Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The deification of Rockstar and cloying fanboyism for this game is unbearable
Eh, kind of understand it - very similar to Valve. Industry giants who aren't complete sellouts, unheard of today.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you think about it as of a game, you will be disappointed. Pretty much what I've been saying about Witcher 3, only with RDR2 its interactive movie nature is so much more obvious.

In the past we used to have a game with a story, now we have a story with some game-like elements attached to it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you think about it as of a game, you will be disappointed. Pretty much what I've been saying about Witcher 3, only with RDR2 its interactive movie nature is so much more obvious.

In the past we used to have a game with a story, now we have a story with some game-like elements attached to it.

This. But at least open-world interactive movies like Witcher 3 or RDR are a bit more prestigious than corridor shit like Tomb Raider, Uncharted or Last of Us.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh, kind of understand it - very similar to Valve. Industry giants who aren't complete sellouts, unheard of today.

Maybe that's why they're loved by the fans but I was talking more about journos. They love the game only because it's pretty, technically flawless and easy to go through, which the only thing journos care about.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
The only thing so far I really, really don't like...is having to constantly hold X while riding the horse solo (yes, you can tap it, but just as annoying). Why oh why didn't they add a toggle like when running on foot.

Well, maybe two things. Didn't RDR 1 have an "auto stay on the path" mechanic?

Sometimes, when you're riding with your group, holding X while close will follow the group leader, other times it forgets and you're running into a tree or falling into a ravine.

Zep--

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
-The masks don't seem to work and the bounty system is a pain. RDR1 didn't have this problem so it's a downgrade.
To be fair to the game, the masks do work, but you have to put the mask on while still outside of town, then after the robbery or whatever, get out of town, change your clothes, change your horse, and ofc. remove the mask, in order to not be recognized when you return to town.

PrettyDeadman

The only thing so far I really, really don't like...is having to constantly hold X while riding the horse solo (yes, you can tap it, but just as annoying). Why oh why didn't they add a toggle like when running on foot.

Well, maybe two things. Didn't RDR 1 have an "auto stay on the path" mechanic?

Sometimes, when you're riding with your group, holding X while close will follow the group leader, other times it forgets and you're running into a tree or falling into a ravine.

Zep--
So, you like RDR2 and don't like Grimoire?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Another argument for the PC release expectations:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/28/18035424/red-dead-redemption-2-pc-version-app
Red Dead Redemption 2 app buries seeming PC hints
The fervor for this console exclusive to hit desktops keeps growing
Red Dead Redemption 2 is only on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One right now, but Rockstar Games fans say they've found a good sign that a Windows PC version could eventually arrive too. The game's mobile companion app seems to hint that PC and perhaps even VR compatibility are in the works.

Rockstar Intel dug into the RDR2 mobile app to find several strings that include words like "PC" and "Oculus." The fan site's post mostly comprises a dense list of code, but they pulled out the relevant bits for readers.

The most interesting parameters are so:

PARAM_FrameLimit - A framelimiter.

PARAM_DX11Use8BitTargets - Probably due to Xbox One.

PARAM_HDStreamingInFlight - Present in GTA V (PC)

PARAM_Oculus

PARAM_companionAutoConnectIpDurango

PARAM_companionAutoConnectIpOrbis

PARAM_companionAutoConnectIpPC

PARAM_singleThreadedRendererPostFX::g_CheckerBoardEnable

It's possible that the PC references are pointing only to a desktop app for the game alongside the iOS and Android ones, although we're not sure what accounts for the Oculus mention. But Rockstar has a habit of burying its own lede when it comes to PC ports. Despite insisting that Grand Theft Auto 5 would be exclusive to consoles, for example, the studio ended up pushing it to PCs after launch.

Maybe we'll see Red Dead on PC somewhere down the line. We've asked Rockstar to confirm. But we're happy with the beautiful game we've got on console for now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another argument for the PC release expectations

In this day and age it'd be very surprising if a triple A game came only on consoles. Have we seen any console-only big budget games in the recent years? Can't remember. Brand exclusives will always be a thing, sure, but if you're making a 100 million triple A game with you can't really ignore a third of the market, even if you're a Rockstar.

AwesomeButton

Patron
IMO, these variable names don't mean anything definitive. Could be just leftover code from GTA V's companion app, it would have been rather surprising if there was nothing.

Another argument for the PC release expectations

In this day and age it'd be very surprising if a triple A game came only on consoles. Have we seen any console-only big budget games in the recent years? Can't remember. Brand exclusives will always be a thing, sure, but if you're making a 100 million triple A game with you can't really ignore a third of the market, even if you're a Rockstar.
You are right, but I don't think this particular thing is a big clue.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Except for there's plenty of crafting now only it's cosmetic (you can pretty up your guns but not improve their functionality even though the guns have stats like damage, accuracy, etc, 5 or 6 stats)
Improving weapons' stats through crafting may be going a bit too far in the gamey direction, purely from realism perspective.
I'm talking about something like this:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Except for there's plenty of crafting now only it's cosmetic (you can pretty up your guns but not improve their functionality even though the guns have stats like damage, accuracy, etc, 5 or 6 stats)
Improving weapons' stats through crafting may be going a bit too far in the gamey direction, purely from realism perspective.
I'm talking about something like this:

This particular example of weapons crafting/enhancement is more on the comedy side. You could argue that you just meant "something in the lines of what the video shows", i.e. more basic modifications in terms of craftsmanship. I guess something like for example wrapping leather around a revolver grip to slightly improve accuracy would be believable. Modifying the cartridge for greater stopping power would also be interesting. But anyway, the main problem isn't that there are or there aren't upgrades, but that what upgrades exist make next to no difference whether you use them or not.

What they have seems to be a system of weapon cleaning - where you can wipe your gun just before going into a fight, and weapon upgrades which slightly improve stats, but how much this effect can be felt, I leave for people who are playing the game to say: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/26...emption-2-guide/how-to-customize-your-weapons

Vault Dweller

Developer
This particular example of weapons crafting/enhancement is more on the comedy side. You could argue that you just meant "something in the lines of what the video shows", i.e. more basic modifications in terms of craftsmanship. I guess something like for example wrapping leather around a revolver grip to slightly improve accuracy would be believable.
I'd say that swapping a barrel to improve accuracy would make a lot more sense.

What they have seems to be a system of weapon cleaning - where you can wipe your gun just before going into a fight, and weapon upgrades which slightly improve stats, but how much this effect can be felt, I leave for people who are playing the game to say: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/26...emption-2-guide/how-to-customize-your-weapons
I don't do any maintenance which doesn't seem to affect my shooting. I broke a guy out of jail last night and had to shoot my way out of town. The biggest challenge there was finding the right balance between looting bodies and protecting the guy who was charging ahead (if he dies, the mission is over). Killing was no challenge at all, unfortunately, and I can't think of a game where killing a dozen or so 'ranged' enemies was that easy. No exaggeration.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't do any maintenance which doesn't seem to affect my shooting. I broke a guy out of jail last night and had to shoot my way out of town. The biggest challenge there was finding the right balance between looting bodies and protecting the guy who was charging ahead (if he dies, the mission is over). Killing was no challenge at all, unfortunately, and I can't think of a game where killing a dozen or so 'ranged' enemies was that easy. No exaggeration.
Maintenance of weapons is a tricky mechanic to implement meaningfully - if you make it too noticeable and requiring input too often, it will be annoying. If you make it hardly noticeable, you end up in RDR2's situation.

I found it nice in KCD, but there was this thing that you were seeing it in terms of numbers: "95%", etc. This made me strive to always keep it at 100%.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Not true about Valve. The fanboyism is coming from the casual masses not the fans of their games. Dota 2 and CSGO players don't hold Valve on same level as typical Sony fanboy for example does.

Drakron

Arcane

We will see when the Online mode is released, I suspect we will see something like GTA Online.

Also from what I seen its not even a decent pacing, even GTA V had a idea of where you were going by giving the MC some immediate objectives as RDR2 seems to be just "do stuff" without much of a overall goal besides "talk to X, do what he asks", if anything RDR2 lacks a story and I do think making this about Dutch Gang AGAIN was a mistake, one of the strengths of GTA is that it switches locations, characters and even timeline so each game is unique as RDR2 doesnt set itself too far from the previous game in any area and yes, you can make a western that is different from others such as the first RDR game that is set when the Wild West is in its Twilight.

Its seems to me that its a "game" but its just a open world game that forces you down a path of "character stories" you dont end up invested much since its a prequel (and so you know what happens) at the same time is so "simulator" that you just busy work for the sake of simulation that is mostly pointless because its a game, also it lacks the stronger satire of GTA series as the first game was mostly somber and quite frankly from what I see, this game is just dull and doesnt seem to be taking risks at all.

AwesomeButton

Patron
We will see when the Online mode is released, I suspect we will see something like GTA Online.
I've made attempts to play GTA Online, but it was really pointless. The servers are full of dumb kids, when you go on a heist, there is usually some idiot who keeps screwing up the mission and you have to reload at a checkpoint, and the other modes/minigames were pretty dull. The only one I found relatively interesting was the deathmatch, although it was still 3rd person, so I don't know...

I guess I'm just a player looking for immersion in a game like GTA, and for pure deathmatch there are far better games. Might also be helpful if I could play with people I know and can coordinate with.

Drakron

Arcane
The reason I said that is considering how much money they make with Shark cards in GTA Online and the fact RDR2 multiplayer was delayed I suspect they will try the same thing, this explains why we are in a gang so they can use the system for Robberies. There are a lot of cosmetic options in RDR2 but there are still things missing ... there is the camp but there is no Real Estate, a lot of things are simply missing were in GTA V you can live *the* life in RDR2 you just live *a* life and thats the problem since as a online game it cannot work the same way as GTA Online in terms on monetization.

Its not that its going to make the game better, might give some life so you can play it without having to be "Arthur".

AwesomeButton

Patron
Just a tangent, not contradicting your point. Also, I need to make some research before I claim this with full certainty, but I don't think the accuracy of revolvers and pistols was a big concern when choosing how to enhance your weapon. I imagine reliability and stopping power would have taken a higher priority. Firearms training and practical guidelines on behavior and tactics in a firefight were a long way from emerging during RDR2's timeframe. When the majority of firefights were (and still are, in urban environments) occurring at distances of 10-50 feet (3-15m) aiming was predominantly instinctive and the weapon's accuracy was hardly subject to tests, measurements etc. I imagine that for an RDR2 inhabitant, it would have been a bigger concern that his revolver didn't jam than how accurate it is when tested in an improvised shooting range.

This reminds me - do we have any info if the game features weapons jamming when not maintained? Enemies' weapons jamming would have also been cool, though I suppose this was not implemented, to save on AI programming resources.

The reason I said that is considering how much money they make with Shark cards in GTA Online and the fact RDR2 multiplayer was delayed I suspect they will try the same thing, this explains why we are in a gang so they can use the system for Robberies. There are a lot of cosmetic options in RDR2 but there are still things missing ... there is the camp but there is no Real Estate, a lot of things are simply missing were in GTA V you can live *the* life in RDR2 you just live *a* life and thats the problem since as a online game it cannot work the same way as GTA Online in terms on monetization.

Its not that its going to make the game better, might give some life so you can play it without having to be "Arthur".
I think it's all down to what kind of modes they will come up with. They could turn it into a big cops vs robbers thing where you are playing a 3rd person CS:GO/CoD, and they will still have great options for how to monetize it.

Machocruz

Arcane

I think with developers like these their design spec starts with "Is open world," then "is story." Mechanics, core gameplay are a secondary concern. Wasn't the world the first point stressed in CDPRs promo material when TW3 was announced? Terrible way to design a "game," imo, but good for designing an "experience." How you start is how you finish, as the saying goes.

Then there is Rockstar specifically. Their mission design just isn't very good. It's tedious. Goals halfway across the map from the goal giver. Lead by the nose through each step of said goal. And very simplistic goals at that. Way too many missions. After a while I dreaded doing story missions in RDR1, even though I liked the characters and writing. I spent most of my time on hunts and finding outfits. I already knew how the story ended, so I never finished it. Why? Doesn't seem like it was getting better the further it went on. I had good times with it, no need to sink anymore into it.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Not true about Valve. The fanboyism is coming from the casual masses not the fans of their games. Dota 2 and CSGO players don't hold Valve on same level as typical Sony fanboy for example does.
True.

But, I'm pretty sure Half-life is still spoken of today because they have a legitimate hoard of fans. On paper, not many could sell a "single player, linear-FPS" now and draw attention - unless it were Valve.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Just a tangent, not contradicting your point. Also, I need to make some research before I claim this with full certainty, but I don't think the accuracy of revolvers and pistols was a big concern when choosing how to enhance your weapon.
I agree but since accuracy is one of the weapon stats (that changes from pistol to pistol), allowing you to improve accuracy by upgrading the barrel would have been nice and easily fit the existing system.

This reminds me - do we have any info if the game features weapons jamming when not maintained? Enemies' weapons jamming would have also been cool, though I suppose this was not implemented, to save on AI programming resources.
Haven't seen it yet.

How's the first RDR game, btw? Any good?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Never played it, it was consoles-only :)

I agree but since accuracy is one of the weapon stats (that changes from pistol to pistol), allowing you to improve accuracy by upgrading the barrel would have been nice and easily fit the existing system.
This makes me wonder if it was even a good decision to include accuracy as a stat for handguns. Tells you how much effort they must have put into changes to the shooting mechanics for RDR2. I guess they just went with what they had in place for GTA V.

Since we are on the subject of accuracy, it was really weird for me to watch Arthur and Marston buy a sniper rifle(!) with the rationale to use it in order to scare off farm hands(!) guarding a sheep herd(!) :lol: A rifle with a telescopic sight being available for purchase in a town such as Valentine is crazy enough on its own. I really doubt these things were mass-produced at that time, so it must have cost a serious amount of money, and a shop in a small town would have hardly had this available off the shelf.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I agree but since accuracy is one of the weapon stats (that changes from pistol to pistol), allowing you to improve accuracy by upgrading the barrel would have been nice and easily fit the existing system

This is in the game. I put extra sights and a long barrel on my revolver. The little stat bars go up. Not sure how much effect it has though, I didn't notice much. Accuracy would probably affect the speed of the aiming crosshair shrinking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom