'd consult benchmarks and Digital Foundry if I were you.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I followed Hardware Unboxed's settings guide and really smooth framerates well above 60 most of the time at 1440p on a 2070. It requires putting a few things on medium, but medium is still well above what the Xbox One X uses and it runs at 30fps, so... perspective and all that.

Ulysa

Scholar
I bought this to play with friends online so I tried the singleplayer story. Alas...I can't deal with the fact that the protagonist loves to be abused by a whole gang of criminals. Forgive me Geralt, you weren't the worst protagonist ever.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I bought this to play with friends online so I tried the singleplayer story. Alas...I can't deal with the fact that the protagonist loves to be abused by a whole gang of criminals. Forgive me Geralt, you weren't the worst protagonist ever.
You have a point, actually.

Probably I also couldn't stand the fact that the story up to and in Strawberry summed up to me wiping the asses of the rest of the gang, and also giving them money to show my gratitude for their existence, that's why at the first chance I got I just rode off to the north, exploring the map, hunting animals for food and skins, and drinking and gambling away the money. Spent like 40 hours doing just that. Then I played 100 hours or so multiplayer, reached rank 50, maxed out the trapper and reached halfway moonshiner. I'm currently giving the game a rest, but I'll come back eventually.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The entire Rockstar formula is "smart guy is surrounded by idiots but does everything they tell him to anyway."

rado907

Savant
Finally got around to playing this one. It's insane. The graphics are godly, the story and dialogue are excellent (laughs galore, occasional tingles), there are a million things to do and it just keeps going. You go from the Rockies to the Wild West to the sleepy rural South to New Orleans to looking forward to whatever's next. No trope left unexplored. Better than TV. Best game of this genre since Witcher 3.

Bravo Rockstar!

Curious if Rockstar will try to do their thing in one more setting. CDPR took over European Fantasy and Cyberpunk. And KCD tried to do hardcore middle ages. Maybe Rockstar can do Rome or hard sci-fi. (I guess they're doing Medieval - good for them.)

I guess we'll find out. What a company tho. Hard to make good games for 25 years straight.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
this game can be quite a chore... Go hunting? need to ride for a bit, kill single deer, then thats all you can carry so its time to get back.
For a change you go on a mission, ride a carriage to town, do some questiong, end up without lift back. Cant call a horse since you are too far away. Got to walk back on foot.

Aiming is weird. Does it do some sort of auto aim? I dislike controlls. Would love to change bindings but then there are 100 key roles...
and dont get me started on my gun holdout disappearing and me being always defaulted to revolver.

:heh: It's called ~ immersive ~

Everyone knows you can't teleport horses to your location if they are too far away.

Sentinel

Arcane
Finally got around to playing this one. It's insane. The graphics are godly, the story and dialogue are excellent (laughs galore, occasional tingles), there are a million things to do and it just keeps going. You go from the Rockies to the Wild West to the sleepy rural South to New Orleans to looking forward to whatever's next. No trope left unexplored. Better than TV. Best game of this genre since Witcher 3.

Bravo Rockstar!

Curious if Rockstar will try to do their thing in one more setting. CDPR took over European Fantasy and Cyberpunk. And KCD tried to do hardcore middle ages. Maybe Rockstar can do Rome or hard sci-fi. (I guess they're doing Medieval - good for them.)

I guess we'll find out. What a company tho. Hard to make good games for 25 years straight.
Don't expect any more good, singleplayer focused games from Rockstar. RDR2 was their swan song.

AwesomeButton

Patron

My wet dream now is that they do a proper Mafia game, with systemic mafia family territories, activities like extortion, building up authority and respect, etc.

KVVRR

Learned

My wet dream now is that they do a proper Mafia game, with systemic mafia family territories, activities like extortion, building up authority and respect, etc.
you just described san andreas

AwesomeButton

Patron
San Andreas I've played at release. It's too old to pretend it's still good to play and that the chasm in production values doesn't matter.

kangaxx

Arbiter
How is it on PC? This is a game I was begging to end when I trudged through it on PS4. My pick for the most overrated game of all time, although the graphics and overall world they crafted are very nice indeed.

AwesomeButton

Patron
If you didn't like the gameplay - murderhobo collector, or the story - where the missions are very tightly controlled - you won't like it on PC either. The graphics are better as you can expect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom