Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Generic-Giant-Spider

Only time I was bitten was when I thought a zombie was dead but did the old "lunge at the leg" tactic. I don't know if you can curbstomp or football kick their head off though.

sullynathan

Arcane
Welp demo completed but I didn't finish everything. I'll replay it again on pc.

Only bitten once, when I tried to dodge two zombies.

Perkel

Arcane
Only time I was bitten was when I thought a zombie was dead but did the old "lunge at the leg" tactic. I don't know if you can curbstomp or football kick their head off though.

I was once bitten in same way. I though dude died moved past him and bam he caught me.
Other time i was walking i tried to walk into room and i thought i will have ample time to open door and kill fucker.

But apparently game has some nice scripting and when zombie is near door and you open door zombie can do suprize attack where he opens door and lunges at you.

Also what i like about it is something that caused me bluescreen for a second.

In RE2 when you walk through the door zombies do not follow you.
In remake i skipped zombies and run to bathroom and door closed.
For a second i got bluescreen because i expected zombies to stop following me and i realized that i don't play RE2 but RE2 remake lol. Sure enough in few seconds zombies started banging into doors and got in.

Such a small thing and so fun.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hot damn I've never considered myself to be a fan of this series despite playing through nearly all of them, but this is pretty impressive and prob D1P for me. One small detail: if you reload while having flashlight on, Leon will hold it in his mouth temporarily while reloading.

I really like the way it blends aiming style from post RE4 games. In RE4 (and 5 too I think), you trade mobility for pin point accuracy aiming. In this game, you can move slowly while aiming so it's more difficult for zombies to catch you, but crosshair is really wide so you have to stay close to enemy just like how you fight shit in classic RE1 and 2, then after standing still for 1 second, crosshair shrinks and you get laser accuracy, just like RE4! It's classic aiming but with a modern touch. But I think the developer can go a bit further and completely remove movement while aiming on high difficulty.

The game also did bullet sponge right IMO. You take down a dude, unless his head pops then you can't be sure if he's still alive. You step through him, go back then the fucker suddenly grabs your leg. Not all zombies can be eliminated with the same number of bullets so you have to rightly pick which one you need to remove out of your way because you ultimately can't kill everything (although the demo still provided me more than enough ammunition), and the bullet sponge added to that uncertainty feeling where you're not sure if you're really safe now after killing a bunch of barriers on your path.

And the knife is apparently a multi-tool now? It has durability as a trade off too, pretty neat.

Finally not sure what kind of black magic Capcom put into this engine, but my RX 570 bottlenecked to shit with i3 4170 actually ran the game on high setting 60fps incredibly well. I don't think I ever got any framedrop whatsoever. Hope Devil May Cry 5 performs the same.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Knife is a self-defence weapon, like small daggers and flashbang in RE1 Remake. I believe, Claire will sport grenades as self-defence weapons in her campaign.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The combat feels like damage is RNG or something. Sometimes a zombie's head will pop after a few bullets, other times I can dump an entire mag into their head and they still get back up. It's actually easier to blow their legs off than it is to destroy the head.
REmake had rng headshots that didn't always blow off the head of zombies. Guess they kept that.

Yeah, it was a fun mechanic in remake. Always had me thanking the lords of RNG when I got a headshot on a zombie in a horrible place to get a crimson head.

I miss crimson heads, always made me tense when revisiting mansion areas.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Are the Hunk/Tofu scenarios DLC or included in the base game?
Yes

yes.jpg

MapMan

Arcane
I really like the recent trend of remakes effectively holding true to original design + updated graphics and small QOL changes...

Do you really think re2 2019 is a remake holding true to original design? These 2 games are vastly different in terms of gameplay, atmosphere and how they approach horror in games. Even capcom said themselves it's not so much a remake (as in what REmake was to re1) but rather a reimagination and a new game built on top of RE2 story. It's fine if you like the game but please don't be ignorant of what the original design was and what a lot of RE fans wanted. What you're saying is simply not true. People like me, who wanted something more similar to the 2002 REmake got shafted. While I do understand why Capcom decisions as to where the franchise is going, let's just be clear about what Re 2 2019 is and what it isn't.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
People like me, who wanted something more similar to the 2002 REmake got shafted.

Disagree. It obviously isn't a faithful REmake, but when you compare it with the fourth sequel and almost everything that came after, it is a nice compromise between the two.
Sure, I feel sad that developers have completely abandoned prerendered backgrounds and static film-like camera angles in favor of first-person and behind-the-shoulder viewpoints, but this is still better than nothing.

I really like the recent trend of remakes effectively holding true to original design + updated graphics and small QOL changes...

Do you really think re2 2019 is a remake holding true to original design? These 2 games are vastly different in terms of gameplay, atmosphere and how they approach horror in games. Even capcom said themselves it's not so much a remake (as in what REmake was to re1) but rather a reimagination and a new game built on top of RE2 story. It's fine if you like the game but please don't be ignorant of what the original design was and what a lot of RE fans wanted. What you're saying is simply not true. People like me, who wanted something more similar to the 2002 REmake got shafted. While I do understand why Capcom decisions as to where the franchise is going, let's just be clear about what Re 2 2019 is and what it isn't.

Not trying to be a dick I saw the writing on the wall with every jackass saying RE7 was "a return to it's roots". Was it step in the right direction that the series sorely needed? Yes. But it had some bad design decisions that would be detrimental to future games if left unaddressed. Like being slow as fucking in FPS and the lack of enemy variety. Fortunately REmagine2 (fuck you that's what im calling it) has seemed to address those concerns I had with RE7. So i'm sorta hopeful of the future of resident evil as a series now, where after RE7 I was still worried.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Sure, I feel sad that developers have completely abandoned prerendered backgrounds and static film-like camera angles in favor of first-person and behind-the-shoulder viewpoints, but this is still better than nothing.

Wait until the game arrives... because maybe a surprise is hidden in it

mkIqqeV.png

For the record, as far as I know, Fixed Camera is in as an unlockable (at the very least, they were 100% being worked on around the game's E3 reveal, but I wasn't sure if they'd gone through to the final game and still not certain, but there seems to be hints to it here), A/B Scenarios are a relic from development that were cut, and Rogue is a Rogue-Like Mode which randomizes enemy and item placement with different playable characters. First I've heard of Ada the Spy and I'm actually surprised Rogue might be something I guessed correctly from something else I heard.

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/spoilers-resident-evil-2-datamining-thread-of-spoilers.92886/

Wunderbar

Arcane

mkIqqeV.png

For the record, as far as I know, Fixed Camera is in as an unlockable (at the very least, they were 100% being worked on around the game's E3 reveal, but I wasn't sure if they'd gone through to the final game and still not certain, but there seems to be hints to it here), A/B Scenarios are a relic from development that were cut, and Rogue is a Rogue-Like Mode which randomizes enemy and item placement with different playable characters. First I've heard of Ada the Spy and I'm actually surprised Rogue might be something I guessed correctly from something else I heard.

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/spoilers-resident-evil-2-datamining-thread-of-spoilers.92886/
devs already said that there are no A-B scenarios, so this leak is most certainly a bullshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do hope that the zombies are not endless respawn. I really hated that running around and knifing shit,type of gameplay. I always cleared everything in my way!

DayofBlow

Educated
devs already said that there are no A-B scenarios, so this leak is most certainly a bullshit.

It says right there in the reee post that A/B scenarios were cut during development. Meaning there would be leftover strings referencing cut material, which is not at all unusual. It's not like you can't do a text search on the .exe in HxD yourself. It'd take all of 2 minutes to verify.

Half-baked rogue lite mode and shitty after the fact thrown together fixed camera angles. Yay. There's a bit more to effective/memorable framing of shots/camera angles than just showing a camera in the corner of the room. If there's a fixed camera mode, it's destined to be dull as pigshit and miss the point completely. No doubt several instances of horribly awkward framing to go along aswell, since level design and enemy placement has paid zero thought for a fixed perspective.

Actually, I'm not sure the alternate camera isn't a RE7 style first person mode.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I do hope that the zombies are not endless respawn. I really hated that running around and knifing shit,type of gameplay. I always cleared everything in my way!

They will respawn somehow through that new barricade system. They can break the windows and get into the police station. You will be able to barricade those windows with plank. Probably you won't be able to barricade every window, so you'll be forced to choose wisely the window you should reinforce. I don't know if thezombies will be able to destroy those barricades or not.

This gameplay mechanic is partially based on those electronic windows that you can close with the wire in the original RE2. There was only 1 wire so you were forced to choose between reinforcing the west windows or the east ones.

You don't have to, I already did thanks to that trainer TheHeroOfTime posted. The production value are solid, but the biggest issue I had was it was kinda easy. As in I didn't get hit even fucking once. There were a few close calls here and there, and I even panic shot a few times, but I never got hit. And I didn't run out of ammo either. Make no mistake the zombies still do take a lot of headshots to the head to kill them though, the problem is there was too much room to evade them. There was more to the demo I didn't explore but that's because I didn't know it would end you meet up with marvin after he calls you to meet up, so if there was a licker in the demo I didn't see/fight it. Sure it could be just that they made the demo around game journo difficultly but even then I doubt it would be raised high enough to make it challenging.

Edit: I check the other rooms I missed later today just in case, gonna take a nap first.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom