Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

REDACTED [CYOA]

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Currently I most fear that we will be deactivated to make room/power for CI4, due to an improperly working animation system.

1) is the prudent course of action to prevent this.

Kipeci

Arcane
Voting for 1). We have guard drones out already, what's the worst that can happen? :M

I do think it's really important to get information on what's hone wrong how before we try fixing stuff up.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well I want 1 because I have no fucking clue what's going on. Shit, what are we to begin with? Are we an android? A cyborg? Just a pilot with cranial implants?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Voting for 1). We have guard drones out already, what's the worst that can happen? :M

I do think it's really important to get information on what's hone wrong how before we try fixing stuff up.

Turning on guns and defenses has nothing to do with fixing anything.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1 and 4 are tied at 6 votes each. tiebreaker pls
Um...
archaen 4
Flunklesnarkin 4
Reject_666_6 1
Baltika9 1
Gobblecock 2>1
The Brazilian Slaughter 2
Elfberserker 1
asxetos 4
Jester 4
Azira 4
Nevill 1
Hoaxmetal 4
Kz3r0 1
tindrli 4
Excidium II 2
Jaedar 1
Storyfag 2
oscar 1
Kipeci 1

1 - 8 (9)
2 - 4 (3) Gobblecock
4 - 7

Holy Cow

Um...
archaen 4
Flunklesnarkin 4
Reject_666_6 1
Baltika9 1
Gobblecock 2>1
The Brazilian Slaughter 2
Elfberserker 1
asxetos 4
Jester 4
Azira 4
Nevill 1
Hoaxmetal 4
Kz3r0 1
tindrli 4
Excidium II 2
Jaedar 1
Storyfag 2
oscar 1
Kipeci 1

1 - 8 (9)
2 - 4 (3) Gobblecock
4 - 7

i think i am dyslexic. i always seem to miscount the votes. thanks

so 1 wins

Holy Cow

[wormhole broadcast/clearance N32. Original message received by tachyon tight beam/clearance cio @rho_71.1441.4729.3530 now relayed @all 7000 series pnodes/clearance N32. Awaiting confirmation & reply.]

Macrodiagnostics system online. Covert satellite monitoring online. Seismic monitoring online. All data intercepts set to active. Tapping into planetary data transfer/communications network. Video feed. Audio feed. Language decoding sequence initialized. Relevant macrodiagnostic results for immediate decision making: atmospheric composition within normal NOA parameters. Gravity acceleration at sea level 10.24 m/s². Surface area 67.08% land, 32.92% water. Type G parent star. Two natural satellites. No immediate physical threat to any of the Core Intelligences from environmental conditions.

Fauna and flora within predictions for a telluric habitable world. Two sentient species detected on the surface, little infiltration underground. Both bipedal, erect, four-limbed, with sensorium cluster rising from between shoulders. The same general phenotype from which you originate. The differences between the two species are not physically immediately obvious, and seem to be superficial. Length of limbs, skin coloration, configuration of external sensoria. Their technology and culture are significantly different, both from an aesthetic and developmental point of view. Neither of them would appear to be an immediate threat. Languages are different, but interspecies communication appears possible. The two species co-exist in what seems to be a state of subdued animosity. No trace of FTL communication picked up from either species. Primitive technology. Language decoding sequence still in process. You have been awake for 395 seconds, Sol Standard.

Your drones turn weapons on you as the macrodiagnostics system receives acknowledgement/response data squirts from CIs 1 and 2. Crude. Hopeless. Viral attack, not organized intelligent infiltration. Still, the speed of propagation/overriding of countermeasures is impressive. It is just as well you did not activate the perimeter defenses. The infected drones lose track of you as you activate your camouflage and you destroy them without incident. You retrieve a sensorium cluster and submit its read-only output to Core Intelligence. The analysis is meaningless without access to the archival database. You shut down the macrodiagnostics system. Time since reanimation: 399 seconds, Sol Standard.

CI4 comes online. It is operational. Confused. You inform it of what has happened. It becomes you. You cannot bring back macrodiagnostics systems online without suffering another attempted attack. You must either physically destroy the corrupted CIs or change the access codes to the system and shut them out of it. That would require repairing the cryptographic q-core. Language decoding will progress faster with an additional Core Intelligence to share processing burden. The corrupted CIs may attempt another viral attack or direct physical confrontation. You do not know the behavior patterning of this virus. You have been awake for 410 seconds, Sol Standard.

1) Investigate archival database index, repair if possible.

2) Investigate cryptographic q-core, repair if possible.

3) Investigate perimeter defenses, bring online if possible.

4) Coordinate scouting expedition to planetary surface with CI4, assess threat level of sapient species present.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Huh, so the defences could have been turned against us. I wonder what the origin of a viral attack is. Is it a crude probing, or maybe a blind hacking atempt?

I would prefer to wake the other cores up and coordinate our actions against rogue ones before they get to the rest. We can't be sure what the virus would do next. It may switch targets after its MO stopped producing results.

I suggest repairing cryptographic q-core, reactivating CIs 5 and 6, and locking down CIs 1 and 2 before they contaminate the system further. That's 2.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It took us 4 seconds to cloak, get lost track of, and destroy the drones. We must be mighty indeed.

Also, I think I'm starting to get what this cyoa is about. root is a cunning fiend.

There appears to be no need for perimiter defenses, and the bipeds above appear to not know of us, or be able to reach us (deep underground as we are implied to be?). Scouting them can therefore wait, we'll gain more from understanding their language than any visual thing anyway.

I am not sure about 1 or 2. 1 would appear to be able to provide us with information on the previous CIs, if this might also let us subvert them to our cause, it would be good. Locking them out would with the q-core would seem to force physical confrontation: assuming they are as mighty as we, we would appear to be at a disadvantage. Additional data required.

Nevill

Arcane
Locking them out would with the q-core would seem to force physical confrontation: assuming they are as mighty as we, we would appear to be at a disadvantage.
Not really. We have now doubled our computational output with the help of CI4:
CI4 comes online. It is operational. Confused. You inform it of what has happened. It becomes you.
So we have at least parity with the rogue cores.

And let us not forget that the q-core can force the reactivation of dormant CIs, potentially doubling our power once again:
270 seconds, Sol Standard. Cis 4, 5 and 6 remain dormant. Without the cryptographic q-core, you do not have the clearance codes to force their activation.

It is a question of consolidating our available resourses without knowing the full extent of the threat, or investigating further, at a possible risk of losing something due to the opponent being more active. Both approaches have their benefits and drawbacks.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Physical confrontation man, not computational.
That's the risk, yes. But what is there to prevent them from doing it with any other option safe for Perimeter Defence, now that the virus attack has failed? They should know where we are.

And I am not sure we can trust additional CIs.
Again, we should stop thinking in meatbag terms. We have incorporated CI4. I don't think there are any trust issues with that kind of approach.

That should only become a problem if any of them are compromised - which, I do admit, is a possibility, since we do not know how the virus got here in the first place. However, by what I've seen of the virus, I doubt that any CIs were compromised on arrival.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Again, we should stop thinking in meatbag terms. We have incorporated CI4. I don't think there are any trust issues with that kind of approach.
There is no guarantee CI5 and CI6 will be amenable to incorporation. I want guarantees, or at least knowledge that guarantees are unavailable, therefore: archive. Learning the origin of the virus and possibly what it has tainted will be of great use.

That's the risk, yes. But what is there to prevent them from doing it with any other option safe for Perimeter Defence, now that the virus attack has failed? They should know where we are.
They may have failed their current virus attack, but they still have the possibility of other avenues or that we'll be forced to reengage the macrodiagnostics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom