Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Ash

Arcane
DMC1 is indeed awesome, though seemingly dismissed in other Codex threads as some relic that the sequels outclass in every way (namely DMC3), which is just not true. Some aspects are better in the sequels, others worse.
Ahh back when Capcom/AAA were good and console gaming was just as valuable to me as PC gaming

:negative:

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was super psyched for this and might even have gotten the collectors edition for that sweet Leon statue and chest... but now they will do it with that fucking Denuvo
When are developers going to learn? The game is going to get cracked anyway so the only thing you do is hurt costumers with that shit! I am NOT playing this on a controller or a console and was actually thinking of installing Steam on my gaming PC just to play this but now fuck this shit I will patiently wait a couple of weeks for the cracked version and you can kiss my money goodbye Capcom

Last edited:
I meant how does DMC reveal the similarities between RE4 and, say RE 1. Feels like a bridge between the two poles. DMC had camera perspectives like classic RE, which 4 doesn't have, mixed with camera tracking, which RE4 does have. RE4's aiming is completely manual, unlike the other two. Flavor text they all share but I'm not sure if I'd call that a significant or crucial design similarity. Same with keys, which is just general adventure game shit. The items stuff and the castle definitely is similar between RE4 and DMC, no doubt.

But it's interesting how Capcom games inform each other. You can trace Dragon's Dogma all the way back to Magic Sword, for example, and of course the Monster Hunter similarities. SF2 informed a ton of their games.

And thanks for reminding me how awesome DMC1 was. It was as much of a game changer as RE1 and RE4.

Well DMC1 is informed by Resident Evil because it was a Resident Evil game. It's the original RE4 that started development after RE2 came out.

But yeah, in many cases their seems to be a kind of through line with a lot of what they do, even if they don't intend it.

Machocruz

Arcane
DMC1 is indeed awesome, though seemingly dismissed in other Codex threads as some relic that the sequels outclass in every way (namely DMC3), which is just not true. Some aspects are better in the sequels, others worse.
Ahh back when Capcom/AAA were good and console gaming was just as valuable to me as PC gaming

They only look at mechanics. This happens with series, people, even the developers, tend to sperg over combat intricacies, combo size, frames, cancelling, etc. As an overall game, DMC1 is more memorable and "whole" than 4. Being built on a foundation of RE helped. Hard to explain the feeling. Like you could take out the scoring and simplify the combat even more in 1 and still have a satisfying adventure because of the environments, enemies, music, pacing, atmosphere. Not so much for 4. Kind of like how Diablo 1 feels like the journey matters, but by 3 people are most concerned with dps, modifiers, numbers flying out of enemies, incremental upgrades/boosts etc. while the adventure itself is banalshitboring.

Ash

Arcane

They only look at mechanics. This happens with series, people, even the developers, tend to sperg over combat intricacies, combo size, frames, cancelling, etc. As an overall game, DMC1 is more memorable and "whole" than 4. Being built on a foundation of RE helped. Hard to explain the feeling. Like you could take out the scoring and simplify the combat even more in 1 and still have a satisfying adventure because of the environments, enemies, music, pacing, atmosphere. Not so much for 4. Kind of like how Diablo 1 feels like the journey matters, but by 3 people are most concerned with dps, modifiers, numbers flying out of enemies, incremental upgrades/boosts etc. while the adventure itself is banalshitboring.

The original has the strongest atmosphere in the series by far. The level design is Resident Evil-like, the format of making your way through a large interconnected space solving puzzles, exploring, managing resources and taking on enemies. It's more open than Later Devil May Cry games, but more linear than Resident Evil (and games that go beyond, of course). The art style is rock solid and waaay more diverse and memorable than the later games (e.g much less copy-paste/rehashing). The platforming focus is more involved than the later games, as is exploration and puzzle elements. In general, there's more diversity to everything, except the combat which while still solid is improved in later games, but not by a huge amount because the original set the bar high with good mechanics, testing challenge, and engaging memorable AI types such as these:

latest
latest
latest

It's let down mainly by that water level mid-way through. Not because water levels are inherently bad as some tools believe, but just because it's poorly executed and rather boring. I appreciate the attempt at further diversity nonetheless.

The end boss is also a bit underwhelming in comparison to the legendary Nelo Angelo, Tarantula and Griffon bosses.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Resident evil with mouse and keyboard :deadtroll:

Yes, a third person game with manual aiming being played with mouse. Truly unthinkable.

Well, I was remembering my experience with RE4 on PC when I wrote that. Aiming the laser pointer with mouse felt very inaccurate to me for some reason, like it were sliding or weirdly flicking. That's why I always prefered to play 4 and 5 with pad. I guess that with the modern RE the mouse is a lot more comfortable and useful for aiming.

You preferred to play 5 with a pad because the first port of 4 had shitty controls. So now every RE game must be played with a gamepad. I guess even the FPS one. Thank you for finally making sense.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
So now every RE game must be played with a gamepad. I guess even the FPS one. Thank you for finally making sense.

Never said that, pal. Stop with those shitty strawman fallacies. This was just a humorous statement, and I already mentioned that modern RE controls fits perfectly with mouse and keyboard.

sullynathan

Arcane
It's more open than Later Devil May Cry games, but more linear than Resident Evil (and games that go beyond, of course). The art style is rock solid and waaay more diverse and memorable than the later games (e.g much less copy-paste/rehashing). The platforming focus is more involved than the later games, as is exploration and puzzle elements. In general, there's more diversity to everything,
this isn't even true
The end boss is also a bit underwhelming
Mundus is great

Ebonsword

Arcane
It appears RE0 is actually the best and hardest one of the classic RE games.

Yeah, I can't really endorse that opinion.

REmake is easily the best combination of graphics, atmosphere, and gameplay. RE:0 didn't really improve on any of that and added the whole co-op mechanic which was a bit too gimmicky.

As far as hardest classic Resident Evil game, I'd say it'd have to be RE3, especially if you're going through your first play through and are fighting Nemesis every time he appears.

Momock

Augur
It's the hardest, yeah, but for bullshit reasons (no chests, some crappy ennemies like the monkeys and the AI companion doing shit) that prevents it to be the best. And also the story is :prosper:.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does Rebecca mention the incident in RE1? From what I remember there is a bit of a disconnect, with that I mean it seems she has no experience at fighting zombies at all, but not 100% sure though. I know the game was made after 1 of course, but not sure how it fits in really.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Zero have a bunch of continuity errors, weird Treatment plant that looks just like plant from RE2 is another one.

Zero is mediocre. Hard for the sake of being hard, obnoxious enemies like monkeys and hunters that can stunlock you, annoying puzzles and backtracking, story is silly anime, etc.
Still better than Code Veronica though.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Zero have a bunch of continuity errors, weird Treatment plant that looks just like plant from RE2 is another one.

Zero is mediocre. Hard for the sake of being hard, obnoxious enemies like monkeys and hunters that can stunlock you, annoying puzzles and backtracking, story is silly anime, etc.
Still better than Code Veronica though.
Code Veronica is GoAT. GTFO and git gud.

Adon

Arcane
I actually walked away from RE0 pretty positively considering all that I had heard.

Greater inventory management than most RE games (hookshot :argh:), enemies that were better to just run away from (the eliminators were a source of great rage until you learn how to effectively dodge and deal with them), and the "co-op" mechanic was neat if you were smart about it; i.e. splitting Rebecca and Bill up instead of just keeping them together for no reason. If you properly learned the game, you could avoid almost all the hassles in the game, especially the eliminators.

I think it gets a worse rep than it deserves, and does a good job of differentiating itself from REmake -- even if some design decisions feel like they're just for the sake of differentiating itself -- either way I think the game ended up being better for it.

That being said, I do think the very final boss is a bit bullshit with it spraying acid everywhere. Damn near impossible to not get hit at least once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom