Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Remnant series" or something like that

laclongquan

Arcane
Can you...

sprint ahead and spawn new area in order to fix theirs level at low level. Say A, B, C, D

Then return to A, level up, and fight B, C, D at the old level.

It's kinda like IWD2 where people would sneak through different maps to fix the difficulty at low level, then return to sweep the earlier level, level up and outlevel the rest of the maps.

Oracsbox

Can you...

sprint ahead and spawn new area in order to fix theirs level at low level. Say A, B, C, D

Then return to A, level up, and fight B, C, D at the old level.

It's kinda like IWD2 where people would sneak through different maps to fix the difficulty at low level, then return to sweep the earlier level, level up and outlevel the rest of the maps.

You can't really sprint or sneak ahead in this game,there's too many enemies,choke points and story triggers...also as I understand the levelling is per zone,each one is fairly massive so no.
You can of course go back to the zone later and the level is fixed for farming.
I've not felt the need and as long as I'm near the level about me the game is a solid challenge.
I just don't think it's worth overlevelling to stomp.(you wouldn't learn the game properly)max level is only 20 anyway and without the Mods and Traits you find progressing through higher zones it would become more difficult not less.

When they add the new free roam world campaign thing in the very near future ,who knows ? Perhaps that will have more room for fast overlevelling,although I doubt it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just played this game for an hour and it is not made for a singleplayer at all,the difficulty really feels cheap and obvious that it is made with the idea of companions resurrecting you when you fall. I just got to the first boss without loosing health to all the mindless spawns of enemy,then i got my ass handed by him being a cheap bastard. He more or less one shotted me,the worst part is how his attack was clipping trough walls and such,and he was a melee boss. I could have handle it if it was for the a suicide bombers that just cosntantly spawn behind you from nothing. Fuck once of the tries i was even in closed room waiting for the dipshit to come and got blown by a just spawned bomber. The gameplay is nothing special and the generic enemies are meh,they all have a fucking cheap way to kill them most of the time,that compensates for their cheap attacks. The level design is pretty garbage,it feels like a unity asset flip,also the game looks pretty meh but run like its the best looking shit ever. Also the save system is retarded,it is typical console checkpoints type of garbage.

Anyway it could be an ok time waster if you have mates to play with,the back story seems interesting also,but it is not a game for singleplayer.

Looks fun, but it's another one of those games that just makes me wish Capcom would do something like this with their Resident Evil 6 combat system since that game seems to have been an influence. But here the melee side of things dont look half as fleshed out as RE6, and generally it just kind of looks stiffer.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I just played this game for an hour and it is not made for a singleplayer at all,the difficulty really feels cheap and obvious that it is made with the idea of companions resurrecting you when you fall. I just got to the first boss without loosing health to all the mindless spawns of enemy,then i got my ass handed by him being a cheap bastard. He more or less one shotted me,the worst part is how his attack was clipping trough walls and such,and he was a melee boss. I could have handle it if it was for the a suicide bombers that just cosntantly spawn behind you from nothing. Fuck once of the tries i was even in closed room waiting for the dipshit to come and got blown by a just spawned bomber. The gameplay is nothing special and the generic enemies are meh,they all have a fucking cheap way to kill them most of the time,that compensates for their cheap attacks. The level design is pretty garbage,it feels like a unity asset flip,also the game looks pretty meh but run like its the best looking shit ever. Also the save system is retarded,it is typical console checkpoints type of garbage.

Anyway it could be an ok time waster if you have mates to play with,the back story seems interesting also,but it is not a game for singleplayer.

Exactly my experience as well. Game wants to be Dark Souls With GUNZ but isn't designed to BE Dark Souls, namely by having good solid hitboxes, areas designed to fight bosses, viable AI or proper dodging.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Exactly my experience as well. Game wants to be Dark Souls With GUNZ but isn't designed to BE Dark Souls, namely by having good solid hitboxes, areas designed to fight bosses, viable AI or proper dodging.
The mechanics are decent,i didn't have problems with the shooting,as i said i even didn't loose health till the boss,the enemies were easy even if some were cheap. The boss fights tho are made for multiple people,there is constant enemy spawn with them and that make the whole experience shit. Everything in this game is focused around co-op,it is not a single player game. The level design is shit because of the procedural generation. Fuck i have no idea why people are still peddling that garbage as a feature,there is not a single game that is good and have procedural generation.

Last edited:

Oracsbox

Finished it ,enjoyed it immensely ,started a rerun.
Had no issues playing single player once I adopted a more careful approach
I liked the world differences .I played two different characters,significant differences in bosses and maps.
good rewards for boss kills and finding secrets.
I like how the traits and ring system expanded things ,definitely room for varied builds ,mods become very powerful with a quicker regen and when used at the right time.
I feel a lot of effort has gone into the game.
I do understand how it isn't for everyone though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's a bit repetitive how each boss fight is only challenging because they throw so many mooks at you as well, but the game isn't too bad. The itemization is kind of fun. The only thing that truly sucks is that in coop a player can only talk to an NPC one at a time, so you have to take turns buying and upgrading stuff. That's really dumb and makes town visits slower than necessary.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a bit repetitive how each boss fight is only challenging because they throw so many mooks at you as well, but the game isn't too bad. The itemization is kind of fun. The only thing that truly sucks is that in coop a player can only talk to an NPC one at a time, so you have to take turns buying and upgrading stuff. That's really dumb and makes town visits slower than necessary.

They removed that shit pretty fast.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished the game. It was bretty gud. It's definitely easier to play solo than coop due to how borked the online scaling is in the game. Started a new game on Hard and will be interested to see what new traits and loot I will unlock this time.

ColCol

Arcane
Game is one of the few action rpgs that comes closest to getting loot right.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just played this game for an hour and it is not made for a singleplayer at all,the difficulty really feels cheap

Finished the game. It was bretty gud. It's definitely easier to play solo than coop due to how borked the online scaling is in the game.

Well, something doesn't add up here...
What doesn't add up? Different people,different tastes. Also coop will be shit if you have retarded companion,still you don't get the option to res and nobody is watching your back while fighting a boss.

PrettyDeadman

I just played this game for an hour and it is not made for a singleplayer at all,the difficulty really feels cheap

Finished the game. It was bretty gud. It's definitely easier to play solo than coop due to how borked the online scaling is in the game.

Well, something doesn't add up here...
People who are not competent to earn money to legally purchase games are often not competent to play the games they pirate. That's why you see so many inane complaints by pirates.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
This is actually a pretty decent game. Well done difficulty, pretty okay itemization (ain't no fucking Divinity Original Sin I'll tell you that much) and good randomization mechanics (similar to the original Diablo : the quests are randomized). The trait system is an interesting idea : you get abilities depending on your exploration and actions, which you can then increase with level up points. This is something that could be exploited further in new games ; instead of having a character sheet spread out to you, planning your "build", perhaps around a class which possess certain traits, you'd have to make do with the limited possibilities the game gives you. I'm not sure if Remnant exploits this as much as it could (haven't played the game enough), but I feel like this has an interesting potential.

As others wrote, this isn't really a looter shooter - all the critical equipment in the game, like weapons and armors and so on, are handcrafted. Consumables and resources are distributed randomly (or can be purchased at vendors) but everything else is either found in preset locations in the world, received as quest rewards, purchased, or crafted from boss parts (which, to my knowledge, are not designed to be repeated ad infinitum to luck out on a loot table - instead each boss drops a resource that you can then choose to combine with a bunch of moneys to turn into a special item.) As far as I know (being only 8 hours into the game), the replayability comes from the fact that major sections of the levels and even some bosses are randomly rolled for every playthrough.

This game doesn't play anything like a looter shooter either if my experience with Warframe, Borderlands, and Shit Warrior 2: Every Shoota is Better with Loota btw is anything to go by. Instead of every enemy being piss-easy to kill and your only real sense of progression coming from how quickly and efficiently you can clear levels to get them incremental rewards, here the pace is much more slow and dare I say somewhat tactical. I'm playing solo on the Hard difficulty and thus far I found that the overworld levels provide dynamic firefights with roaming enemies which, while for the most part very manageable, are very capable of catching you off guard and sending you to the nearest checkpoint - a couple of hits from a strong enemy or a few seconds of sustained fire is all that it takes for my lightly-armored hunter to bite the dust. On the other hand, the dungeons and setpiece fights is when shit gets really engaging. My view of the game grew from "ech, its a decent way to break up my twelve-hour edging marathon while listening to erotic ASMR and VODs of twitch streamers debating politics" to "NOT BAD obama face dot gif" when a miniboss fucking ambushed me in the middle of a dungeon run, teleporting around the place and harassing me with fire as well as summoning a pack of shitter mobs to tarpit me as well as a discount Pyramid Head - looking motherfucker who shambled towards me from the direction I would naturally flee to. I found myself rewarded for having stocked up with consumables as I desperately scrambled to inject myself with adrenaline to gain speed and distance away from the enemy horde, used bandages to prevent myself from bleeding out from a single stroke of the bad boy's blade, and mashed the hotkey to the ammo replenishment item when I was caught out with no ammo in my primary weapon as the aforementioned wall of rape shambled towards me (every consumable plays a small animation so you actually need time and space to use them - small thing but adds additional considerations to every combat encounter). Since that early encounter I have ran into several others, both scripted and dynamically generated ones, that demanded a similar or greater level of resource management and tactics. For a defensive scenario later in the game I had to adjust my loadout and completely change up my approach after multiple failed attempts - instead of making the stand near the objectively and inevitably getting overwhelmed I slotted one of my guns with a weapon mod I crafted from a boss that shot an aggro-drawing spore companion buddy friend and learned to dance frantically around the arena to draw enemies away from the objective while also preventing myself from getting cornered. Good, sphincter-tightening fun.

These things aren't unheard of in ARPGs, of course, but that is my point - this isn't an incremental loota shoota but something much more similar to a 3rd person ARPG.

Peripheral stuff: Gunplay feels good to be, weapons sound punchy and barring bosses most enemies go down in a few hits (as I mentioned before, so does the PC.) Can't speak for build variety yet but I am certainly utilizing aspects of my build heavily - as a hunter I try to stay out of enemy aggro range, take them out one by one and from afar, use my special ability for increased critical hit damage and combat awareness - just going by the equipment and abilities the other characters get it seems like you would have a noticeably different experience with them. Story didn't particularly grab me but so far I found a few interesting bits of dank lore and narrative turns, but even if you don't share my charitable view it is easy enough to just skip through, Was very pleasantly surprised by the variety of hidden secrets in the handcrafted portions of levels, which usually require some sort of item interaction to unlock a hidden trait or item or dialogue.

This game didn't blow my mind but it was certainly more than I expected and IMO a step above the usual white noise I require to fill every second of my day with.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hey, this is pretty nice! Certainly better than much worse games that get way more traffic on the Codex... .

The only thing that bothers me - about two hours in - is that you can't remap buttons (can you?). Why switch around the controls, if you're making a Souls-Clone? I keep jumping back from things I want to interact with and start sneaking when I want to roll away.

Perkel

Arcane
It is free today on EPIC it should unlock in few hours.

I already played it and it was very decent even with all DLC it simply lacks more gear. IT takes ages to get any new gear that changes how you play but it is decent romp especially if you have someone to play with since game support i think up to 4 people playing together.

Hope they will go at it in sequel. Could be good game if they add some proper amount of content to it.

Playing with more people seems to change the game dramatically though. I personally prefer the more measured, slightly tactical flow of solo gameplay. Gear progression is somewhat lean but is a consequence of new gear being deterministically acquired through boss kills, which is to me infinitely preferable to the grind-based formula of most hack and slash ARPGs.

My first impressions more or less stand. I doubt this game will blow your mind but it is one of my favorite white noise games (ie listen to a podcast or erotic ASMR in the background) and the amount of challenge, C&C, and storyfaggery it can hit you with is likely to surprise you (for a 3rd person shooter). I think its a really cool ARPG distillation into a TPS form, with influences from both hack and slash (in terms of level randomization) and demondarkbloodsouls (in terms of gameplay structure) wings of the genre. Punchy gunplay and fixed loot drops hitting ass and leg oh god its heavon etc

The final DLC is going to drop in a week and that introduces two new areas, a bunch more bosses, and morestorylore so hopefully that will make the game a more appealing proposition to most.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom