Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RedLetterMedia reviewing games

thesoup

Arcane
www.redlettermedia.com

Top video, yeah. Pilot episode. I thought it was ok, but nothing special. Sadly, it seems they will be of such short format and not plinkett-y, especially since it's written by Rich Evans and not Mike Stoklasa.
RLM tweeted recently that they had something with ME3 in plan. Now, I don't expect them to be super duper elitist and monocled gamers, but since they're into movies and moviemaking, I have faith they can at least smell a shitty story from a mile away. Combine that with ME3 and we might witness some:incline:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It'll be interesting to see if they can dissect a crappy game as well as they can dissect a crappy movie. From the first review... eh... not so much.

Bahamut

Arcane
it seems they will be of such short format and not plinkett-y,

So to hell with it, plinket SW like ME series review would be godly

Wulfstand

Prophet
Yeah, I didn't think much of it either. However, it did make me start watching Half in the Bag, which I've enjoyed so far.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
^^brofisted because started watching Half in the bag, should fist for not already watching it, however, so took away brofist.

It was alright for what it was. Not everything can hold Plinkett standards (have you people SEEN RLM's other stuff, besides Plinkett reviews and Half in the bag? man do they suck! :)) and I like the lame comedy. I'm still not entirely convinced that it could be a parody on video game review shows (like G4TV or whatever). You have a chick to do the intro and draw nerds in, for example. I haven't watched a lot of G4TV but the episodes I did watch had that. And then there's a guy coming in to tell you about the game and it's never anything special. And then there's the whole sci-fi tv studio set decor.

(if it was not a parody then I apologize. I'm sorry.)

Regardless, I'm on board. I don't watch many internet videos so if I can choose between "That Guy" content (which would be "overly excitable Joe show" for games) and RLM, it's a pretty easy choice. Because I actually LIKE RLM.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Not bad but inderwhelming,nothing special,I hope they get better

attackfighter

Magister
That gamestation 2.0 thing was crap. Mike Stoklasa appeared uninterested in his role and Rich Evans was just so meek and boring. I'm guessing that this was all Rich's doing, as Mike is very critical of "video game shit" in his movie reviews and so he doesn't sound like the type of person who'd bother with this sort of thing. My guess is that Rich is untalented and has very little support for this project of his, so it's doomed to fail.

As for Half in the Bag - when it first came out I didn't like it, but over time they seem to have refined their act and put a little more effort into it. One thing I dislike about it though is how Mike is so careful about not sounding racist. He tiptoes around race related stuff to the point that it's extremely unnecessary. That's why his Red Tails review sucked.

Wulfstand

Prophet
You know what I don't get? I don't understand why web-reviewers such as the above (Klinket&co.) and Spoony need to add a fucking storyline to their review. Why can't they just stick to the goddamn review, and add in a few jokes and references here and there, why must I watch their horrible acting when I'm having a perfectly good time just listening to them ramble about this and that regarding a movie/album/game/whatever. WHAT THE FUCK!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I can't speak for Spoony and co anymore since I don't watch them anymore but Plinkett and Half in the bag doesn't really have stories per se. Plinkett is a monologue with gags and Half in the bag is a conversation with short skits in-between with only a loose plot about repairing Fake Plinkett's VHS. The gags/skits are there to give the audience a pause. They're not intrusive in any way so I don't see the problem. I think they're funny. Think of them as ads, if you will. Picture Mike and Jay holding a snickers bar. Just one giant snickers bar.

Mike is so careful about not sounding racist. He tiptoes around race related stuff to the point that it's extremely unnecessary. That's why his Red Tails review sucked.
His point was that George Lucas used the racism card to hide the fact that the movie sucked. There was simply nothing else to say on the matter.

edit: Red Letter Media on Twitter:
How much sarcasm can be crammed into five minutes? Find out in the pilot episode of Game Station 2.0

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know what I don't get? I don't understand why web-reviewers such as the above (Klinket&co.) and Spoony need to add a fucking storyline to their review. Why can't they just stick to the goddamn review, and add in a few jokes and references here and there, why must I watch their horrible acting when I'm having a perfectly good time just listening to them ramble about this and that regarding a movie/album/game/whatever. WHAT THE FUCK!

Spoony and Plinkett aren't in the same category.

Spoony stuff is aimed squarely at adolescent Biodrones, Tropers and all the other denizens of the fluffy side of the Internet. They like the storylines because of Emotional Engagement.

Steve

Augur

I wouldnt even call them reviews, they show you the entire thing and just point out how bad it is.

thesoup

Arcane

Spoony and Plinkett aren't in the same category.

Spoony stuff is aimed squarely at adolescent Biodrones, Tropers and all the other denizens of the fluffy side of the Internet. They like the storylines because of Emotional Engagement.
Now, now.
I like Spoony when he puts effort into his videos. His reviews are usually good. His Final Fantasy reviews (though I'd call them "edited LP mockery" before "reviews", but oh well) and the Ultima retrospective were great to watch. Yeah, he overdid it with the storylines, but he toned them down a bit recently. Ever since he got dumped by Moby Dick, he has been steadily inclining.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Just watching the guys talk makes Half in the Bag a bit boring. Escape to the movies is better. Gamestation is better because I can see gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom