Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remnants of the Precursors - Merry Christmas, bitches

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
is there a way to play full screen? alt + tab dont work

No, it plays in a window with a fixed aspect ratio. This allows me to add a lot of cool artwork to the game because I can count on having a fixed ratio. If I allowed fullscreen, then I would have to design a UI like every other space 4X (GalCiv, MOO, Stellaris, Endless Space, etc) where the UI is just the zoomable map and all of the other information you see is either pop up dialogs, or switching to full screen but with no backgrounds (MOO does this, for example, with the research updates).

I did not want to go down that same path.

Hiding desktop, taskbar, window frames and titles and all that stuff (notifications!) is big part of why I like playing in fullscreen.

Of course people will certainly complain about letterboxing too, especially if you go for something else than 16:9.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Hiding desktop, taskbar, window frames and titles and all that stuff (notifications!) is big part of why I like playing in fullscreen.

Of course people will certainly complain about letterboxing too, especially if you go for something else than 16:9.

Right, that's exactly what I was thinking, too. If I do letterbox, people will get pissy about that. But that's still a better full-screen option than none at all.

Lagi

Savant
I was playing with resolution and suddenly when I switch back to 1366 x768 I manage to receive this with hidden windows taskbar.

print screens:
down.php

down.php

down.php

down.php

down.php
down.php

I think the visuals are fine (besides cyan background at galaxy map)

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
I just lose my first game. Was quite sure I gonna win than suddenly I was overthrown by rebels [ there was even nice screen ]. Few of my planet revolt, but i dont care since I have half of galaxy [or maybe there were more unhappy systems?]. Cool, I wonder is it my enemies hidden activities, too high taxes or my Eco in planets was too low?
:dealwithit:

When I select race there is strange activity when I press arrow. Up or Down select top Alkari nation. Sugg: up/down select nation/ right rnd leader name / left rnd homeworld name.

Freshly discovered (but not colonized) planet has beautiful picture. Shame it disappear when you colonized system.

Selecting among ships in the same system, is obscure with this little arrows mouse clicking.

Constant switch between Map panel and Main Game view make me wonder if its possible to merge info into the main screen?

I would be grateful for some pdf to explain all the basics with Eco, Industrial, Base sliders, population, BC and in general how it works. F.ex. Eco set to waste in next turn switch into clean. Is it by design that I cannot exploit planet (that i probably soon lose)?

Rebels have same equipment as imperial forces. So ground combat is only about who have bigger numbers.

Fleet movement, colonies managements and transports (military and civilian) are very nice. however, if I plan to fight on many fronts. I can only select all my same-type ships or none. I can deal with it by creating separate ships for each direction of attack. Would be good, to filter visible unit types and then box-selecting many ships from wanted area.

Would be good, to be able send transports from Colonies menu.

Spy seems to have a great impact on game - which is very refreshing.

I was invading unexplored system and I was unable to send my ground forces. Strange because my fleet just eradicate planet possessor spaceships. [but maybe its lack of my knowledge how the game works].

Fleet Icon - would be great if they possess more information. F.ex. the icon has propulsion fire, could be handy if orbiting fleet (not in movement) has icon without this fire.

I'm happy to waste my day-off with Remnants of the Precursors.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
I was playing with resolution and suddenly when I switch back to 1366 x768 I manage to receive this with hidden windows taskbar.

I think the visuals are fine (besides cyan background at galaxy map)

I suspect that is a glitch caused by you switching windows resolutions while the game is playing. It checks the screen resolution when it starts so that it can upsize or downsize to your monitor. There's no code in there to handle changing monitor resolutions after you've started the game. Pretty sure I put the teal background in there once to make it easy to spot any unpainted areas on the screen

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
These are all appreciated comments. I'll try to address them indvidually.
I just lose my first game. Was quite sure I gonna win than suddenly I was overthrown by rebels [ there was even nice screen ]. Few of my planet revolt, but i dont care since I have half of galaxy [or maybe there were more unhappy systems?]. Cool, I wonder is it my enemies hidden activities, too high taxes or my Eco in planets was too low?

There are no happiness effects caused by taxes that you have to worry about.

The incite rebellion code works like in the original MOO1, but I think the AI in Remnants uses it more aggressively. The surest way to stop someone from inciting rebellion is to declare war on them (they move onto blowing up your bases & factories). In 3.08, I've added notifications for when you catch a race inciting rebellion so that you can at least do something about it.

But honestly I think it is too strong and I will have to tone it down somewhat.

When I select race there is strange activity when I press arrow. Up or Down select top Alkari nation. Sugg: up/down select nation/ right rnd leader name / left rnd homeworld name.

Yes, that is weird behavior (unintended) and your suggestion is a good one. However, the Setup UI is the "old" version and will be completely redone once the graphic designer gets to it. As a result, I will defer work on this UI until then unless it is game-breaking.

Freshly discovered (but not colonized) planet has beautiful picture. Shame it disappear when you colonized system.

I agree. The plan is to eventually display this screen when you click on the system on the main map, instead of the big orbiting view.

Selecting among ships in the same system, is obscure with this little arrows mouse clicking.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. Can you elaborate?

Constant switch between Map panel and Main Game view make me wonder if its possible to merge info into the main screen?

The Map panel is also on the list to get reworked completely to do a lot more than it does now. Right now, it works like in the original game. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this UI will get a complete rework by the graphic designer. Unfortunately, the priority for her right now is the Ship Design, Research, Galactic Council and Sabotage UIs.

I would be grateful for some pdf to explain all the basics with Eco, Industrial, Base sliders, population, BC and in general how it works. F.ex. Eco set to waste in next turn switch into clean. Is it by design that I cannot exploit planet (that i probably soon lose)?

There are plans to create a manual at some point, but finding a Master of Orion manual would work just as well. Also, Sirian has a great MOO1 tutorial here which will apply well: http://sirian.warpcore.org/moo1/tutorial/tut-1.html

Rebels have same equipment as imperial forces. So ground combat is only about who have bigger numbers.

Yes, rebellions suck. You can also minimize them by turning up your internal security. Go to Races tab, click your Race picture, and then Intelligence tab. You'll see an Internal Security slider you can adjust.

Fleet movement, colonies managements and transports (military and civilian) are very nice. however, if I plan to fight on many fronts. I can only select all my same-type ships or none. I can deal with it by creating separate ships for each direction of attack. Would be good, to filter visible unit types and then box-selecting many ships from wanted area.

You could also select by the filter and then deselect (or additionally select fleets on the map) to fine tune what you want to send. I have hopes for getting a range-select of fleets on the map at some point.

Would be good, to be able send transports from Colonies menu.

Interesting. Unsure how that would work when you need to select your destination.

Spy seems to have a great impact on game - which is very refreshing.

Works like MOO1

I was invading unexplored system and I was unable to send my ground forces. Strange because my fleet just eradicate planet possessor spaceships. [but maybe its lack of my knowledge how the game works].

You cannot send transports to an unscouted system, or system that has an environment that you cannot colonize (i.e. your troops would die)

Fleet Icon - would be great if they possess more information. F.ex. the icon has propulsion fire, could be handy if orbiting fleet (not in movement) has icon without this fire.

Yes, the fleet icons are all getting overhauled in the next Alpha when we add ship combat.

I'm happy to waste my day-off with Remnants of the Precursors.

Thank you! Please keep in mind that the game is still very unfinished. Ship Combat, 3 more races, some diplomacy, random events and a lot of UI revamping still needs to be done.

Lagi

Savant
Lagi said:

clicking this little arrow to divide fleet drive me nuts:
down.php

fleet icon:
down.php

top icon:
cross above = among fleet cluster there is some capable of surface landing [colony ship].
bar under = some ships in fleets has extended fuel reserves

bottom icon has no propulsion fire = its orbiting system, and await for orders.

SIlicoid abilit to land on every planet, impoverish the gameplay. You dont care anymore about planet you discover. In fact I colonies every system I'm able to reach. It should be limited somehow, maybe only mineral rich planet being able to colonise by Silicoid (without some tech)?

Sending transport from Colony panels:
down.php

down.php

post more of my figment if you care to read

this game is decent, I have fun playing it (so far, until I figure it out probably).

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Lagi said:

clicking this little arrow to divide fleet drive me nuts:

Me too! You can mousewheel those values up and down.

fleet icon:
down.php

top icon:
cross above = among fleet cluster there is some capable of surface landing [colony ship].
bar under = some ships in fleets has extended fuel reserves

bottom icon has no propulsion fire = its orbiting system, and await for orders.

Encoding information in those icons is an interesting idea, but they are very small. When we come up with a better graphic, I'll try to incorporate those ideas.

SIlicoid abilit to land on every planet, impoverish the gameplay. You dont care anymore about planet you discover. In fact I colonies every system I'm able to reach. It should be limited somehow, maybe only mineral rich planet being able to colonise by Silicoid (without some tech)?

This is the key ability of the Silicoids and they are fast starters as a result. However, their slow population growth really holds them back later in the game.

Sending transport from Colony panels:

post more of my figment if you care to read

this game is decent, I have fun playing it (so far, until I figure it out probably).

I'll send those screenshots over to the graphic designer for input. There are already two places to send transports, though. A 3rd might seem superfluous.[/QUOTE]

Lagi

Savant
There are already two places to send transports, though. A 3rd might seem superfluous
in fleet panel there is very hard access to information about how many population has each system. you see planet size, if you inspect planet one by one . Population data is easly available in Colonies panel, in form of nice sortable chart for all your imperium.

good solution would be to include population-numbers under each system, on map, in fleet panel.

This is the key ability of the Silicoids and they are fast starters as a result. However, their slow population growth really holds them back later in the game.
Ray my complaints its not about Silicoids balance. [ I can now judge this, since I'm complete noob]
It about game value. Take away Player need to interest what system he discover. Its like you create one race who doesnt have to design ships. They just sending some "energy" through the galaxy that is sum of their military technologies [like sending Ground Forces]. By playing such race you reduce some element to be play with.
Any way next time I will be playing other race :)

Me too! You can mousewheel those values up and down.
WOOW... this change my opinion 180 degree. It's well designed. Need to play next game to judge it though.

Waterd

Augur
Actually one of the strenghts of MOO is that each race is more than just a few more numbers here and there, they drastically change how you need to approach the game.

You need to worry about the system you discover. If you discover a radiated planet, it means you can't play around the fact you are not losing the planet anytime soon, where a terrain planet, is gonna be a planet that is in high risk.

You prolly should prioritize taking Terran/jungle planets anyway, not only because they tend to be big and great, because silicoids are very slow at building up, and you need as soon as possible to start to develop these planets in the frontiers to be able to setup defenses.

Where a toxic planet you know you have a leeway to start building it, since opponents won't be able to for a while.

Waterd

Augur
Some of my own feedback:

-I think the race screen is a downgrade from the original moo as it is now. I loved that once you enter the race screen you had a lot of information given at once, all the races relationship, state, trade, relation, and more important, spies. Now everytime i want to check i have to go one by one, checking.

-I hope the Base transport cost is increased, it's very annoying that i'm incentivized to send transport every turn to keep my planets on HALF population, instead of being incentivized to make BIG transports. i think the way to do that is to increase BASE transport cost and reduce the cost for each individual million pop added.

Or making it so you can only send transports every 10 years or something.

-Sending ships to destinations is annoying because after you do send the order, your ship is still selected.

-The hitbox for clicking systems is weird, sometimes if the planet even have a lot of flyign ships around is almost impossible to select.

-Trying to manage the colonies from the colonies tab, crashes the game.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Some of my own feedback:

-I think the race screen is a downgrade from the original moo as it is now. I loved that once you enter the race screen you had a lot of information given at once, all the races relationship, state, trade, relation, and more important, spies. Now everytime i want to check i have to go one by one, checking.

There's a lot more information to show now.... the space is really cramped. The MOO1 version was limited to a maximum of 5 opponents so it could fit all of that on a single screen.

-I hope the Base transport cost is increased, it's very annoying that i'm incentivized to send transport every turn to keep my planets on HALF population, instead of being incentivized to make BIG transports. i think the way to do that is to increase BASE transport cost and reduce the cost for each individual million pop added.

Or making it so you can only send transports every 10 years or something.

The AI does not micromanage that, so you should not feel incentivized to do that yourself. I'll probably change the growth curve of the planet if this becomes a real problem since the curve in MOO1 was never realistic.

-Sending ships to destinations is annoying because after you do send the order, your ship is still selected.

What should the game automatically select after you've sent a fleet? The reason the fleet is selected is to facilitate splitting fleets.

-The hitbox for clicking systems is weird, sometimes if the planet even have a lot of flyign ships around is almost impossible to select.

Right. The ships are in the way sometimes. This is going to get fixed, but in the meantime you can mousewheel zoom to get a better shot at the planet.

-Trying to manage the colonies from the colonies tab, crashes the game.

Can you send me the screenshot of the crash?

Lagi

Savant
I'm playing this game since a while and its amazing. I'm having a blast. I dont really play MoO before, so I have kinda fresh noob view on the game. However Ground Combat concept I didn't find much appealing.

Sending millions, civilian habitant to fight aliens, as infantry armed with hand weapons, to the complete, ethnic extermination of one side, is a silly, immature and cruel idea. Nations capable of space travel, already learn how to build machines dedicated for planetary combat as well.

My proposition is to change "population wars" into "military machine wars". Ground Combat last until one side has no more war-tools. Not until reducing population to zero. For that it would required to incorporate one more resource "Military equipment" to manage. Still automatic ground combat is a thing to keep. Additional layer of manual ground combat will increase tedious, and as such should be avoided.

Military equipment would be an "abstract" amount of various vehicles, weapons and systems useful during planetary wars. Such as: navy ships, submarines, airplanes, hovercrafts, hydroplanes, VTOL, aero-statics (balloons, anti-gravity vessels), wheeled trucks, tracked tanks, strider robots, mobile radar/jammer/communication system.

Empires need soldiers mainly as machinery operators, similar like with factories. The more advanced tech, the less human need to control bigger armies.

Game already has Defense spending slider, for building missile bases. if base limit is reach, Let Defense spending go to creating military equipment.

Military will be limited by it maintenance cost. The more staff you had the more production it consume, the slower you produce next tanks, until production curve reach its boundary.

If you had more tanks that planet production allocated into Defenses, then some tanks will deteriorate over few turns time (not instant), till military quantity reach level support by planet. There is no need to micro-control scrap military, just cut budget (reduce Defense slider).

During sending transport you will have two slider to adjust for transfer: population or/and military equipment. If you send military equipment automatically some population from home planet would be send also, as soldier.

If by any means, pure civilian transport reach foreign system. All passengers would be absorbed by ruler at the destination.

Long war:
ground combat shouldn't be blitz resolved at the time of turn-end. If one side is not defeated after few attacks, then struggle continues in next turn. It allow to reinforce your troops, escape with population to other systems, abandon planet or retreat from inauspicious invasion.

if during ground war, 3rd (or more) race land on planet, it will join to one side (if has ally/ war declare), in rare case where its not possible to assign newcomers, previous combatant will join his forces to repel all new threads, this turn.

example:
already lasting wars with A+B(who join shortly after) vs C.
next turn D,E,F land. D is ally to C, while E and F has no diplomatic relation with anybody.
Next turn: A+B+C+D vs E+F.
Lets say ABCD win,
next turn: A+B vs C+D.

The amount of attack should be limited by race nature. Lets say that normally each race do 3 attack per turn, Pacifist 2x, and warrior nation (Bulrathi, Mrrasha) 4x attack per turn. Attacks are simultaneous, so if pacifist fight with warrior, they have to fight 4x times in a turn. Only rarely one turn will last 2 attacks (need 2x pacifist side involved in combat).

Obviously the planet type that are gonna be invade and the sender planet, should play a big role. If you send military equipment from Desert system to invade Ocean planet, you can expect nothing else but a complete disaster. Your engineers at Desert could ofc make quickly some adjustment to reduce water leakage inside the hull, but seriously heavy tank has little to no chance against rocket frigate on the open sea.

Also ground tech could be renamed to something more appropriate for serious research than "Hand Laser". fex "Sonic weapons" +X ground combat (sonic need atmosphere). "Seismic strike" need ground, exclusive to ground combat. "Incinerating Gel" - fancy name for napalm. Some tech can also has a additional function F.ex. "Combat drones" reduce amount of pop required for military. "Nano Camouflage" reduce enemy numbers of attack per turn during ground combat by 1. "EMP" reduce amount of enemy equipment by %, for first attack in turn, "Field Medicine" - recover killed population (also enemy) during ground combat.
It could be further divided into defensive techs reducing casualties (better hull) and offensive (better maneuver, due to better engines).

This change would allow to lower, currently extremely high population growth rate to more rational levels. Slow pop growth make you value people more (own or conquered).

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Sending millions, civilian habitant to fight aliens, as infantry armed with hand weapons, to the complete, ethnic extermination of one side, is a silly, immature and cruel idea. Nations capable of space travel, already learn how to build machines dedicated for planetary combat as well.

Well, the whole concept of interplanetary invasion is silly because a tiny scout ship impacting a planet at .9c is both undetectable (until it's too late) and provides enough kinetic energy to melt the planetary crust. So we make allowances for better story-telling. Remnants is a feature clone of MOO1 so the planetary invasion feature is not going to change beyond eliminating bugs and exploits.

Anyone who still wants to try the alpha can get it from "Download the Alpha" link at: https://remnantsoftheprecursors.com

For those who like artwork, here's a sample image of the Mrrshan Soldier coming in the next alpha:

mrrshan_soldier_21.jpg

TigerKnee

Arcane
What's the current status of the Alpha anyway? Fully playable in terms of gameplay but a lot of the art isn't there yet?

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Things remaining until ready for beta:

Tactical Ship Combat
Random Events
Final 3 races
Remaining 50% UI redesign

People are playing it now and having fun. They are just auto-resolving ship combat & not playing the Mrrshan, Humans, or Klackons. The next alpha will have ship combat & the Mrrshan

Waterd

Augur
One of the reasons that i stopped testing is the lack of options for difficulty, currently the game is too easy for veterans. But I don't see it on your list, and is the only thing i'm waiting.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
One of the reasons that i stopped testing is the lack of options for difficulty, currently the game is too easy for veterans. But I don't see it on your list, and is the only thing i'm waiting.

Adding options for difficulty would be counter-productive for the alpha.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Yeah, nobody will ever buy it if they try the hardest difficulty in alpha and rape the AI. Gotta wait till release to put difficulties in, like everybody else is doing.

Well, the game will be free. I was thinking more along the lines of finding the AI shortcomings. If players are playing the alpha on high difficulties, that will mask the AI problems, making it harder to find and fix them.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, nobody will ever buy it if they try the hardest difficulty in alpha and rape the AI. Gotta wait till release to put difficulties in, like everybody else is doing.

Well, the game will be free. I was thinking more along the lines of finding the AI shortcomings. If players are playing the alpha on high difficulties, that will mask the AI problems, making it harder to find and fix them.

I have to say this is a solid design approach that can only be used when your aim isn't money. Props for that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom