Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Solid Snail

Learned
Not a single patch released for the game yet. I didn't trigger too many bugs, I dodged the missing characters one which seems to be the biggest so far, but there are plenty of annoying things Rockstar needs to fix. the input lag is noticeable, the missing weapons bug shouldn't exist, on PS4 Pro HDR is totally broken and it makes the game looking much worse, and when you enter Saint Denis there are frames dropping everywhere. Also had my first hard crash today during the poker mission on the boat in Saint Denis.

Sentinel

Arcane
Rockstar has never been a "patching" kind of studio. That kinda adds to their mystique. They spend 8 years completely silent, launch a game and proceed to go into hiding again. Interviews with any developers/owners are extremely rare too.
I was hoping they'd change their ways in a post Witcher 3 world (a major release that saw major systems reworked post launch with free patches) but no such luck.

Solid Snail

Learned
Rockstar has never been a "patching" kind of studio. That kinda adds to their mystique. They spend 8 years completely silent, launch a game and proceed to go into hiding again. Interviews with any developers/owners are extremely rare too.
I was hoping they'd change their ways in a post Witcher 3 world (a major release that saw major systems reworked post launch with free patches) but no such luck.
Yeah, it's usual Rockstar business. I mean, half their games on Steam are just broken or doesn't work properly, for a company like Rockstar fixing those things would be the bare minimum to do. GTAIV is still filled with drm like Securom with no real reason, or GFWL, Manhunt needs a crack to run on moder OS, LA Noire got a remastered but the Steam release for some users doesn't even boot. At least Red Dead 2 is very polished considering the king of game it is, but still there are bugs and they are annoying to deal with. I'm not even sure if they are holding on because patching a game on console cost money, because when you sell 100 milion copies of a game and every title you release is an hit, I'm pretty sure you can afford patches for all your games.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Yeah, it's usual Rockstar business. I mean, half their games on Steam are just broken or doesn't work properly, for a company like Rockstar fixing those things would be the bare minimum to do. GTAIV is still filled with drm like Securom with no real reason, or GFWL, Manhunt needs a crack to run on moder OS, LA Noire got a remastered but the Steam release for some users doesn't even boot. At least Red Dead 2 is very polished considering the king of game it is, but still there are bugs and they are annoying to deal with. I'm not even sure if they are holding on because patching a game on console cost money, because when you sell 100 milion copies of a game and every title you release is an hit, I'm pretty sure you can afford patches for all your games.
Max Payne 3 now pauses constantly for me, as if I'm pressing Esc. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. Finally gave up and deleted it. Upsetting.

Sentinel

Arcane
Max Payne 3 now pauses constantly for me, as if I'm pressing Esc. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. Finally gave up and deleted it. Upsetting.
Remove your Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Heck, money is absolutely no issue at all for Rockstar. GTA5's microtransactions alone are a prepostrous mountain of cash for them.

Solid Snail

Learned
Heck, money is absolutely no issue at all for Rockstar. GTA5's microtransactions alone are a prepostrous mountain of cash for them.
It's what I wrote. They simply not care, and the fact they keep selling games which simply do not work without modding or cracks (or just don't work like La Noire, at least according to what several people reported in the Steam community hub) is even worse, because I think removing Securom and GFWL while making a compatibility patch for their games so they can run on modern OS is not asking the moon.

Solid Snail

Learned
Anyway dunno if it's a bug or what, I'm in chapter 5 and my 700$ bounty from Saint Denis is gone. Of course I didn't pay for it, nor had notifications about the bounty being removed. also according to the Rockstar Social Club I cleared out some chapter 6 missions despite being in chapter 5. Those are side-missions, but I wonder if they unlocked earlier for some reasons or what, it never happened until now.

Red Rogue

Learned
I'm getting to the point where I don't feel like doing any side content unless it's the straightforward stranger missions. I'm bored with hunting, legendary fishing, collectables, etc.

I think Rockstar anticipated that people will just look up collectible locations, because they would take the better part of a year if you tried to find them unassisted. I suppose it was the same with the hidden packages/pigeons/etc in other Rockstar games, but those game worlds weren't quite as hard to navigate.

Not to mention, the rewards are unimpressive. I spent 1.5 hrs tracking down the rock carving locations and all you get is a $50 statue and a short (albeit fascinating) cut scene.

Solid Snail

Learned
I'm getting to the point where I don't feel like doing any side content unless it's the straightforward stranger missions. I'm bored with hunting, legendary fishing, collectables, etc.

I think Rockstar anticipated that people will just look up collectible locations, because they would take the better part of a year if you tried to find them unassisted. I suppose it was the same with the hidden packages/pigeons/etc in other Rockstar games, but those game worlds weren't quite as hard to navigate.

Not to mention, the rewards are unimpressive. I spent 1.5 hrs tracking down the rock carving locations and all you get is a $50 statue and a short (albeit fascinating) cut scene.
Than don't do those. You really miss nothing if you do not complete hunts etc, for now I killed only 78 animals and got one legendary fish because they were on my road, but I only did strange missions so far and there's still too much content. They literally filled the game with stuff which could be avoided and nobody would miss it. The reward is just a trophy, because for 100% completion you don't even need to skin all animals etc.

Red Rogue

Learned

Than don't do those. You really miss nothing if you do not complete hunts etc, for now I killed only 78 animals and got one legendary fish because they were on my road, but I only did strange missions so far and there's still too much content. They literally filled the game with stuff which could be avoided and nobody would miss it. The reward is just a trophy, because for 100% completion you don't even need to skin all animals etc.

I didn't mean to imply that because I'm tiring of the sideshow stuff, that it's a negative fault of the game. I should probably have made that clear. I think it's a great thing that those systems are included. Even If I'm choosing to not directly interact with them anymore, I feel that their existence naturally makes the complete product feel more realized.

I'm doing as you mentioned, disengaging with hunting/fishing/collecting and just enjoying the main story plus some stranger missions.

Solid Snail

Learned

I didn't mean to imply that because I'm tiring of the sideshow stuff, that it's a negative fault of the game. I should probably have made that clear. I think it's a great thing that those systems are included. Even If I'm choosing to not directly interact with them anymore, I feel that their existence naturally makes the complete product feel more realized.

I'm doing as you mentioned, disengaging with hunting/fishing/collecting and just enjoying the main story plus some stranger missions.
The "problem" for me it's the fact thei tied some trophies to get all animals and collectibles, and there's an insane amount of them. It's baffling if you consider for 100% completion is not even needed to study and skin all animals. I mean, in the end I don't care of trophies so much, but I remember I did all single-player trophies for Red Dead 1 (leaving all the multiplayer ones because I didn't like the multi) and I wanted to do the same in RDR2, but there's simply too much stuff and when you cleared the game with all sides, hunting collectibles for 30 hours is not that fun.

Sentinel

Arcane
unknown.png

imweasel

This game has gotten so fucking boring that I just want it to end. Games likes Breath of the Wild, Witcher 3 or even Skyrim (!!!) are leaps and bounds better. Same goes for GTA.

:flamesaw:

The bad:
Nothing you do matters. Hunting is boring. Fishing is boring. Too many derpy side quests and tasks. The game and UI are clunky. Dead eye makes every fight trivial. Everything in the games feels so samey. You can buy shitloads of useless clothes, but can only have four horses (WUT). Crafting is a travesty. The writing and story are just crap. The companions are boring. The Sheriff will try to have you murdered if you punch somebody and have a bounty of just five dollars on your head (WAT). The list goes on.

The good:
Voice acting is EXCELLENT!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Arcane
Wrong. If a sheriff spots a fight and you don't kill the other guy he'll leave you alone. If he sees you started it he'll chase you. Anyway, even if he does chase you, let him come after you and defuse the situation. Most times the sheriff will let you off with a warning.

The other complaints are just retardation and buzzwords.

Last edited:

Red Rogue

Learned

The "problem" for me it's the fact thei tied some trophies to get all animals and collectibles, and there's an insane amount of them. It's baffling if you consider for 100% completion is not even needed to study and skin all animals. I mean, in the end I don't care of trophies so much, but I remember I did all single-player trophies for Red Dead 1 (leaving all the multiplayer ones because I didn't like the multi) and I wanted to do the same in RDR2, but there's simply too much stuff and when you cleared the game with all sides, hunting collectibles for 30 hours is not that fun.

True enough, I can relate. I also pushed for all achievements in RDR, that game completely hooked me.
I don't bother with achievements these days unless it's a console exclusive game that I truly adore, and the collectibles surely don't feel compelling enough for me to make that push this time around.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The collectibles were much more fun to get in God of War for example, maybe the smallest of game world and length make it more bearable to find the little things hidden away.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Holy shit, I thought God of War was so painfully mediocre.

Get MacGuffin 1 and take it to magical place 1. Oh no, somebody messed with Magical Place 1, so you need to get MacGuffin 2 from Magial place 2. Now get MacGuffin 2 to Magical Place 1. Congratulations, now you are ready to get MacGuffin 3! Over and over again. This is the entire game.

The writers didn't even attempt to mask this shit with interesting characters or storylines.

Collecting shit might be better in God of War if you look at it in a vacuum (and who cares about collecting random shit???), but there's nothing in that game that made me care about anything. Say what you want about its gameplay, but Red Dead has at least a really good cast and a main character with an excellent arc. Arthur's relationship with his fucking horse has more depth and nuance than Kratos and his stupid son.

imweasel

You consider the writing in Red Dead Redemption 2 to be decent or even good? :lol: The first 10 hours are real good, but it is pretty much shit after that.

In any case God of War is leaps and bounds better than Retard Redemption 2. Especially the combat.

EDIT: Well, some Codex Retards sure do get mad when someone points out that their popamole is fucking boring ass garbage. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom