Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs, tactical JRPG for PC from... Polan?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The way the game pushes the cast onto you in the first few days / weeks doesn't feel very satisfying. Most just randomly show up in your castle while you are away. You return from a quest, give them a little pep talk and that's it.

Grif

Learned
The way the game pushes the cast onto you in the first few days / weeks doesn't feel very satisfying. Most just randomly show up in your castle while you are away. You return from a quest, give them a little pep talk and that's it.

Agreed. Diego and Grenn is by far the worst culprit of this. At least you needed a quest to unlock Signy, and Mort while Levant is telegraphed fairly early on. Maybe it'll change when I level their relations up, but they're also the most uninteresting character for these reasons alone.

Grif

Learned
I finished the game in a marathon towards the end. Had a twist I should have foreseen, but they pulled it off decently, nonetheless.

Cute game, entertained me for a good 30 hours or so, probably more since I still need to clear some dungeons, and unlock some of the rest of the relationship. Probably not much replay value, however.

On the other hand, I noticed scaling on the dungeon mobs, which sorta put a damper on the whole thing level thing. What's the point of having higher numbers if everyone's gonna be as high leveled as you? Bandits wearing daedric armour and wielding glass swords all over again. But that's about the only real complaint I have, aside from the niggling bugs.

8/10, I'd say, overall.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I finished the game in a marathon towards the end. Had a twist I should have foreseen, but they pulled it off decently, nonetheless.

Cute game, entertained me for a good 30 hours or so, probably more since I still need to clear some dungeons, and unlock some of the rest of the relationship. Probably not much replay value, however.

On the other hand, I noticed scaling on the dungeon mobs, which sorta put a damper on the whole thing level thing. What's the point of having higher numbers if everyone's gonna be as high leveled as you? Bandits wearing daedric armour and wielding glass swords all over again. But that's about the only real complaint I have, aside from the niggling bugs.

8/10, I'd say, overall.
I am almost done myself. I definitely agree with the level scaling. Hitting sacks of hitpoints gets old in the end.

I didn't like the companion relationship mini game either, as it usually boiled down to guessing what the game designer had in mind instead of making choices, but overall, the game stays solid until the end.

Agreed. Diego and Grenn is by far the worst culprit of this. At least you needed a quest to unlock Signy, and Mort while Levant is telegraphed fairly early on. Maybe it'll change when I level their relations up, but they're also the most uninteresting character for these reasons alone.
they will remain as uninteresting

the devs are planning to add new companions in the future, apparently

At least, Diego is unequaled when it comes to raw AoE damage. His ultimate ability allows him to plaster quite a large portion of the battlefield.

I find the main protagonist underwhelming, except maybe for battles where you need to last a very long time, and challenges where you are not allowed to miss.

I usually go with one tank (Griffith or Legion, but usually Griff. I would probably have taken Legion if I had maxed his friend meter), Siggy for her awesome single target damage (if you manage to make sure a single target is in range of her ultimate power), Diego for AoE fun, the kindling for her summoning ability, and Henrietta for the ability to give a second action to someone else.

I am not sure about the Kindling and Henrieta (but her range also helps when you have a challenge requiring you to draw first blood).

The dwarf samurai seemed great with his ability to stack actions, but I was underwhelmed by his damage. Maybe with stacked physical penetration + weapon damage?

Which characters do you use in your team?

Last edited:

Grif

Learned
I ended up with Kay/Griffith, Esther, Signy/Aliss/Diego, and Mort most of the time. Signy, Aliss and Diego needs no explaining; they're there because they deal damage.

Kay when I want my team to be empowered 24/7, and with the occasional shield, Griffith otherwise if I want a tank.

Esther is just superb once you unlock her skill morph that lets her deal 250% base damage on one target (2k!). You're basically guaranteed a kill every two turns, and while you're only limited to cardinal directions, you get unlimited range instead. Also comes with a deployable tank that can distract in a pinch, and some other more situational abilities. Handy, all in all.

Mort has superb mobility, and he comes out of the box with skills that let you adapt to any situation accordingly. An attack that silences(!). Huge AOE attack that gives him shield. A Pure attack that ramps up to ridiculous levels with debuffs. The only underwhelming thing is his ultimate, which simply copies a debuff onto every enemy on the field. Very situational, but you can copy things like Stunned or Silenced.

Grenn and Mifune on the other hand, are so one-note that taking them is often a liability. Dwarf has shit movement range, and while being able to stack attacks is cool, his damage is so shit that I ended up using him as a pseudo-tank instead. Grenn is... Grenn. No idea how to use him. Vanish takes one turn. Stabbing people takes another. Damage underwhelming even then. Stun on demand is okay, I suppose, but then you find Vanish has a long cooldown, which kills his usefulness completely anyway.

Will try the other diplomacy characters next, Henrrieta seems to be very strong.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I ended up with Kay/Griffith, Esther, Signy/Aliss/Diego, and Mort most of the time. Signy, Aliss and Diego needs no explaining; they're there because they deal damage.

Kay when I want my team to be empowered 24/7, and with the occasional shield, Griffith otherwise if I want a tank.

Esther is just superb once you unlock her skill morph that lets her deal 250% base damage on one target (2k!). You're basically guaranteed a kill every two turns, and while you're only limited to cardinal directions, you get unlimited range instead. Also comes with a deployable tank that can distract in a pinch, and some other more situational abilities. Handy, all in all.

Mort has superb mobility, and he comes out of the box with skills that let you adapt to any situation accordingly. An attack that silences(!). Huge AOE attack that gives him shield. A Pure attack that ramps up to ridiculous levels with debuffs. The only underwhelming thing is his ultimate, which simply copies a debuff onto every enemy on the field. Very situational, but you can copy things like Stunned or Silenced.

Grenn and Mifune on the other hand, are so one-note that taking them is often a liability. Dwarf has shit movement range, and while being able to stack attacks is cool, his damage is so shit that I ended up using him as a pseudo-tank instead. Grenn is... Grenn. No idea how to use him. Vanish takes one turn. Stabbing people takes another. Damage underwhelming even then. Stun on demand is okay, I suppose, but then you find Vanish has a long cooldown, which kills his usefulness completely anyway.

Will try the other diplomacy characters next, Henrrieta seems to be very strong.
I just finished the game.
I used Henrieta a litte in the end. She is pretty strong indeed, and her ability to give a free action to someone else is great, as it allows you to only stack + Init on her. Her base attack hits harder and harder every round.
I will have to try Esther next time. I doube Henrieta can come close to her damage output (maybe if you only stack her base attack to +250% but it takes 10 turns...).

I took Levant instead of Griffith for tanking as I could get his resists up to 65% (for the elemental ones) or 94% for the physical one.
With help from Kay, he could tank anything forever (I left him + Kay support taking hits from 2/3 rd of the opponents while Diego and Aliss/Signy cleaned the remaining third).
Mifune is weak indeed, and I gave up on him. The perks he unlocks for other are even not so great.
Grenn I did not use, but I have read he is mostly useful for missions where you need to last a given number of turns (as he can stealth everyone to make the end easier).

nimateb

Augur
Just started playing this, fun so far but I hope the difficulty increases a bit as the game goes on

Grif

Learned
Just started playing this, fun so far but I hope the difficulty increases a bit as the game goes on

Not particularly, to be honest. Yes, the enemies do spring more abilities and spawn in different situations, but you also get more tools to deal with it. Now, doing the challenges... that's the real hard mode, especially when doing both at the same time. (They're often contradictory too. Finish the battle in 6 turns AND only use your signature abilities. Things like that.)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
They included a nightmare difficulty mode in the latest update.
I will definitely give it another shot at a later time (I am kind of burned out right now as I went through the game quickly the first time, and I need a throwaway mouse for the stupid fishing minigame...)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
It is true that the game has some unneeded level scaling, which favors some degenerate strategies (basically max gear and companion relation before going on missions), but it remains quite bearable IMO. Trash mobs still went down relatively fast iirc.

Mark Richard

Arcane
tl,dr: the guy is trash at this game, couldn't deal, changed it to easy mode
The writer's complaints are more about the amount of filler combat, going on to praise lower difficulties for allowing them to fast-forward through it. Can't say I agree with the correlation, because it assumes we should just accept having to slog through bad combat scenarios to get to the good ones. In this context lowering the difficulty is a roundabout way of lessening the affects of a problem that doesn't need to exist, like taking a painkiller before headbutting a wall.

Hyperion

Arcane
He defined 'good ones' as those whose backstory compelled him to play, though. It's not like he reached a good encounter, then turned the difficulty back up to where it he felt it should have been. His gripe with Regalia is actually that he didn't like the combat so much as he did the rest of the game, and didn't want to be bothered with it.

As someone who hasn't played it yet, that doesn't instill much confidence in me to go ahead and buy it, if "talking to my companions" is more fun than fighting.

Stompa

Arcane
It is true that the game has some unneeded level scaling, which favors some degenerate strategies (basically max gear and companion relation before going on missions), but it remains quite bearable IMO. Trash mobs still went down relatively fast iirc.

I don't agree about companion bonds. You don't necessarily need to max them all out, a great deal of characters work well with no or only half of the bond (Diego, Esther, Theo, Signy and Griffith). Inciidentally, those same characters don't offer much in terms of perks everyone can use, except for Esther. Same goes for townspeople, some are absolutely crucial (blacksmith, innkeeper), some are meh (alchemist)

The writer's complaints are more about the amount of filler combat, going on to praise lower difficulties for allowing them to fast-forward through it. Can't say I agree with the correlation, because it assumes we should just accept having to slog through bad combat scenarios to get to the good ones. In this context lowering the difficulty is a roundabout way of lessening the affects of a problem that doesn't need to exist, like taking a painkiller before headbutting a wall.

But that's the thing, combat is the real meat of this game, and nothing about it is filler. It's hard to pick out two encounters that look really similar due to numerous combinations of obstacles, enemies and challenges. And skipping all that makes no sense.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I don't agree about companion bonds. You don't necessarily need to max them all out, a great deal of characters work well with no or only half of the bond (Diego, Esther, Theo, Signy and Griffith). Inciidentally, those same characters don't offer much in terms of perks everyone can use, except for Esther. Same goes for townspeople, some are absolutely crucial (blacksmith, innkeeper), some are meh (alchemist)

Indeed, not all are worth maxing, but my point was to priorize the ones you want to getting XP, as the later will make opponent scale, while the former won't

But that's the thing, combat is the real meat of this game, and nothing about it is filler. It's hard to pick out two encounters that look really similar due to numerous combinations of obstacles, enemies and challenges. And skipping all that makes no sense.

I cannot agree more. The combat is hardly filler, especially if you try to get the bonus objectives. Skipping the combat to get the "story" in such a game makes no sense at all. The "silliness" of the game is bearable, but skipping the combat just to get the silly punchline is backwards.

btw, how is it less a strategy game than Halcyon6: Starbase commander?

Doktor Best

Arcane

Modron

Arcane
Gee what a fucking surprise...

There has never not been a problem with any implentation of levelscaling whatsoever. When will developers learn that this it is devils bidding and they must stay pure from this evil?

Baldur's Gate 2, did level scaling decently eg encounter scaling. Granted it had D&D's diverse bestiary full of already scaled monsters to draw upon.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So this games seems to get no attention on the switch at all, which is strange regarding the fact that Nintendo players normally tend to like those kind of games and there is not that much to choose from on the platform.

Are there any major problems with the games? The user rating is at 4.8 wtf. Is it all butthurt because of difficulty?

How severe is the patched levelscaling on the higher difficulties?

Bara

Arcane
I wouldn't say there is any real problems with the game and I've enjoyed the difficulty pre and post patching. No idea why the Nintendo rating is so low perhaps its a bad switch port?

For PC the only problem I've ever had with the game so far was getting the new additions from the royal edition to activate. A full re-install did the trick and thankfully the saves still worked.

It's gotten me through a few dry spells between rpgs and was definitely worth the 25 I paid on launch.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Very nice game. Being part of prestigious nation of white niggers I bought boxed copy for 7 eurobucks, came with large map, artbook and some prosperian papercraft figures. Oh and of course DVD and steam key(I don't even have DVD drive in my PC lol). It's offers nice, challenging combat encounters and allows you to skip all the cutscenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom