Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Beastro

Arcane
So I decided to give it one last go last night. Put it on, started a mission, set off on my horse to the mission location......on my horse on the way to the mission.......still on my horse on the way to the mission.........5 min later still on my horse on the way to the mission............

Fuck this shit, games are meant to be stimulating & fun, be it either intellectually via tactical interaction, or by getting the adrenals going with some great action. RDR2 is another game in a long line of ones which hype up chores as "fun".

Awful game, truly awful.
What's wrong with being required to travel to the destination target? Travel time has always been a staple in rpgs. Just look at new vegas, or fallout 2.

It aint what's being done, it's how it's being done & how often.

Much like the Witcher 3, the treks to the destinations are absolutely boring as fuck. Unlike TW3 at least sometimes there's some dialogue, but even that just sends me to sleep because all you're doing is tapping X and not interacting with anything.

Compare that to say Vicy City where you can be pulling all kinds of stunts off on route, or an action RPG like Divinity 2 where you discover all types of treasures, side-quests & enemies.

It's poor, poor, dull game design and I'm amazed folk enjoy it. The player may as well not even be there. At times I'd leave my girlfriend playing it to get me to the mission whilst I got a brew or went for a piss it was so dull & pointless.

There's no emergent stuff that pops up as you go along?

If that isn't a common and integral part of travel in a Western game, I'm shocked. You watch enough Westerns and you'll quickly realize a central plot motif is "Protagonist is in transit for a pressing reason, but runs into something he must deal with right now that is the episodes focus".

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
That is a bullshit post. There is fast travel(coach rides and a quick-travel map later in the game) and the fun of riding around is getting the random events and sidequests(there is a ton of them). I rarely used fast travel because of that.

Fast-travel only works to cities and many times you do have to ride most of the way to your destination though. I didn't find it annoying at all. Also, this game has some of the most well made scenery ever and a very competent soundtrack, both which add aa lot to all the roaming around.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yep, some pretty lighting.

L0EfUmO.jpg
fmfSqF6.jpg

ue6WgB0.jpg
FjY5Sai.jpg

sullynathan

Arcane
The Hunting is pretty good in this game. I just recently found the fence and sold all my rings that I had which gave me a good $200. Now, here comes the bad part. I go to a gun shop and buy equipment then right after I leave the inventory/ I want to get back in and talk to the shop owner, instead the game automatically equipped my pistol (because I bought an item which is stupid as hell) and then the shopkeeper immediately aggros and starts shooting so I have to kill him which becomes a crime and the whole city shuts down and I had to mow down waves of cops until I died. I have now accrued a $265 bounty in the southwest and I can't go to any store. What is this shit?

Sentinel

Arcane
The Hunting is pretty good in this game. I just recently found the fence and sold all my rings that I had which gave me a good $200. Now, here comes the bad part. I go to a gun shop and buy equipment then right after I leave the inventory/ I want to get back in and talk to the shop owner, instead the game automatically equipped my pistol (because I bought an item which is stupid as hell) and then the shopkeeper immediately aggros and starts shooting so I have to kill him which becomes a crime and the whole city shuts down and I had to mow down waves of cops until I died. I have now accrued a $265 bounty in the southwest and I can't go to any store. What is this shit?
Are you sure you didn't misclick? I've bought guns before and this never happened. That's pretty funny though

Barbarian

Arcane
If you aimed the gun by mistake when it was equipped, it did happen to me as well(twice actually). You press L2 to talk to the person, but since you have the gun equiped you aim it. Better to either surrender to the sheriff or run away and pay the bounty somewhere else(you can do it at any office in any region).

Bad idea killing the entire town. Now you have to pay the huge bounty and the chances of you being approached by bounty hunters increases. Lawmen will attack you on sight as well. If you had done the above the bounty would have been something like 10 or 15 dollars.

sullynathan

Arcane
I unequipped before entering town but it immediately equipped my weapon after exiting the menu.

Yea, I'm either gonna ignore the south west except for going to the trapper if that's possible. I just spent all my money on holsters

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Is it hinted that she was raped? She never mentions it and her clothes don't seem torn either. Pretty sure Dutch interrupted that party.
Her abilities aren't any more idiotic than other companions. Sadie at least was a regular hunter with her husband, so she knew her way around a gun even before you met her. It's not a stretch to imagine she can shoot a guy if needed. What's Javier's excuse? What's Charle's excuse? What's Kieran's excuse? You just assume things about them to justify their abilities, yet the justification Sadie gives is dismissed. Nice double standard. Especially when to comes to Kieran, who is never seen holding a gun and is a fearful coward before he miraculously saves Arthur's life.
Arthur acts the same way towards her as he does to Micah, the only exception is that Sadie doesn't reply with witty insults towards Arthur, so it's pretty understandable that he isn't antagonistic towards her. Moreover, he knows that she only goes ballistic against the O'Driscolls (which Arthur doesn't mind, considering what they did to him), and once they're dealt with she finds her peace. Another important difference is that Sadie doesn't shoot up an entire legion of lawmen in a town for no fucking reason (much like Micah, who, by the way, also murders two inhabitants in cold blood because of a gun).
During the mission in chapter 6 she says something to the tune of "You know what they did to my husband...! You know what they did to me. . .! I was a wife!". And she is very very angry about the one fat odriscoll. It was implied she was raped.
So I decided to give it one last go last night. Put it on, started a mission, set off on my horse to the mission location......on my horse on the way to the mission.......still on my horse on the way to the mission.........5 min later still on my horse on the way to the mission............

Fuck this shit, games are meant to be stimulating & fun, be it either intellectually via tactical interaction, or by getting the adrenals going with some great action. RDR2 is another game in a long line of ones which hype up chores as "fun".

Awful game, truly awful.
What's wrong with being required to travel to the destination target? Travel time has always been a staple in rpgs. Just look at new vegas, or fallout 2.

It aint what's being done, it's how it's being done & how often.

Much like the Witcher 3, the treks to the destinations are absolutely boring as fuck. Unlike TW3 at least sometimes there's some dialogue, but even that just sends me to sleep because all you're doing is tapping X and not interacting with anything.

Compare that to say Vicy City where you can be pulling all kinds of stunts off on route, or an action RPG like Divinity 2 where you discover all types of treasures, side-quests & enemies.

It's poor, poor, dull game design and I'm amazed folk enjoy it. The player may as well not even be there. At times I'd leave my girlfriend playing it to get me to the mission whilst I got a brew or went for a piss it was so dull & pointless.

There's no emergent stuff that pops up as you go along?

If that isn't a common and integral part of travel in a Western game, I'm shocked. You watch enough Westerns and you'll quickly realize a central plot motif is "Protagonist is in transit for a pressing reason, but runs into something he must deal with right now that is the episodes focus".
There are plenty of random quests which pop up as you travel around. Such as bounty hunters transporting a bounty you can steal to turn in for cash, saving a kidnapped woman, coming upon bandits sacking a train or waylaying a carriage, finding women trapped under dead horses, etc. It's by no means empty, personally I found the world very alive and interesting, it's just that many people have the attention spans of goldfish, and the patience of a ferret, and require instant gratification.

sullynathan

Arcane
Nice little quest. I went back to the north where I previously lived a Mexican gunslinger but it's all snowed in. I met a hunter whose looking for his friend so I accept to look for his friend.

I found him dead atop a hill then go tell the hunter. Disappointingly he gave me nothing, but he goes to his friends dead body and I follow him. He's crying then holy shit, a big ass bear just runs up and mauls him. Obviously I shoot the bear to death.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Nice little quest. I went back to the north where I previously lived a Mexican gunslinger but it's all snowed in. I met a hunter whose looking for his friend so I accept to look for his friend.

I found him dead atop a hill then go tell the hunter. Disappointingly he gave me nothing, but he goes to his friends dead body and I follow him. He's crying then holy shit, a big ass bear just runs up and mauls him. Obviously I shoot the bear to death.
Circle of life. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

Barbarian

Arcane
It is a great game. I skipped the last few GTAs(was always under the impression that it was all some edgy popamole shit), but after all the fun I had with this I might check out GTA V.

Main quest has some great moments and Dutch is quite the character. Some of the sidequests are also really well-written. I specially liked the one with the Thoreau-esque writer living in that cabin, or the civil war veteran. Also the one with the french painter and the chaingang runaways.

Falksi

Arcane
There are plenty of random quests which pop up as you travel around. Such as bounty hunters transporting a bounty you can steal to turn in for cash, saving a kidnapped woman, coming upon bandits sacking a train or waylaying a carriage, finding women trapped under dead horses, etc. It's by no means empty, personally I found the world very alive and interesting, it's just that many people have the attention spans of goldfish, and the patience of a ferret, and require instant gratification.

I played around 10-12 hours and the only "side-quest" I came along was a bloke who's horse had bolted, so I had to pet & ride him back. Dull as fuck.

Massive difference between wanting "instant gratification", and having to play 10 or so hours to see said quest.

Barbarian

Arcane

I played around 10-12 hours and the only "side-quest" I came along was a bloke who's horse had bolted, so I had to pet & ride him back. Dull as fuck.

Massive difference between wanting "instant gratification", and having to play 10 or so hours to see said quest.

Considering the amount of sidequests and random events I encountered, your experience does seem very unusual.

Did you try to avoid roads on purpose because you had bounties on your head or something like that? Travelling exclusively through wilderness would be the only possible explanation for getting a single event in 12 hours, and even then it would be unusual(several random events and sidequests are on isolated wilderness areas). Sidequests are marked on the map as a white interrogation mark, it is useful to configure the display so that the screen map is larger and you don't miss them when they show up.

Falksi

Arcane
Considering the amount of sidequests and random events I encountered, your experience does seem very unusual.

Did you try to avoid roads on purpose because you had bounties on your head or something like that? Travelling exclusively through wilderness would be the only possible explanation for getting a single event in 12 hours, and even then it would be unusual(several random events and sidequests are on isolated wilderness areas). Sidequests are marked on the map as a white interrogation mark, it is useful to configure the display so that the screen map is larger and you don't miss them when they show up.

Not intentionally. I did travel via the quickest route, so yes I guess I'd avoid roads if the quickest route was through woods etc.

I'm old school too. I turn the mini-map off & use the compass setting.

sullynathan

Arcane

Not intentionally. I did travel via the quickest route, so yes I guess I'd avoid roads if the quickest route was through woods etc.

A lot of the random events/quests don't happen on roads.

Falksi

Arcane

A lot of the random events/quests don't happen on roads.

I certainly didn't avoid them purposely. I just couldn't say from memory if I stuck to roads or not.

Either way, the only thing I got were endless, boring journey's with fuck all significant happening, and generally shit combat happening when it did.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Color me skeptical. I could not go down two streets without being accosted by another random event I was forced to patiently listen to then help with.

Falksi

Arcane

Color me skeptical. I could not go down two streets without being accosted by another random event I was forced to patiently listen to then help with.

In towns you can't. In the outdoors I found it a different story. Literally mission after mission of just riding for 5-10 minutes to get somewhere, with fuck all of any interactive worth happening in the meantime.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

In towns you can't. In the outdoors I found it a different story. Literally mission after mission of just riding for 5-10 minutes to get somewhere, with fuck all of any interactive worth happening in the meantime.
My experience has been the exact opposite. Not 20 minutes can go by without something occurring and taking me off my original course.

Falksi

Arcane
There's a total of 69 wilderness random encounter scenarios. Your experience is very unusual.

I guess that's the problem with Open World gaming.

1x18ve.jpg
Or youre lying.

Why?

I didn't buy the game to not enjoy it. Believe me mate, I'd much sooner be posting that I'm having a great time with it rather than I've spunked a load of cash on something which is dull as fuck, and plays like shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom