Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Beastro

Arcane
and the patience of a ferret,

I get ya mean, but ferrets are very patient. It just depends on how contrarian they are. I had one that got into a chair of mine and would deliberately come out just enough for me to try to grab her before hiding again. She could have done that all day, but only because it tickled that provocative ferrety impishness in her.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
some pretty screenshots

oQT6nLN.jpg
ZqnM6KB.jpg
yW19ndT.jpg
HcpxCz1.jpg
NMsL3IY.jpg
Xroy3Ft.jpg
R5KTJTb.jpg
7zG5CIM.jpg
PSy6SWN.jpg
MCxxa10.jpg
B75YnLe.jpg
rJiDdev.jpg
7JgOHuW.jpg
z6EQtlZ.jpg
FsM2C6z.jpg
TvecZ0s.jpg
S9lYdO2.jpg
dYCZuOI.jpg
UuNl72r.jpg
uryghsc.jpg
86K37fz.jpg
KhTiNpA.jpg
sViA1cA.jpg
tocbvTJ.jpg
ksz10lv.jpg
SPzPPmo.jpg
Ncwi5nn.jpg
rU4OUjl.jpg
2cO2gln.jpg
eg69CdQ.jpg
rIukVqV.jpg
yBNebWF.jpg
0L3IRN7.jpg
O4O8Ba9.jpg
VxiJYsY.jpg
nyVYGh4.jpg
zNVM6ju.jpg
Mm7btNP.jpg
u0RmxN7.jpg
JXmdn0I.jpg

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
One interesting thing about this game so far is the robery/breaking and entering mechanic. I have forgotten if RDR1 had something similar. I was hunting animals because I took a backseat to the story a long time ago and stumbled upon a house. Most houses tend to be empty, but this one had four guys sleeping inside. I sneak in and steal a double action revolver, and then throw dynamite inside the house and kill 3 of the 4 guys. The last guy now begs me to not kill him and I threaten him so he tells me he has money hidden under his pillow and I let him go.

I don't know if all this happened because I had a mask on or if these guys we're already against my character but it's one of those things in the game that isn't a scripted quest like the main missions nor is it a quest like you'd expect in other rpgs.

I didn't care about the money because I had $800 now from finding all the treasures so far. I've already fully upgraded my camp, horse, guns and bought a lot of clothes. There was a lot to spend money on, but now I have so much that I doubt there will be much to spend it on later on because guns and ammo tend to be cheap and while horses are expensive, I'm fine with my race horse now.

Beastro

Arcane
Shit like that should be how encounters are done in games, rather than mechanical quests. :(

sullynathan

Arcane
Shit like that should be how encounters are done in games, rather than mechanical quests. :(
It's great too because it's the only time this has happened so it leads me to believe it isn't a scripted encounter. This house doesn't show up on my map, it's one of thur houses you find in the wilderness.

These guys are strangers and don't have a name, but it plays out well.

There are other things like this in the game, usually you'd be able to talk to people first but most of them quickly turn hostile.

It is saddening that the nation missions aren't like this. One mission involves stealth but it's a choice of wait till day and use stealth or rob people in the night. The stealth in the mission is just rudimentary though, Hosea talks to the owners while you sneak in to steal from them. I left their closets opened so they found me but that was too late in the end. I'm not sure if that's supposed to always happen or not.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/78272-real-life-pinkertons-involved-red-dead-redemption-2.html
The real-life Pinkertons are involved in a Red Dead Redemption 2 lawsuit

2019-01-15-image-4.jpg

In brief: If you’ve been enjoying the excellent Red Dead Redemption 2, you’ll know that two of the main antagonists, Andrew Milton and Edgar Ross, are part of the Pinkerton detective agency. But it seems the real-world version of the agency has taken exception to its name appearing in the game, and Rockstar is now locked in a legal battle over the issue.

Court documents obtained by The Blast show that Pinkerton, which is now a subsidiary of Swedish security firm Securitas AB and called Pinkerton Consulting & Investigations, sent a cease-and-desist notice to Rockstar and Take-Two last month.

While the firm acknowledged Rockstar’s “clear affection” for Pinkerton, it claims the use of the name might lead people to believe the agency was involved in the game’s creation, even though no permission was given. Pinkerton Consulting & Investigations is asking for a single lump sum or a share of Red Dead 2’s royalties.

Take-Two has responded to the letter with a lawsuit that claims the use of the Pinkerton name is protected under the First Amendment, and that it’s part of the game’s historical setting.

"Put simply, [Pinkerton] cannot use trademark law to own the past and prevent creators from including historical references to Pinkerton agents in depictions of the American West," Take-Two said.

The game company adds that the Pinkertons have appeared in media for years, including the 1980 movie The Long Riders, TV show Deadwood, and the Elton John song "Ballad of a Well-Known Gun." It’s not even the first time the name has been used in a game; the protagonist in BioShock Infinite, Booker DeWitt, is a former Pinkerton agent.

Take-Two also points out that the original Pinkerton name and badge is used in Red Dead Redemption 2, not the current ones, and that the Pinkertons only appear in 10 of the game's 106 missions.

Back in 1996, Pinkerton tried and failed to sue rock band Weezer over the band’s second album, titled ‘Pinkerton.’

https://www.scribd.com/document/397458834/Take-Two-Interactive-vs-Pinkerton#from_embed

Swigen

Arbiter
WTF!? Another letter from Mary?! It’s over bitch! Are you mental?! Ssshuh! Get the net! Thanks for the ring though, I’ll pawn it and buy my horse something nice.

kalganoat

Savant
What do you guys think about the sudden change of public opinion of this game after nuGOW beat it in GOTY? I'm super salty about it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Public opinion changed?

It's always been MUH MYSOGYMY since launch pretty much.

Especially since that hilarious clip came out where the guy feeds the crocodile a feminist.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Has anyone else been receiving the issue of players intentionally sabotaging the mission when they don't get the moral choice they want? For the 3rd time i've had players intentionally die and force a checkpoint restart because we chose the immoral option and won the coin toss. This is to reduce the payout to a dollar or less.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Has anyone else been receiving the issue of players intentionally sabotaging the mission when they don't get the moral choice they want? For the 3rd time i've had players intentionally die and force a checkpoint restart because we chose the immoral option and won the coin toss. This is to reduce the payout to a dollar or less.

I just know it from GTA Online, being forced to play through a string of missions with 3 millenials, and always someone quitting half way.

The lesson is to never do it with randoms. You must find a group of people who you have talked to before, make an appointment and find reliable friends this way. The people who stick through a plan are the good ones anyway.

What do you guys think about the sudden change of public opinion of this game after nuGOW beat it in GOTY? I'm super salty about it.
What changed? I'm not aware

the game isn't even announced on PC so wtf do we care. Someone probably had a hissy fit because another game won GOTY

sullynathan

Arcane
Nothing changed, RDR2 just won less awards than God of War but both are above 100 GOTY awards. Slow pace game like this is very different from all the popular games released recently and caught many off guard, as it should.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm replaying the game and holy shit, this game has incredible moments. That part where Dutch drowns Bronte and feeds him to an alligator while the gang watches incredulous realizing he's completely lost it is really sad. The music is fucking perfect. This game has some of the greatest and tragic characters in any game. I'm extremely surprised by what Rockstar's writers managed to achieve.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm replaying the game and holy shit, this game has incredible moments. That part where Dutch drowns Bronte and feeds him to an alligator while the gang watches incredulous realizing he's completely lost it is really sad. The music is fucking perfect. This game has some of the greatest and tragic characters in any game. I'm extremely surprised by what Rockstar's writers managed to achieve.
I'm finding the second playthrough very enjoyable. Can explore everything without the fever of finishing the story. Pay attention to details.
Like when Trelawny mentions Dutch murdering a young woman in Blackwater for no apparent reason. It's kinda repeating itself, isn't it? He also murders the old woman showing him the way out of prison.

Loostreaks

Learned
Nothing changed, RDR2 just won less awards than God of War but both are above 100 GOTY awards. Slow pace game like this is very different from all the popular games released recently and caught many off guard, as it should.

Problem isn't in slow pace. It's complete lack of any meaningful impact or depth in all the mechanics/activities, despite how incredibly drawn out they are.
Add to this archaic/extremely restrictive mission design and horrible gameplay, and "Rockstar formulae" is simply no longer good enough. Though it's still a good game if you focus on what it does best ( story/characters/visuals and ambiance), even the "critics" are starting to see past the surface level here.

sullynathan

Arcane

Problem isn't in slow pace. It's complete lack of any meaningful impact or depth in all the mechanics/activities, despite how incredibly drawn out they are.
Add to this archaic/extremely restrictive mission design and horrible gameplay, and "Rockstar formulae" is simply no longer good enough. Though it's still a good game if you focus on what it does best ( story/characters/visuals and ambiance), even the "critics" are starting to see past the surface level here.
The critics still awarded it as the highest rated game this generation and made itthe 2nd most awarded game released last year. There hasn't been a R* game that won the most GOTY awards since RDR in 2010.

In reality, the "backlash" comes from the gamers because most of them would be introduced to the flaws you mentioned and likely never played RDR, given that RDR2 outsold RDR1 lifetime sales in 8 days.

Swigen

Arbiter
Rockstar games (that aren't GTA) have the best third person shooting
They actually don't.
They actually do. No other company has even stepped close to Max Payne 3 for example. From sound FX, ragdoll physics, body gore, gun animations, RDR2/MP3 have the most satisfying 3rd person shooting in the market.

Agreed. It’s super satisfying that Arthur doesn’t cock his guns automatically after every shot. Every third person shooter should make R2 = shoot AND cock. Also it’s awesome how he loads his revolver for 10 fucking minutes to put in 2 rounds. Hopefully The Division 2 takes note so they can have satisfying shooting mechanics as well.

Sentinel

Arcane
It’s super satisfying that Arthur doesn’t cock his guns automatically after every shot
It actually feels amazing, especially on the lever-action carbines. But then again I'm a guy that likes Red Orchestra and Killing Floor, where you have to press the fire button again to eject shells before firing another round, so I fucking love it. The animation of pulling the lever on the carbines is great as well, as is the sound.
Also it’s awesome how he loads his revolver for 10 fucking minutes to put in 2 rounds.
works on my machine bro
try raising your familiarity with the weapon, reduces reload times.

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
It’s super satisfying that Arthur doesn’t cock his guns automatically after every shot
It actually feels amazing, especially on the lever-action carbines. But then again I'm a guy that likes Red Orchestra and Killing Floor, where you have to press the fire button again to eject shells before firing another round, so I fucking love it. The animation of pulling the lever on the carbines is great as well, as is the sound.
Also it’s awesome how he loads his revolver for 10 fucking minutes to put in 2 rounds.
works on my machine bro
try raising your familiarity with the weapon, reduces reload times.

I appreciate the realism and all but I definitely wouldn’t call it satisfying. Every time I step away from the game for a bit then jump into a gunfight I forget about the cocking mechanic and without fail I’ll line up a perfect shot only to hear *click* and I squeeeeze my legs together, crush my balls and go :mad: !!!!

I should support more realistic gun mechanics, it bugs the hell out of me how you don’t lose ammo stripping mags early or in movies when they cock the gun 17 times when startled before ever shooting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom