Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Solid Snail

Learned
Did you play RDO? I still can't access it but I read nothing but grind reports. If I don't give a fuck about cosmetic items I'm still able to proceed with the main missions or there's a barrier here and I need to grind for gold bars in order to pass it?

Bocian

Arcane
Did you play RDO?
YatWYaj.png

73uvra1.png

Oh no, it's retarded.

Solid Snail

Learned
Honestly I'm playing it and I'm having no problems. We knew microtransactions were in (since Rockstar also gave money with the Ultimate Edition), but I'm progressing just fine with default weapons, I did like 5 story missions and a bunch of stranger ones and I died maybe twice.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The only significant issue so far is the non stop griefing from other players, while its not especially hard to kill another player (auto aim, low health), being caught unaware while in the menu or just riding around, is almost always a death sentence.

Solid Snail

Learned
The only significant issue so far is the non stop griefing from other players, while its not especially hard to kill another player (auto aim, low health), being caught unaware while in the menu or just riding around, is almost always a death sentence.
I need to be honest: I only got killed once by another player, and this is because I killed him first to see if I could loot the body, so he respawned and killed me. I'm having zero problems on completing missions so far, but maybe it's because I don't see many players in the server, there are maybe like 7 pink spots on the map.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I finished this game some days ago and I must say that I enjoyed a lot. I do think it has some problems though:

- The main missions are very limited in some cases, to the point of causing very stupid situations. Like failing a quest because the diligence you must raid goes out of the road, crashing and getting destroyed... but if you do it properly, later in the mission it crashes anyway leading to a shooting sequence.
- The overall design of the TPS mechanics. They feel like they aren't evolved at all from the first game, or even from GTAIV.
- The imput lag of the game is ridiculously high, and I do think that it is what makes aiming without autoaim so unprecise. For me, is a very serious problem.

I did enjoy a lot the atmosphere, the visuals, the story, certain gameplay mechanics and even the music. I think it lands in the side of the twitcher 10/10 goty and games like that. I'm even thinking in replaying it from start, because there's a lot of things (Side-quests mainly) that I lost because I quite rushed the main story. But also there's a lot of other games that I want to play and things I want to do.

Big No

Novice
According to people who got to play the multiplayer beta, RDRO is essentially GTAO all over again in all the worst ways. You need to pay for your camp's "utilities" every day, the average mission pays out $10 or so (though I've read some lucky folks could get up to $100 though it's theorized to be random) and some of the weapons cost $1000. Wandering around the map can result in you losing more money (I'm not sure how yet, maybe the camp utilities?) which encourages the use of fast travel over any real exploration.

Also there's Shark Cards Gold Bars that you can use to speed things up, either by earning them every 8 hours or getting them the proper way via wallet. "THERE JUZT COSMETIC GUEZ!!!"

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
- The overall design of the TPS mechanics. They feel like they aren't evolved at all from the first game, or even from GTAIV.
- The imput lag of the game is ridiculously high, and I do think that it is what makes aiming without autoaim so unprecise. For me, is a very serious problem.
They honestly haven't evolved their combat since Vice City and San Andreas.

As for the input lag, the thing is that there's so many completely ostentatiously overdone animations. Like, look at how much goddamn obsessive detail goes just into the way Arthur turns. Though at least they finally stopped ragdolls possibly lasting up to 30 seconds before your guy decides that he's spent enough time falling down.

Red Rogue

Learned
I finished this game some days ago and I must say that I enjoyed a lot. I do think it has some problems though:

- The main missions are very limited in some cases, to the point of causing very stupid situations. Like failing a quest because the diligence you must raid goes out of the road, crashing and getting destroyed... but if you do it properly, later in the mission it crashes anyway leading to a shooting sequence.

I did enjoy a lot the atmosphere, the visuals, the story, certain gameplay mechanics and even the music. I think it lands in the side of the twitcher 10/10 goty and games like that. I'm even thinking in replaying it from start, because there's a lot of things (Side-quests mainly) that I lost because I quite rushed the main story. But also there's a lot of other games that I want to play and things I want to do.

Couldn't have said it better. I think that's the book on the game, really.

Clunky, feels like you're walking around with mud in your boots. But the Rockstar detail, narrative, world, charm etc etc really hoist the game up into legendary status regardless. I think anyone would have a hard time denying how impressive some of the finer things in this game are.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Rockstar is kinda falling into a pattern here. They do one really badass game, then one good game. Then it hits me when I refresh my memory on this company and...their clever use of names..
When people say Rockstar it means nothing. Who made GTA V good, but GTA IV not as good? Who made Vice City amazing, but San Andreas just ok? Why is Red Dead Redemption good but this feels like a soul less cash in? (granted I have not played it and will at some point)

Rockstar India 2016–present Works in conjunction with the Rockstar Dedicated Unit at Technicolor India.
Rockstar International 2003–present The international publishing headquarters for Rockstar Games.
Rockstar Leeds 2004–present Created Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. Also ported L.A. Noire to Microsoft Windows.
Rockstar Lincoln 2002–present Dedicated quality assurance and localization house for games published by Rockstar Games.
Rockstar London 2005–present Completed the development on Manhunt 2 and Midnight Club: L.A. Remix. Located in the same offices as Rockstar International.
Rockstar New England 2008–present Responsible for Bully: Scholarship Edition.
Rockstar North 2002–present Responsible for Manhunt and the Grand Theft Auto series.[26]
Rockstar San Diego 2002–present Responsible for the Red Dead, Smuggler's Run and Midnight Club series. Also houses RAGE Technology Group, an in-house game engine team that is responsible for the development and maintenance of the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine.
Rockstar Toronto 1999–present Responsible for The Warriors. Also developed Microsoft Windows ports for Grand Theft Auto IV, The Lost and Damned, The Ballad of Gay Tony, and Grand Theft Auto V.
Former
Rockstar Vancouver 2002–2012 Responsible for Bully. Merged into Rockstar Toronto in July 2012.
Rockstar Vienna 2003–2006 Porting house with a focus on Xbox. Closed down in May 2006, during the development of Manhunt 2, which was transferred to Rockstar London.

Looking at who did Red Dead 2...San Diego? Mhm.

Hey faggots. Get Vancouver to do Bully 2. Mkay?

It's happening again

Pretty sure a horse would not ride into a tree or off a cliff. So much for that "realism".

BUT FUCK LOOK AT THAT SNOW!!!!!

AIIEIEIEEEE!! FUCK MY ASSHOLE ROCKSTAR.

:positive:

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm playing with on foot auto aim off and I haven't noticed any input lag in third person aiming (it's definitely there in first person aiming though). Are you sure you're not mistakenly attributing deadzone problems to input lag?

Solid Snail

Learned
Well, I completed all RDO main missions and I ended uo with 400 dollars totally. And yeah, the whole economy is just shitty. It's true you don't need to spend money in order to progress, since I did everything with the free items you get, but it's also true the point of the game is the customization of your character, and considering how much you need to spend to do basic things, it takes FOREVER to grab something from a store, and if you want something GOOD it takes even more.
Like, I spent 200 dollars just to create a posse, now I have around 200$ left with one gold bar, the only one I managed to do. While it's true Rockstar will add new story missions (simply because the whole story doesn't end in the beta), I presume soon or later you'll need better gear to proceed, to deal a decent amount of damage. Well, I'll play it until I get tired, at least this is fun to play when it works (today it doesn't work, I get the CE 34878-0 error every 10 minutes so I gave up), I understand the only reason Rockstar created the multiplayer is such a way is to do money out of it, and players will get new expansions "for free", but I really wish they change the economy system, it's ridiculous a horse costs 5 gold bars while I barely managed to make 1). It's simply all too pricey, to unlock five horse slots you need to spend almost 2000$, and this excluding the horse you need to buy. I'm curious to see how much Rockstar will charge for in-game money.

sullynathan

Arcane
haven't played either game, what's the point of comparing them?

goty 2017 vs probable goty 2018, but i think it's mainly because they both have a lot of attention to detail. It's a fun video, and the comment section is surprisingly not as cancerous as I imagined
That's because you can't read spanish (neither can I)

haven't played either game, what's the point of comparing them?
RDR2 obviously has a heavy focus on realism, BOTW cuts a lot of corners for smoother gameplay.
They both have a focus on similar details and physics

MapMan

Arcane
In RDR2 physics serve as a pleasant eye candy, in BOTW physics are one of the means for creating emergent gameplay. That's a pretty substantial difference and direct comparisons, while cool (i.e. the video above), don't make much sense when it comes to criticism of any of the two games.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
YatWYaj.png

73uvra1.png

Oh no, it's retarded.

That is NOT A BREECH LOADING RIFLE! And based on the time period of the game, unless I'm mistaken, the first bolt action that wasn't a single shot was the M1885 Remington–Lee. That DID NOT HAVE any sort of popularity within the American West. Wasn't even adopted by the US. If they wanted to be correct, they should have used the fucking Krag Jorgensen/Springfield 92 Model. That was at least US military, and was made in American rounds, rather than the Euro nonsense that was in the rifle they chose, the Carcano, which wasn't even produced in a fucking American round.

Seethe

Arbiter
Game's a huge disappointment. It's too cramped with immersion/survival elements and tons of other small details, and you spend most of the time riding your horse. Sadly, this is what the devs have spent their time on.

Solid Snail

Learned
Game's a huge disappointment. It's too cramped with immersion/survival elements and tons of other small details, and you spend most of the time riding your horse. Sadly, this is what the devs have spent their time on.
Well, to be honest you don't need survival elements at all, they are here and you can face them only if you want. You can just grab some healing items from a store and heal when you need from time to time by using the money the game gives you.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Funny, I have things to complain about in RDR2 (unbalanced economy, lack of agency in missions, too many shootouts etc) but on the whole, this is an amazing fucking experience. My 12 year old me who loved Vinettou and Lucasarts's Outlaws would have his mind blown by this. Well I still kinda have.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, to be honest you don't need survival elements at all, they are here and you can face them only if you want. You can just grab some healing items from a store and heal when you need from time to time by using the money the game gives you.
I would say you actually totally want to get into the survival elements, just for getting the super-satchel. All that challenge shit isn't worth much, but the super-satchel is amazing.

Red Rogue

Learned

I think "huge disappointment" might be a bit of an exaggeration. I suppose it depends on how hyped you were, but I think it's safe to say the game could universally be described as "decent" at the very least.

Solid Snail

Learned
I would say you actually totally want to get into the survival elements, just for getting the super-satchel. All that challenge shit isn't worth much, but the super-satchel is amazing.
When you finish the game you can simply purchase the super satchel from a vendor without needing ingredients to craft it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom