Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

REDACTED [CYOA]

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Holy Cow, Aug 30, 2015.

1. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    2>1. Every second counts. We don't know what capabilities the compromised cores retain, but we can assume it is along the same lines as ours. We need to lock them out of the system ASAP. We need information too, but first things first.

^ Top  
  2. Reject_666_6 Arcane

Reject_666_6
    I demand viral counter-attack option!

^ Top  
  3. Gobblecock Arcane Zionist Agent

Gobblecock
    Maybe q-core was disabled protectively to prevent the spread, you know. Going straight to repairs without knowing any background is rather impetuous.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ranselknulf Arcane Patron

Ranselknulf
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    1A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
  6. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  7. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Interesting. The opposite side of the planet, huh? I guess no immediate psysical help is forthcoming.

Waking up the other cores is a given. The worst that happens is that they mistrust us, the best is that they actually do something about our common predicament. Well, we are in deep trouble, so anything that has a chance of bettering our situation is worth trying. Some of it might work.

I guess if worst comes to worst, we can self-destruct, and the CIs on the other side will still be safe and hold a numerical superiority. We are already down to 4 cores out of 6, so operating at half capacity doesn't scare me all that much. We should try to avoid this outcome, but mainaining system integrty takes a higher priority than survival. SELF-TERMINATION PREFERRABLE TO INFECTION and all that.

I am not sure we can count on a virus who managed to infect the whole fucking network from the Node 7000 down to be 'crude'. It is serious enough to get the Nexus Overintelligence worried. We must presume the compromised CIs have the same capabilities as we do. Also, we have no idea when the Nexus will transmit us the Kontrol/Kontain/Kommingle protocols. I would rather operate under a presumption that we are cut off and have to deal with the threat on our own, with the resourses at our disposal.

Besides, for all we know, the containment protocol involves a full-fledged Exterminatus.

2A. Shut them out of the network and hope that you can outsmart or outrun them. We have made it further than them to avoid contamination in the first 400 seconds. We might be able to pull it off.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    ^ Top  
  9. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    2B

^ Top  
  10. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    2. I dont think crude measures will cut it here.
    B. I think CI 5 and 6 will arrive to the same conclusion as we did since the obvious choice for them will be self-diagnostics and macrodiagnostics once they are operational. When they try to access macrodiagnostics they will get attacked by the virus. We shouldnt let this happen until they have the OTPs so that they at least know we are on the same side.

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    They can't access our self-diagnostics. They have no way of knowing if we are trustworthy, particularly because we are the one trapped in with compromised CIs.

^ Top  
  12. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    2B. Better to be safe than sorry and leave the other CIs sleeping in order to safeguard them.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Wait a second. Aren't we locking the defective CIs out of the system first - with an OTP encryption, no less, which should be uncrack-able by design - and sent the only keys to our CIs exactly so that it didn't happen?

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes, but I mean - we wake them up, explain the situation via a message, change the system access codes or whatever it is we are doing with the q-core, and send them the pads. From there on no one but us can access the system anymore, and we are on our own, but the pads will eventually reach the other CIs, allowing them to plug in - and there is always CI4 which should be closer to them and which knows everything that we know. It will maintain access to the system - because the whole point of changing the admin password is to lock out everyone else besides the admin out of the account.

How can they get contaminated if we isolate them?

Unless I completely misunderstood what is going on. How does the OTP encryption work in our case and what is it good for?

Edit: also, why do we require a pad from CI4?

^ Top  
  15. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I'm also a bit loss with the technobabble. Is it theoretically possible for the infected CIs to ignore us for the moment and physically go straight for the sleeping Cores in order to manually bruteforce their activation, then culturally enrich infect them to turn these against us?

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Infected CIs seem to be close to us, and CIs 4/5/6 are on the other side of the planet, if I got it right. It should be difficult for the infected to physically reach them. Granted, I do not know what our physical capabilities are.

However, I wonder why waking them up right now could be any more disastrous than letting them wake up on their own 400 and 800 seconds later. Do we expect anything to change in the next 5 minutes?

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, CI3 and CI4 are now one entity, right?

If CI4 can produce a physical key (a pad)... why can't CI3 reproduce it locally?

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Ah. Got it.

Alright, then I have another question. What is the ETA for pad arrival to CI5/6? Can we expect them to be there when they awaken?

Now that I've sort of understood what is happening I am tempted to let the CIs sleep. A chance of contamination is bad, and they will be disoriented upon waking up prematurely. As asxetos pointed out, running self-diagnostics and macrodiagnostics should be an obvious choice for them - they need to know if they weren't compromised (precisely what we have wondered about ourselves)... and the macrodiagnostics tool is currently contaminated:
    Now, would not waking them up exclude a chance of such a misunderstanding?

I'll switch to 2B. At worst we'll lose CI3, but get CI4/5/6 to operate safely. At best, we will also preserve CI3 and cooperate with the others to get us out of this mess.

^ Top  
  19. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    flopped too.

^ Top  
  20. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    2B

^ Top  
  21. Reject_666_6 Arcane

Reject_666_6
    2B because this virus has proven anything but crude so far, it seems designed to overwhelm and cripple us and curbstomp our countermeasures. One must go full crypto-potato to outsmart such reckless hate.

What the tachyons called the Battle of Pnode_77.1441.5240.5315 is over. I expect that the Battle of Rho_71.1441.4729.3530 is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of the CI civilization network. Flenser knows that it will have to compromise us in this frame or lose the war. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the Core Nexus and its Overintelligence lasts for a thousand galactic time units, nodes will still relay, "This was their finest core cycle."

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    2B

^ Top  
  23. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
  24. Random Word Arbiter Patron

Random Word
    MCA Project: Eternity

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)