Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Sentinel

Arcane
Just finished it.

It surpassed every expectation I had. Despite the wonky controls, I absolutely loved the game. I thought RDR1 was overrated and John Marston as a character especially, but RDR2 shone a new light on Marston and made Arthur such an amazing protagonist. He's become my fav protag in any game ever. I wish things could've turned out differently.

And damn. Rockstar know how to use music.

Seethe

Arbiter
Game's a huge disappointment. It's too cramped with immersion/survival elements and tons of other small details, and you spend most of the time riding your horse. Sadly, this is what the devs have spent their time on.

I think "huge disappointment" might be a bit of an exaggeration. I suppose it depends on how hyped you were, but I think it's safe to say the game could universally be described as "decent" at the very least.

I was not super hyped at all, I was merely looking forward to it. It simply feels too slow, you hike most of the time, there's too many interactive cutscenes where you need to push buttons for Arthur to do stuff. It tries to be realistic and interactive to the point it becomes ultra tedious. Why the hell do developers do this?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Game's a huge disappointment. It's too cramped with immersion/survival elements and tons of other small details, and you spend most of the time riding your horse. Sadly, this is what the devs have spent their time on.

I think "huge disappointment" might be a bit of an exaggeration. I suppose it depends on how hyped you were, but I think it's safe to say the game could universally be described as "decent" at the very least.

I was not super hyped at all, I was merely looking forward to it. It simply feels too slow, you hike most of the time, there's too many interactive cutscenes where you need to push buttons for Arthur to do stuff. It tries to be realistic and interactive to the point it becomes ultra tedious. Why the hell do developers do this?
Because they (and many people who are not you) like it and enjoy it - and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everything has to be for everyone.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I also think the payoff at the end would be as great, if the game wasn't as slow and methodical as it is. You form a much stronger bond with the main character that way. But yeah, if you don't buy into story driven "cinematic" games, that it's fucking annoying.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I'm on my 7th playthrough (doing epilog 2 now for the first time), 6 of those were only to the end of Chapter 6.

Every time I played, I found new things, heard new things, did new things.

It's truly incredible how much content is in this game if you just go look for it.

Get off your horse (have it follow you of course) and explore the world on foot, get off the beaten path.

If you are just going yellow mission to yellow mission, you are missing 50% (or more!) of the game.

Zep--

imweasel

Only the first and last 5 - 10 hours of the game are actually good. The rest including the sidequests are pretty boring IMO. The survival elements aren't well designed, controls and UI are clunky, itemization is pure garbage, there is way too much horse riding and combat is pretty lame. I also believe that the karma bar is purely cosmetic and does absolutely nothing other than determining a very minor detail after you finish the game.

I also didn't really like the story either. Everything eventually goes to shit, which is fine , but it is mostly because the bandits (mostly Dutch) just make so many obviously stupid decisions. Also, the macguffin from the beginning of the game (gold in Blackwater) eventually becomes completely irrelevant for really no reason. Half of the bandit group died for that fucking gold and then nobody cares about it anymore a few months later. Fucking dumb.

It has great music, the voice acting is excellent, the horse animations are amazing... but yeah, that isn't enough. The game isn't awful, it is just bland and pretty MEH.

Seethe

Arbiter
Only the first and last 5 - 10 hours of the game are actually good. The rest including the sidequests are pretty boring IMO. The survival elements aren't well designed, controls and UI are clunky, itemization is pure garbage, there is way too much horse riding and combat is pretty lame. I also believe that the karma bar is purely cosmetic and does absolutely nothing other than determining a very minor detail after you finish the game.

I also didn't really like the story either. Everything eventually goes to shit, which is fine , but it is mostly because the bandits (mostly Dutch) just make so many obviously stupid decisions. Also, the macguffin from the beginning of the game (gold in Blackwater) eventually becomes completely irrelevant for really no reason. Half of the bandit group died for that fucking gold and then nobody cares about it anymore a few months later. Fucking dumb.

It has great music, the voice acting is excellent, the horse animations are amazing... but yeah, that isn't enough. The game isn't awful, it is just bland and pretty MEH.

There's definitely too much horse riding. Also, it has the worst item wheel I've ever seen. You need to release L1 in less than a second to use an item wtf is up with that? The game has a nice skeleton and is stunning visually, but most stuff was built poorly upon it. The controls are pure garbage, especially if you choose to play 1st person, but that's controllers for you. Still, everything feels slower than it should. I just robbed a shop, can Arthur please pick up the fucking money faster from the cash register? Can Arthur like, stop staring and visually analyzing the fucking revolver I just stole from a box, the law is on your tail, WHY IS EVERYTHING SO FUCKING SLOW?

By the way, the karma bar is not just cosmetic, it significantly lowers the prices at shops if you are honorable, which almost forces you to not be an evil asshole. Retarded.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've had my copy since launch but I'm still busy with another game. But have they fixed the HDR issues and the blur issues on the PS4 Pro yet?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I'm on my 7th playthrough

what the hell

Why are you restarting so damn much?

Well, as I play(ed), I'd find things I was doing was unnecessary busy-work I didn't really need to be doing.

That unnecessary busy-work stops the enjoyment of what I want in the game, mainly exploration and the open-world bigger gun battles.

So at each play-through, I was having more fun and less tedium.

I'll be starting play through 8 soon... :)

I have a save I keep at the start of Chapter 2. That's where I start my replays from.

Zep--

Which one is more prestigious? 2 I think.

aIHIPJV.jpg

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I rocked the 3 in my first game, ZZ Arthur.

I had no trouble getting to beard 10 by the 4th chapter, tho I've read stories of others who couldn't get past 7 or 8 and having to drink tonics and shit.

Now I keep my beard a respectable 2, and hair at 3.

Zep--

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

what the hell

Well, as I play(ed), I'd find things I was doing was unnecessary busy-work I didn't really need to be doing.

That unnecessary busy-work stops the enjoyment of what I want in the game, mainly exploration and the open-world bigger gun battles.

I have a save I keep at the start of Chapter 2. That's where I start my replays from.

Zep--
You truly are a fucking retard Zep, Jesus Christ.

imweasel

I never shaved or cut Arthur's hair either, just for the hell of it. It looked awful by the end of the game. Arthur the hobo. :lol:

Steezus

Savant
Patron

what the hell

Zep--

Just so that we're on the same page...

Playthrough = finished at least chapter 6?

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Arthur with long hair and a long beard can look great, codexers just don't know shit about style.

lip9r7xgttw11.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom