Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remnants of the Precursors - Merry Christmas, bitches

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Maybe I should change the phrasing of that. I was just showing you the inspiration for the artwork.

Endemic

Arcane
Maybe I should change the phrasing of that. I was just showing you the inspiration for the artwork.

I get what you were aiming for (halfway between Terran and Tundra), but in-game stats and the artwork make Steppe seem like a smaller Terran planet instead.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
I wouldn't say smaller as much as less habitable... i.e. less like Terran. The idea is that Terran, Jungle and Steppe planets have ocean-sized bodies of water but the population maximums vary to due climatic differences (Jungle = a ittle too hot, Steppe = a little too cold)

Then once you get down to Arid, Desert & Minimal planets, the population maxes are dropping because of increasing scarcity of water.

Endemic

Arcane
I wouldn't say smaller as much as less habitable... i.e. less like Terran. The idea is that Terran, Jungle and Steppe planets have ocean-sized bodies of water but the population maximums vary to due climatic differences (Jungle = a ittle too hot, Steppe = a little too cold)

You've got differing planet sizes within those classifications though, so it isn't always that clear cut. In this screenshot I have an Arid 70 and an Ocean 65 in range:

5zlhx6O.png

There are also Arids that are 40 or 50 to start with.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Right. There is a base size for each planet type plus a variable. It's very possible to have a "large arid" have a higher population max than a "small ocean" even though the base for ocean is larger than for arid. This is how it worked in the original game.

Endemic

Arcane
Right. There is a base size for each planet type plus a variable. It's very possible to have a "large arid" have a higher population max than a "small ocean" even though the base for ocean is larger than for arid. This is how it worked in the original game.

So you prefer just listing the population cap rather than using classes like "Tiny", "Small", "Medium" etc?

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer

So you prefer just listing the population cap rather than using classes like "Tiny", "Small", "Medium" etc?

There are no planet size classes. There's a default size for each type plus a variable amount.

Size classes also imply different surface gravities and that's not a thing in this game.

Endemic

Arcane
Size classes also imply different surface gravities and that's not a thing in this game.

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind having that as a variable, it woul distinguish the Psilons and Bulrathi more, for example.

Endemic

Arcane
Are you having trouble distinguishing between the Psilons and the Bulrathi?

I'm talking about gameplay. High-G v Low-G planet preference, etc. Not saying you should clone the MOO2 system, of course, but a few more racial traits would be nice.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Are you having trouble distinguishing between the Psilons and the Bulrathi?

I'm talking about gameplay. High-G v Low-G planet preference, etc. Not saying you should clone the MOO2 system, of course, but a few more racial traits would be nice.

I was just funning with ya, of course. The thing is that High vs Low G is important if your races don't have distinguishing gameplay. Ideally, you'd have a race that could only colonize Low-G planets, for example, so their only recourse would be to glass enemy colonies on High-G planets, or something like that.

Currently, what I am doing (mentally) is using gravity as a justification for the "one planet per system" limitation of the game. In this hypothetical scenario, there are lots of other planets in each system but their gravity is too high or too low for life. After all, what little we know about the effects of low-gravity environments on humans is mostly very negative. So, in the FICTIONAL ROTP universe, races are generally constrained to only living on terrestrial-sized planets which is why you only see one per system.

(Yes, I am fully aware that many systems have multiple Earth-sized planets, but that's a lot less to hand-wave away than gas giants and Mars-sized planets)

Lord Rocket

Erudite
it might be worth reminding peeps that no new changes/features (over MOO1) will be added until after v1.0 is ready

Endemic

Arcane
Currently, what I am doing (mentally) is using gravity as a justification for the "one planet per system" limitation of the game. In this hypothetical scenario, there are lots of other planets in each system but their gravity is too high or too low for life. After all, what little we know about the effects of low-gravity environments on humans is mostly very negative. So, in the FICTIONAL ROTP universe, races are generally constrained to only living on terrestrial-sized planets which is why you only see one per system.

(Yes, I am fully aware that many systems have multiple Earth-sized planets, but that's a lot less to hand-wave away than gas giants and Mars-sized planets)

I know, but you're sticking to MOO1 in that respect, to avoid micromanagement issues. There's already the larger galaxy sizes for more planets.

spectre

Arcane
I like the crater left by the frst two animations. I wonder, if it were possible to leave the victim's legs standing on the vaporizing and disrupting animation to serve a similar function. Perhaps not on all deaths, but just for a bit of variety.
Technically, it doesn't do a lot for the game, but little touches like this matter, imo. And would a bit of life to those otherwise simple (in a good way) anims.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Technically, it doesn't do a lot for the game, but little touches like this matter, imo.

This is exactly why these animations are being done. If you don't have all of the ceremony and little touches, then the game might as well just be a spreadsheet.

The disruptor and the vaporizer are intended to leave no trace. All of the other attacks will leave something behind, even if it's a burnt corpse.

Endemic

Arcane
Not bad, although I'll probably be turning off those engine animations :P

Endemic

Arcane
There's not much to discuss. Next update isn't for a while:

What’s coming in Alpha 5
This is the tentative feature set for the next Alpha. There is no scheduled date currently since I need to get a feel first for how much time the artwork will require. If I had to guess? March-April 2018.

Turn-based Ship Combat – players will be able to tactically control their ships in turn-based combat

Ground Combat Death animations – when soldiers die, you’ll see it. This was originally planned for Alpha 3 but pushed back due to schedule constraints.

Additional User Interface redesigns – planned for the next alpha are the Ship Design, Map, and Galactic Council UI. Maybe another if time permits. Ship Design was planned for Alpha 3 but also pushed back due to schedule constraints.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom