Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remnants of the Precursors - Merry Christmas, bitches

flyingjohn

Arcane
There's not much to discuss. Next update isn't for a while:

What’s coming in Alpha 5

Turn-based Ship Combat – players will be able to tactically control their ships in turn-based combat

Already better then the million dollar budget new moo.

Endemic

Arcane
You've reminded me, I got that one for free during the holiday GOG sale. Should get around to playing it :p

Norfleet

Doesn't this name seem very confusing, like it conflicts with that other Precursors game from the Star Control guys?

Destroid

Arcane
Doesn't this name seem very confusing, like it conflicts with that other Precursors game from the Star Control guys?

Pretty sure this was announced before the Star Control game, which may never come out due to legal hell anyway.

TigerKnee

Arcane
It used to be called JavaMOO but when the MOO1 "remake" came out, the company had some issues with that, but after some talks apparently that was the only thing they had issue with and they didn't even care about other parts of the IP like the race names so I guess it was just something he came up on the spot just to resolve the legal issue.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
He's been working on it for many many years, so I don't think he's just gonna forget about it on a whim, but he has a day job and stuff so he can't always keep to a consistent schedule.

Waterd

Augur
Amazing interview. But the biggest thing missing in the alpha is a challenge, it doesn't have anyway to make the ai any actual threat.

Endemic

Arcane
Amazing interview. But the biggest thing missing in the alpha is a challenge, it doesn't have anyway to make the ai any actual threat.

Last I heard he was waiting on artwork before implementing the tactical combat and AI changes.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've been meaning to playtest it again for a couple years now and never got around to it so it's a relief to me that it hasn't made too much progress since then. Maybe my need for original MOO is on about a 3-year cycle.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Hey guys, it's been a long time. Lots of life changes... significant family medical emergency in my family a while back, one in the artist's family more recently. Honestly, just the typical risks in any indie game development where progress is contingent upon the availability of very few people.

However, the tallest pole in the tent has always been the artwork and I have continued to fund that part of the project to keep the project moving along. Because of the time involved in doing the last two races (Humans and Klackons) and the 240 ship animations for all 10 races, I made the decision to go radio silent on the project rather than create some sort of drip drip tease about the game when I knew the next alpha would take a long time to get here.

But it's a good time now to let everyone know that the next alpha, Alpha 5, should almost certainly be ready by the end of the year.

Here's my handy-dandy cut and paste of what's added for this alpha and what remains to be done for the final release:

Added in Alpha 5:
-- Human and Klackon races added (all 10 races now in game)
-- Player-controlled tactical ship combat now added
-- Modernized ship artwork for all 10 races
-- Modernized Ship Design UI
-- 14 of 16 original random events added

What's remaining for the beta and 1.0 release:
-- Orion homeworld & guardian ship (artwork completed)
-- 3 diplomatic options
-- 2 random events for Space Amoeba and Crystalline Entity (artwork completed)
-- Game Over animations
-- language translations (post-beta)
-- updated artwork for sabotage missions and technology discoveries (several months of work)
-- modernized UIs for map UI, races UI, sabotage UI and galactic council UI

As you can see, the game is literally 99% functionally done at this point. All that's left is a handful of minor features and then cosmetic stuff like artwork and revamping the last few UIs.

Once all of the artwork is done and there is no placeholder artwork in the game, I'll start an official beta and open-source the code for anyone who wants to see what a crappy games programmer I am. It's also the point where I will hopefully be able to crowdsource AI improvements.

Please note: don't get perturbed if you see this exact post pasted on another game forum. I just don't want to type all of this out again! Obviously I will personally respond to any questions and comments here.

Example intro screen for the Klackons:

uc10sa3263341.jpg

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
Plz give us some way to play with some challenge in new beta, even if it means giving ai 1000x bonus production.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
So what's the issue? Are you out-expanding the AI? Is the AI too passive? Is it not defending its systems well? Is it sending inadequate fleets when it attacks?

What do you see it doing wrong?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom