Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

sullynathan

Arcane
Still single space inventory items.

Adon

Arcane
Nope, still not convinced. This almost looks like a different game, playing out in the RE2 locations. The RE 1 remake was much more faithful, it was a step by step recretaion of the original IIRC. The faces are atrocious, the voices are jarring. This could be a good game on its own, but as a huge fan of the original, I can't look at that way.

Not really. REmake was more faithful than the RE2 remake seems to be, but there were plenty of additions that weren't in the original game that were in REmake -- definitely not a step-by-step recreation.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll keep an open mind.

I was hoping for something like RE Remake, but this does at least seem a little less action heavy than RE 4.

Wunderbar

Arcane

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Really like how the gameplay looks. Too bad about the washed out colors. Game Developers should watch some movies from 70s and 80s to see how it's done.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still single space inventory items.
so far the only items shown were:
- pistol;
- green herb;
- knife;
- jar of gunpowder;
- box of handgun ammo.

All of these items are small enough to fit into one slot.
somehow I doubt they will be using Resident Evil 4 inventory management
they will be using RE7 inventory management.
Pistol is 1 slot, shotgun is 2 slots, etc.

RE7 inventory management was pretty close to classic, though I wonder if they'll have RE7 style inventory capacity upgrades.

RE2 just had the sidepack which was only for one character.

Ash

Arcane
Looks like they've added an [in]accuracy system and included lots of darkness to address the freedom granted by the camera swap.

And yeah, HUD indicators suck ass. Where's my old school running around hammering the interact button on everything!

sullynathan

Arcane
RE7 ran well so I'm expecting this to also run at 1080p 60 on consoles too. Did RE2 also have a flashlight? It would be nice if you needed to find batteries for your flashlight to keep it on.

Is there a way to turn these hud-markers off?
could you turn it off in RE7? Seems to me the game is taking lots of UI choices from that

they will be using RE7 inventory management.
Pistol is 1 slot, shotgun is 2 slots, etc.

RE7 inventory management was pretty close to classic, though I wonder if they'll have RE7 style inventory capacity upgrades.

RE2 just had the sidepack which was only for one character.
I've only played RE7 demo which didn't have much gameplay outside of walking. I prefer Resident Evil 4's inventory management over the first RE.

Ash

Arcane
RE2 had no darkness affecting gameplay, so no flashlight. Well, aside from one or two rooms like in the original where you use a lighter/light switch. It's obviously a change to keep visibility low and fear high in the face of the camera angle swap, though I hope it isn't too prominent and that they take a varied approach to the same problem.

Regarding Cold Fear: bit underrated really. The fixed angles combined with the over the shoulder aiming was definitely a highlight. The game had an unremarkable story and the gameplay was only serviceable, but the concept of mixing fixed angles with over the shoulder aiming was a damn good one, almost the best of both worlds.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Nope, still not convinced. This almost looks like a different game, playing out in the RE2 locations. The RE 1 remake was much more faithful, it was a step by step recretaion of the original IIRC. The faces are atrocious, the voices are jarring. This could be a good game on its own, but as a huge fan of the original, I can't look at that way.

Honestly do not understand how you feel this way. Obviously it's a new game, it's a reimagining of re2, not a 1:1 remake. They never said they were gonna do the remake similar to what RE1 was.

So maybe you are disappointed because you expected something differnet?

I think the game looks absolutely smashing, and like I said, the over the shoulder stuff you get used to, it's not as bad as people make it up to be tbh

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wanting fixed angle cam in 2018? :hahano:

It was a technical limitation at that time. Get over it.
I was really pleased to see fixed camera angles in Until Dawn, an expensive modern console game. It did a good job of showing what needed to be shown, and the environments were 3D instead of pictures, so the camera could move around more, which is even better.

DtWDxh0.jpg

abGDbI9.jpg

I don't know why you'd wanna do scenes like this with the usual zoomed in over the shoulder view. I don't want all horror games to play the same.

Kitchen Utensil

Honestly do not understand how you feel this way. [...] it's not as bad as people make it up to be tbh

It is when you grew up on the originals with pre-rendered backgrounds and static cam angles and you loved those games because of it. Starting with RE4, I completely lost interest in the series. I'm not saying the following games are bad, I just didn't like any of them and they have nothing of what made the original games some of my all time favourites. There are so many third person and over the shoulder perspective games in all kinds of genres, that a RE2 remake would have been the perfect opportunity to return to these great pre-renderd backgrounds and static cam angles, especially considering how good REmake turned out.

I didn't even expect RE2 Remake to have them, but I'm still disappointed that it turned out to be so, because it was probably the last chance to get a "true" (in my mind) RE again.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Honestly do not understand how you feel this way. Obviously it's a new game, it's a reimagining of re2, not a 1:1 remake. They never said they were gonna do the remake similar to what RE1 was.

I think the game looks absolutely smashing, and like I said, the over the shoulder stuff you get used to, it's not as bad as people make it up to be tbh
I haven't followed the news about this too closely to be honest, so maybe my expectations were misplaced, but I expected a 1:1 remaster (like with the DMC games) not a full remake. So it's probably my fault, but it does not click with me. This looks similar to RE4 for me, and I always preferred the old RE games to RE4.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

I haven't followed the news about this too closely to be honest, so maybe my expectations were misplaced, but I expected a 1:1 remaster (like with the DMC games) not a full remake. So it's probably my fault, but it does not click with me. This looks similar to RE4 for me, and I always preferred the old RE games to RE4.

Fair enough, I prefer the old RE games, too, but this game really looks and feels WAY WAY beyond RE4. RE4 was kind of shit, the camera was also zoomed out further in RE4 than in this, and RE4 was also alot more actiony than this appears to be.

I would have liked tank controls, too, but over the shoulder really isn't bothering me as much as I initially thought. it looks cool, u get to see more of the scenery, and the game is still hard and can scare the shit of out you, because of the lighting effects and aggressive zombies in your face.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Honestly do not understand how you feel this way. [...] it's not as bad as people make it up to be tbh

It is when you grew up on the originals with pre-rendered backgrounds and static cam angles and you loved those games because of it. Starting with RE4, I completely lost interest in the series. I'm not saying the following games are bad, I just didn't like any of them and they have nothing of what made the original games some of my all time favourites. There are so many third person and over the shoulder perspective games in all kinds of genres, that a RE2 remake would have been the perfect opportunity to return to these great pre-renderd backgrounds and static cam angles, especially considering how good REmake turned out.

I didn't even expect RE2 Remake to have them, but I'm still disappointed that it turned out to be so, because it was probably the last chance to get a "true" (in my mind) RE again.

It's too bad that you set yourself up for disappointment, and ultimately limit yourself to waht fun you want to have. You like what you like I guess. You are missing out on some great RE games, though.

RE7 was first person, and let me tell you, it was fucking SCARY and it was awesome. I enjoyed RE7 alot, and it wasn't even fixed camera or OTS. But whatever man. I'm sad that you don't like the newer games :( you're missing out.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Fair enough, I prefer the old RE games, too, but this game really looks and feels WAY WAY beyond RE4. RE4 was kind of shit, the camera was also zoomed out further in RE4 than in this, and RE4 was also alot more actiony than this appears to be.

I would have liked tank controls, too, but over the shoulder really isn't bothering me as much as I initially thought. it looks cool, u get to see more of the scenery, and the game is still hard and can scare the shit of out you, because of the lighting effects and aggressive zombies in your face.
I could, and might enjoy it in the end. But this....this makes it very hard. This face, God no!
EwrSYus.png

Last edited:

waterdeep

Learned
seems like people are so used to RE4 and RE6 Leon they forget that RE2 leon was a babyfaced and naive young guy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom