Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Remove Chad J. Thundercock's tag

Remove Chad's tag

• Total voters

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Giving undeserved tags when someone has a different opinion than your own is the worst kind of nazi behaviour.
I know right!? Hitler had dumbfucked all his generals, then gave himself the Repressed Homosexual tag. Tsk tsk, classic nazis.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Fact remains, Jarl Frank is a really good sport.

You must have done something really crazy like criticizing the wrong games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I would say it's pretty unusual if Jarl Frank gets mad over anything.
I even called his books mentally ill trash and he seemed to take it as a big compliment.
Apparently he dumbfucked people for criticizing Thief, but I made it through unscathed so maybe you have to insult it in a particular way.
Looking Glass / Ion Storm Thief, or new Thief?

Looking Glass / Ion Storm Thief, or new Thief?
The latter might as well not exist.

Eh, it was good for what it is.

Gt9TSVm.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I was initially sympathatic to this request. Then I learned that Chad cheats at Gothic II. :argh:
Fuck off. If I didn't cheat I wouldn't have been able to progress because of the retarded Lares bug.
And literally the only thing I did to cheat was to warp through the door to get to Jharkendar. I didn't use the cheats for anything else and disabled them after I had warped through the door.

Hevnknekt

Educated
I was initially sympathatic to this request. Then I learned that Chad cheats at Gothic II. :argh:
Fuck off. If I didn't cheat I wouldn't have been able to progress because of the retarded Lares bug.
And literally the only thing I did to cheat was to warp through the door to get to Jharkendar. I didn't use the cheats for anything else and disabled them after I had warped through the door.

In all my playthroughs I've never encountered a Lares bug. You must have done something to deserve it, and now you're cheating to avoid taking responsibility. You basically raped Gothic II by entering that door against its will. Face it: Your playthrough has become a perversion of justice. So vile. I'll pray that your mischief has broken something that will come back to haunt you. :mad:

Fine, you made me laugh. Perhaps I'll remember to fist you in July 2019.

Will get back at you for propagating the HEVN thing though.

:negative:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
When I was younger I got roped in to watching my 3 month old niece while my sister got her hair done. So there I am, sitting in the waiting room of a hair salon with my niece, and who walks in but Keanu Reeves. I was nervous as shit, and just kept looking at him as he read a magazine and waited, but I was too scared to say anything to him. Pretty soon though my niece started crying, and I'm trying to quiet her down because I didn't want to bother Keanu, but she wouldn't stop. Pretty soon he gets up and walks over. He started running his hands through her hair and asked what was wrong. I replied that she was probably hungry or something. So Keanu Reeves put down his magazine, picked up my niece, and lifted his shirt. He breast-fed her right there in the middle of a hair salon. Chill guy, really nice about it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
In all my playthroughs I've never encountered a Lares bug. You must have done something to deserve it, and now you're cheating to avoid taking responsibility. You basically raped Gothic II by entering that door against its will. Face it: Your playthrough has become a perversion of justice. So vile. I'll pray that your mischief has broken something that will come back to haunt you. :mad:
It never happened to me, so it can't happen to anyone else.
Fuck off retard. I hope you get the Lares bug on all your playthroughs, and the invincible ice dragon bug too like I did.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I absolutely did not expect to find myself agreeing with agentorange in the OP. I was actually coming just to shitpost (this is still a shitpost, but you know what I mean).

Ion Maiden fanboys should be humanely euthanized.

Come to think of it, I had a few things to say about it myself. For example:

c182cfe822.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I would say it's pretty unusual if Jarl Frank gets mad over anything.

I even called his books mentally ill trash and he seemed to take it as a big compliment.
Apparently he dumbfucked people for criticizing Thief, but I made it through unscathed so maybe you have to insult it in a particular way.

I'm not familiar with multiple instances where JarlFrank has dumbfucked people over Thief discussions, but I am familiar with one instance in particular... because that was the time I asked him to.

I asked for anvi to be dumbfucked because he made a few shit-tier posts about Thief, but the highlight was this one: (quoted below)

One of the later [Thief] games was a lot better. It had a bow and arrow to cap people but also there were water arrows that put the lights out that added a whole new dimension to the game. I think that was probably the peak of the series. It still wasn't perfect but it was a lot better. I respect the early versions for what they did, but they aren't great games in terms of actual mechanics and stuff, which is what really matters...

Anyone who has spent a few minutes with any of the Thief games knows the following fact: Water arrows are not only available in every Thief game, they're available in every Thief game from the start.

Conclusion: Here's someone trying to claim gaming cred by stating he's played the Thief games... when he clearly hasn't.

(Astute readers may notice that JarlFrank didn't stop with just the Dumbfuck tag, as anvi decided to double down rather than realize and accept his mistake.)

But, in a major feat of coincidence, I later get into a debate/argument with another Codexer who's railing on the Thief games. You can find that post here. Just scroll down a little bit to see who I'm arguing with, and you may see a pattern beginning to emerge.

Also, Chad's "arguments" in the Ion Maiden thread speak for themselves. Arguing that Ion Maiden is a cash-in riding on the retro nostalgia wave is fair, but then he goes overboard by stating that the original Doom engine is equal to the Build engine. Uh-huh. No.

As a result I voted "No" in the poll, with the reservation that it really says "Not yet". Unlike many other Codexers Chad seems to be a learning animal and is improving, to the point that the "Possibly Retarded" tag may be unwarranted one day. But that day hasn't come yet, so until then I can only say to Chad "Keep on posting, you may get there one day." I should know, I was in a very similar position here on the Codex over nine years ago.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I don't see him saying that the Doom engine is "equal to" Build anywhere in that thread. What Chad does say is is right though, which is that the Build engine was a relatively minor improvement over the Doom engine, allowing for more interactive setpieces and elaborate scripted sequences. Meanwhile the supposed vertical dimension that it allows barely works forcing developers to come up with all sorts of band-aid solutions like room over room, and, more importantly, as far as vertical gameplay goes it was almost immediately superseded by the Quake engine.

This is what Nark says in that thread in regards to how Build is better: " BUILD games' level design has always been about realistic environments and littering them with tons of small details and interactive objects, as well as elaborate (by mid 90's standards) scripted setpieces in the form of earthquakes/explosions/aeroplanes moving/trains moving/ships moving/driveable vehicles, etc." Note the use of the word "realistic" which is ironic because people attack Chad later in the thread for claiming that realistic, tactical shooters are an evolution of the FPS genre. Duke Nukem 3D didn't become popular because it was a better shooter than Doom, it became popular because Duke had a potty mouth and you could level buildings with the press of a button, and pay strippers, and do all sorts of other scripted shenanigans during the levels -- stuff that now days we would point to as decline enabling distractions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom