Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the speed of the aiming crosshair shrinking
Lol, if there is anything that makes sense to be improved with an increase of the player character's "skill" (as opposed to a weapon mod), it's this.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
the speed of the aiming crosshair shrinking
Lol, if there is anything that makes sense to be improved with an increase of the player character's "skill" (as opposed to a weapon mod), it's this.

That reminds me, there is also a Weapon Familiarity stat in the compendium under weapons, according to the game that increases aiming speed and reloading too.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's cool, if it's something like the horse "bonding" and increases with use, it makes a lot of sense.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
How's the first RDR game, btw? Any good?

It is a game that I enjoyed a lot back in the day. But honestly speaking, if you're not liking RDR2 probably you won't like the first one. It's pretty similar in everything, lacking some features of the sequel of course. Good atmosphere, pretty decent story (I really like it but from a critical perspective is maybe too cliche inside of the western scene). Missions are GTA like, which means they have only one solution (I mention this because I saw what you wrote earlier in the thread). Secondary content are usually hunts, minigames and secrets. The Undead nightmare though is so great that I recommend it to everyone who likes zombies. Has some good black humour attached to its story, which is pretty ridiculous by its own merits but is the way it should be.

The worst thing is that if you want to play these games, you should do it on a Xbox one with retrocompatibility (Which improves the games technically speaking). The 360 and PS3 versions are very dated, I put the game on the PS3 three weeks ago and the resolution is too poor. Wait for a next gen or a PC port, I guess it will arrive soon along with the PC version of RDR2.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Interesting, so there is reactivity to clothing outfits, though no quest reactivity to clothing outfits. I knew there was reactivity to how dirty you are. Nice of him to point out the gunfights as a weak part of the game. And I'd say this is a serious disappointment for a western themed game. I wish rockstar had shown some of Sawyer's attention to detail with regards to the systems. He had said he wanted to have all the weapons and ammo types in New Vegas because he felt they would contribute to the atmosphere of a western game.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
The Undead nightmare though is so great that I recommend it to everyone who likes zombies.

I dunno, I watched some footage of it and all I saw was the player running up to zombies and shotgunning them in the face, and using the freeze time and murder everything power in the few occasions when there actually was a large group of em.
I actually watched a full play through of it because I was bored and the writing was boring as well.

Deflowerer

Arcane
The Undead nightmare though is so great that I recommend it to everyone who likes zombies.

I dunno, I watched some footage of it and all I saw was the player running up to zombies and shotgunning them in the face, and using the freeze time and murder everything power in the few occasions when there actually was a large group of em.
I actually watched a full play through of it because I was bored and the writing was boring as well.

Might you be one of those...Jewish British Catholic Homosexual elites?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/30/red-dead-redemption-2-opening-weekend-record/

Rockstar is fond of bragging that its games break records, and it's not about to be humble following the launch of Red Dead Redemption 2. The developer claims that its open-world Western set the record for the largest opening weekend in the "history of entertainment." It's not saying how many copies it sold, but the debut amounted to $725 million in worldwide retail sell-through (sales to actual customers, not stores) over three days. That's no mean feat for a sequel in a franchise that has typically played second fiddle to Grand Theft Auto.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Little surprising. The better it sells on consoles, the more probable they release it for PC.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Take with a pinch of sodium chloride:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9sahto/some_information_on_red_dead_redemption_2/

Some information on Red Dead Redemption 2 Remastered, Bully 2 and GTA VI
renderTimingPixel.png

Below is some information I obtained from a friend of mine who works at Rockstar. They gave me permission to post this as they are 100% confident that enough Rockstar employees know of the information that it won't trace back to them. Some will be skeptical, and I understand, but all I can say is that I've been around for a while, have over 60k karma, have been gifted gold several times for my posts, and have never made a post with false information.

Now for some tidbits:

• Following Red Dead Redemption 2 going gold a relatively small group of employees immediately began work on a remaster which will release at the end of 2020 to coincide with the release of next-gen consoles (Rockstar had to pull back on a lot of things because of current-gen limits, as surprising as it may sound given how amazing it looks)

• Most of Rockstar has begun working full-time on Bully 2, which will release in the first half of 2020; this seems soon, but they already have the engine in place and plan to have a game-world that's only slightly bigger than the first Bully, allowing them to finish the game much faster than GTA or Red Dead

• Preliminary work has begin on GTA VI, but it won't be until the release of Bully 2 that pretty much all of Rockstar will focus on it, similar to what they did with RDR2

• The plan is to release GTA VI in at the end of 2023, but the team knows that 2024 may be a more realistic goal
That's it for now - sorry that it's all kind of vague, but it sort of has to be in order to not f*** with my friend's career.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Take with a pinch of sodium chloride:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9sahto/some_information_on_red_dead_redemption_2/

Some information on Red Dead Redemption 2 Remastered, Bully 2 and GTA VI
renderTimingPixel.png

Below is some information I obtained from a friend of mine who works at Rockstar. They gave me permission to post this as they are 100% confident that enough Rockstar employees know of the information that it won't trace back to them. Some will be skeptical, and I understand, but all I can say is that I've been around for a while, have over 60k karma, have been gifted gold several times for my posts, and have never made a post with false information.

Now for some tidbits:

• Following Red Dead Redemption 2 going gold a relatively small group of employees immediately began work on a remaster which will release at the end of 2020 to coincide with the release of next-gen consoles (Rockstar had to pull back on a lot of things because of current-gen limits, as surprising as it may sound given how amazing it looks)

• Most of Rockstar has begun working full-time on Bully 2, which will release in the first half of 2020; this seems soon, but they already have the engine in place and plan to have a game-world that's only slightly bigger than the first Bully, allowing them to finish the game much faster than GTA or Red Dead

• Preliminary work has begin on GTA VI, but it won't be until the release of Bully 2 that pretty much all of Rockstar will focus on it, similar to what they did with RDR2

• The plan is to release GTA VI in at the end of 2023, but the team knows that 2024 may be a more realistic goal
That's it for now - sorry that it's all kind of vague, but it sort of has to be in order to not f*** with my friend's career.
If that turns out true, then it's all going by the GTA V schedule, although the remaster is to take 2 years instead of one. The only thing missing is the PC announcement, but I guess it's too early for this to show up even as a leak right now.

If we accept that a remaster is in the works though, we can expect Rockstar to be calculating to finance its production with revenue from RDR2 Online - another argument in favor of eventually releasing for PC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have been watching people "play" this on twitch for a few days:
Bad:
1. "Play" - there is very little actual gameplay in this game that does not involve endless riding of horses from places or having cinematic conversations with others that offer no choices of response.
2. Gunplay - from what I can see your character is almost immortal and can take multiple shots from enemies with basically no penalty. Combat is often stand still and shoot at anything that moves. Allowing time stop with any weapon at any situation only makes it worse.
3. Very little CC - you don't even get to choose responses in dialogues. At best you can kill or spare some random characters. This is a bit more complex "choose your own story" kind of game.

Good:
1. Graphics and atmosphere - both are awesome. They really put a lot of effort into this, there is so much little details all over the game
2. Sound and voice acting - really good to outstanding.
3. Authenticity - women don't get leading roles and blacks are rare. Everyone uses offensive language and treats women like they were at the time. They have names for black people and others and they use them. Nobody is trying to act like a 21st century good guy and nobody preaches 21st century morals.

AwesomeButton

Patron
If anything comes as a surprise it's the number of people willing to pay $60 for the privilege of wandering through the world and progressing an interactive movie.

Are actual games going to be a niche thing (once again), while mass entertainment migrates from cinemas towards this kind of interactive CGI movie?

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also I forgot to add under Bad:
4. The amount of enemies you kill during combat parts is hilarious. I think this guy kills more people than Arnold did in Commando. And in this game I think more people die ON SCREEN than all Western movies put together

EDIT: I think if they made combat more tactical and more deadly with less enemies to mindlessly murder it would have improved the actual gameplay parts.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I think the basic idea at Rockstar was "let's create the best Western possible" rather than "let's create the best game possible".

R* are storyfags first and foremost and I don't blame them. At least they take their craft seriously, unlike most other amateurs in this industry.

Bocian

Arcane
Nobody is trying to act like a 21st century good guy and nobody preaches 21st century morals.
Not true, sadly, vide the timestamped moment below.

There are a few more moments like this further in the game. The story declines in the last chapters when the main heroes side with "muh oppressed indians" and massacre a few hundred of US army soldiers because they're "savages". All villains, sellouts and antagonists in the game are white men, the writers and designers doing everything to paint them as evil, by their behavior and even physical appearance - merciless capitalist Cornwall, ruthless agent Milton, deceptive Italian mafioso, two Southern families (with everyone repeating thousands of times how retarded and inbred they are, ad nauseam), Spanish plantation owner oppressing muh black slaves - and an Army colonel, who of course is stupid, undisciplined, drunk, wants to fight for the sake of it and goes against a noble captain who helps and cares for the natives. It's all extremely cringy cliches, but can be overlooked or ignored because the whole story is generally good and engaging. Main characters are likeable too, especially due to amazingly good voice acting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nobody is trying to act like a 21st century good guy and nobody preaches 21st century morals.

There are a few more moments like this further in the game. The story declines in the last chapters when the main heroes side with "muh oppressed indians" and massacre a few hundred of US army soldiers because they're "savages". All villains, sellouts and antagonists in the game are white men, the writers and designers doing everything to paint them as evil, by their behavior and even physical appearance - merciless capitalist Cornwall, ruthless agent Milton, deceptive Italian mafioso, two Southern families (with everyone repeating thousands of times how retarded and inbred they are, ad nauseam), Spanish plantation owner oppressing muh black slaves - and an Army colonel, who of course is stupid, undisciplined, drunk, wants to fight for the sake of it and goes against a noble captain who helps and cares for the natives. It's all extremely cringy cliches, but can be overlooked or ignored because the whole story is generally good and engaging. Main characters are likeable too, especially due to amazingly good voice acting.

Well none of those stories or villains are new to Westerns. Those have been villains since first movies. I would not call that SJW, just Western cliches like you said.
And of course bad people are white man, just as they were in all old Westerns. Just like most of the main characters are white men. As I said, game does not put non whites all over just for SJW sake.
It is least SJW focused AAA game that I have seen in a few years.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
2. Gunplay - from what I can see your character is almost immortal and can take multiple shots from enemies with basically no penalty. Combat is often stand still and shoot at anything that moves. Allowing time stop with any weapon at any situation only makes it worse.
3. Very little CC - you don't even get to choose responses in dialogues. At best you can kill or spare some random characters. This is a bit more complex "choose your own story" kind of game.

1. Combat is definitely a little tougher; if you get caught out in the open you'll die pretty quick, but hiding behind a small tree or rock does make you more or less invincible. I got into a fight with some bandits around a stagecoach who split up and flanked me, but that could merely be a pathfinding quirk. Some enemies seem to stay back and take potshots, others will charge you. You have two health bars, when the first one is gone you are in a crippled state and further damage can knock you down, off your horse, etc. I got ambushed and they kept shooting me off my horse which made escape impossible. If you are popped out of cover, the game forces you down when the enemies shoot at you, effectively giving them suppressing fire. Health regen is very slow so it's useless in combat, but there are 'health tonics' you can chug easily. Still a fairly popamole game, but not as bad as the first RDR.

2. There are dialogue choices and they give a few options but its nothing major. e.g. in one story mission you have to convince a guy to leave a cult, you can pick the right dialogue to do it peacefully or get into a gunfight with them. Then no matter what you do you get into a scripted chase sequence where the guy always outpaces you no matter what until you are separated by a train, and then he tries to kill himself (which serves as the game's quickdraw duel tutorial, of all things.)

3. Calling it an interactive movie is very strange, I played it for several hours last night and never watched a cutscene. I hunted several animals, found a bunch of treasure, robbed a stage coach, upgraded the camp, tamed a rare horse, and completed several challenges. This was all standard open-world gameplay, not a linear MGS cutscene or CoD corridor-shooter.

4. There is a lot of talking on horseback, I called the first game "Red Dead Talking On The Way To Places." Truthfully I wished there was more fast travel, the game is huge and you spend a lot of time riding around. But the game does try to keep things interesting with random encounters, plus the conversations are meant to fill the gap, and there are often several dialogue options about things to discuss.

Besides, fast travel is often disparaged on this board as codexers claim the player *should* be forced to schlep all over the map themselves.

The big issue with the game right now is the bounty and wanted system, you can get a bounty for trivial reasons and it effectively locks you out of a region until you pay it off or leave and wait a long time, as full posses of hunters will attack you almost non-stop. it makes crime very hard to pull off as no one has figured out a reliable way to use hoods or disguises yet. I guess that's the point, they want you to feel like an outlaw who is on the run all the time, but it seems a bit excessive.

That is clearly meant to feed into the story of RDR1, so it's prequel baggage. Also, dude, spoilers.

AwesomeButton

Patron
no one has figured out a reliable way to use hoods or disguises yet
What about this, doesn't it work:
-The masks don't seem to work and the bounty system is a pain. RDR1 didn't have this problem so it's a downgrade.
To be fair to the game, the masks do work, but you have to put the mask on while still outside of town, then after the robbery or whatever, get out of town, change your clothes, change your horse, and ofc. remove the mask, in order to not be recognized when you return to town.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom