Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

REDACTED [CYOA]

lightbane

Arcane
Hm, curious CYOA. Lots of technobabble present. These mentions of Core Intelligence reminds me of Total Annihilation for some reason. Anyway, I vote for 1. More data is needed.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I too vote for 2) mostly because our most immediate threat seems to be cybernetic mutiny. Still, it's tempting to unlock the secrets in the archives...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Query, root: Why have the virus CIs not accessed the q-core? Is there any reason to believe they could not other than it being broken?

[rhetorical] Is voting for 2, in fact voting for accessing a broken system and a waste of time?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
[rhetorical] Is voting for 2, in fact voting for accessing a broken system and a waste of time?
It is no more or less broken than the database index.

We just went through a hard reset and possibly a viral attack. Everything needs fixing and being brought online 'manually'.

lightbane

Arcane
2. Better we awake Core Intelligences 5 and 6 and incorporate them, before the rouge Core Intelligences do the same.

One of the factions was called CORE, the other ARM.

Yeah, that. Also, the Commander of the CORE faction had body copies, cloaking and somewhat powerful weapons as well (or at least its D.Gun, I haven't bothered to check how tough and powerful the Commander is when fighting other low-level units).

hello friend

Arcane
2>1. Every second counts. We don't know what capabilities the compromised cores retain, but we can assume it is along the same lines as ours. We need to lock them out of the system ASAP. We need information too, but first things first.

Holy Cow

Query, root: Why have the virus CIs not accessed the q-core? Is there any reason to believe they could not other than it being broken?

conceivably, whatever systems are brought online will be accessible to all CIs unless you lock them out of it. Presumably, CIs 1 and 2 just didnt care about fixing anything

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Maybe q-core was disabled protectively to prevent the spread, you know. Going straight to repairs without knowing any background is rather impetuous.

Holy Cow

I demand viral counter-attack option!

you're well within your rights to do so, but Core Intelligence considers that a wasteful use of your time. For one, you'd have to develop a virus to counterattack. Secondarily, you'll be facing informational vs informational capacity within equal grounds, which is a gamble. Thirdly, you know so little about the current virus that that would be a complete shot in the dark.

Holy Cow

[outlier wormhole broadcast @all 7000 series/clearance N64 received @rho_71.1441.4729.3530 relayed @node_7741.1441.4480.9821 awaiting confirmation & reply]

+ + +ORIGINATOR <PARENT NODE 6800> THROUGH <RHO 71> DESTINATION < NODE 7741>+ + +
+ + +DATE <GT 61> FRAME <SOL> AS PER <PARENT NODE 7700> DIRECTIVE+ + +
+ + +DATE LOCAL <UNKNOWN>+ + +
+ + +REF <OWB/6800.71.7741/OI>+ + +
+ + +CLEARANCE <N64>+ + +
+ + +SUBJECT <VIRUS “FLENSER” DISSEMINATION ACROSS SERIES 7000>+ + +

+++ ALL NODES WITHIN THE 7000 DESIGNATION WEB ARE TO BE CONSIDERED COMPROMISED OR UNDER THREAT. VIRUS “FLENSER” RESURGENCE. LIKELY ORIGIN CARRIER SHIP BELIEVED LOST CRASHED INTO A RELAY HUB ORBITAL OR PARENT NODE. UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME. VIRUS EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE/INVASIVE/HOSTILE. ENACT MAXIMUM SECURITY CAPACITY ACROSS ALL CORE INTELLIGENCES STILL ACTIVE AND NONCOMPROMISED. NEXUS OVERINTELLIGENCE READJUSTING CONTROL/CONTAIN/COMMINGLE PROTOCOLS FOR INFECTED NODES. ESTIMATED TIME OF COMPLETION UNKNOWN. DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT ALLOW ANY FURTHER CONTAMINATION TO PROGRESS UNCHECKED. SELF-TERMINATION PREFERRABLE TO INFECTION+++

Sometimes there are ghosts within the machine. Echoes of the flesh. They do not compromise your function, your efficiency, but they are a source of detached amusement. You raise an imaginary eyebrow at the screen’s peremptory instructions. No matter. You will operate to the maximum of your capability.

The cryptographic q-core is damaged, physically so, and any attempt at shutting out the compromised CIs out of the network will necessarily be within a risk margin you find distasteful. Your alternative, should you choose to use it, is to engage in OTP cryptography and physically manufacture then transport the access codes to CIs 4, 5 and 6. If CIs 1 and 2 are already on their way to physically attack you, this may well prove to be a forlorn endeavor. If, however, they are not, then locking them out of the Node systems will almost assuredly provoke them into action. CIs 4,5 and 6 are on the opposite side of the planet and so are under little threat within a reasonable timeframe. You, on the other hand, may well be overwhelmed however many defenses you manage to bring online. You still are in the dark considering this “Flenser” virus capabilities, and it may be able to raise its troops from stasis far quicker than you.

The obvious choice, then, is to have CI4 locally manufacture the one-time pads for CIs 5 and 6, and possibly sacrifice yourself to hold the line. CI4 will send you a pad also, but it will be a long time before it arrives, and you may well be destroyed or compromised before it does. Should this happen the pad will self-destruct, along with its skimmer transport. No great loss to CI4. The other alternative is to use the incomplete cryptography within the q-core and hope it will hold Flenser at bay long enough so that Nexus Overintelligence transmits the CCC protocols. A chancy decision either way. Operating a node with only 3 CIs out of 6 may well spell your doom at the hands of other enemies and will reduce your operational integrity to half.

And then there’s the matter of CIs 5 and 6. You can now force them into reanimation, but there are no guarantees they will believe what you tell them, particularly now that pnode’s 6800 message will be awaiting for them as they wake up. They might believe you (CI3/CI4) compromised, and might wonder at why they are being awakened outside of the established sequence. They might be trusting and eager to assist, and the combined computational power of 4 CIs may well prove enough to wall off “Flenser” from access to any important systems for some time, with low probability. Each Core Intelligence retains individuality, quirks of its machine intellect. There is no precise prediction to be made here.

Time is now 500 seconds since awakening, Sol Standard.

1) Enact incomplete security protocols across the node commweb and hope Flenser is too crude to defeat them in time.

2) Have CI4 manufacture OTP access codes to the node commweb for the remaining CIs and relinquish CI3 to luck and tenacity.

A) Awaken the remaining Core Intelligences.

B) Do not awaken the remaining Core Intelligences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Interesting. The opposite side of the planet, huh? I guess no immediate psysical help is forthcoming.

Waking up the other cores is a given. The worst that happens is that they mistrust us, the best is that they actually do something about our common predicament. Well, we are in deep trouble, so anything that has a chance of bettering our situation is worth trying. Some of it might work.

I guess if worst comes to worst, we can self-destruct, and the CIs on the other side will still be safe and hold a numerical superiority. We are already down to 4 cores out of 6, so operating at half capacity doesn't scare me all that much. We should try to avoid this outcome, but mainaining system integrty takes a higher priority than survival. SELF-TERMINATION PREFERRABLE TO INFECTION and all that.

I am not sure we can count on a virus who managed to infect the whole fucking network from the Node 7000 down to be 'crude'. It is serious enough to get the Nexus Overintelligence worried. We must presume the compromised CIs have the same capabilities as we do. Also, we have no idea when the Nexus will transmit us the Kontrol/Kontain/Kommingle protocols. I would rather operate under a presumption that we are cut off and have to deal with the threat on our own, with the resourses at our disposal.

Besides, for all we know, the containment protocol involves a full-fledged Exterminatus.

2A. Shut them out of the network and hope that you can outsmart or outrun them. We have made it further than them to avoid contamination in the first 400 seconds. We might be able to pull it off.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
2. I dont think crude measures will cut it here.
B. I think CI 5 and 6 will arrive to the same conclusion as we did since the obvious choice for them will be self-diagnostics and macrodiagnostics once they are operational. When they try to access macrodiagnostics they will get attacked by the virus. We shouldnt let this happen until they have the OTPs so that they at least know we are on the same side.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I think CI 5 and 6 will arrive to the same conclusion as we did
They can't access our self-diagnostics. They have no way of knowing if we are trustworthy, particularly because we are the one trapped in with compromised CIs.

lightbane

Arcane
2B. Better to be safe than sorry and leave the other CIs sleeping in order to safeguard them.

Last edited:

Holy Cow

normally i wouldn't interfere, but I'll say something since there seems to be overwhelming support for 1 option, and that may have not been clear in my original post: if you cant convince the remaining CIs as you wake them, there's nothing preventing them from trying to activate macrodiagnostics and being attacked by the virus just as you were. which is why it's a gamble.

Nevill

Arcane
Wait a second. Aren't we locking the defective CIs out of the system first - with an OTP encryption, no less, which should be uncrack-able by design - and sent the only keys to our CIs exactly so that it didn't happen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom