Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
REmake 2 sewers and lab >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original sewers and lab

PD: I'm curious about one thing. Do you think that the part with the G mutations was originally planned with the giant spiders in mind? I do think so, the overall nest thing screams it to me.

sullynathan

Arcane
Which are all shit, imo. There is a reason I have not played this game and that is because I find it shit. So why the fuck would I give credit to things I find shit?
So shitposting is why you're here?
Only on cutscene or critical hit, otherwise they are mostly just like those zombies from Return of the Living Dead. 10+ bullets on the head(you can easily search youtube videos of this) and still not killing them doesn't makes the head a vital spot.
so.... a vital spot then? If you can one-shot kill a Zombie with a bullet to the head, then it's a vital spot.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Regarding Nemesis in the future RE3 Remake:

You should be able to fight back but he can only be "knocked out" by using the environment, like having him charge and doing the Jill dodge so he puts his hand through an electric circuit which incapacitates him for awhile. A lot of the segments in RE3 which justifies him fucking off for awhile comes down to scripted "make your choices" like causing a huge explosion around him so they can make that a thing.

One idea I had is have Jill actually run into another Mr. X at some point and then have Nemesis appear as well, then they have this sort of moment where they fight over their food. Mr. X can't discern friend from foe, Nemesis is created solely to kill every STARS member and Mr. X is getting in the way of that. You have them rumble which Jill can use to slip away and then down the line you have Nemesis appear with Mr. X's head in hand showing he's the alpha dog. That way even if you can fight back against Nemesis you still show that this guy can fuck up a Mr. X with ease.

Ash

Arcane
Curiosity got the better of me and I played this shit to the end. Yeah 6/10 still remains. Maybe add .5 to be generous.

Decline list part 3:

-Where is the bow gun? Why remove it?
-Where is the marshalling yard? Why remove it?
-Yet more laughable and aggravatingly dumb cutscenes and writing. It's fucking infuriating how dumb all this nonsense is.
-There is now in many ways only two scenarios, as opposed to the original's four, as the game frequently just swaps the characters out in the same events, and there's not otherwise many other differences between the characters?
-Someone was trying to claim the new laboratory is superior to the original's. Don't be so sure. It's somewhat linear and has barely has two floors. The original laboratory had 5 floors. The plant enemies in this one are at least more a threat though.
-The overall tone of the game is much more, and I hate saying this in a negative context, "gamey". I love gamey games, but classic Resident Evil generally maintained a stronger, more believable and immersive tone in every way (except maybe voice acting). And it wasn't really to the detriment of any notable gameplay if using this game as a reference.
-Birkin completely pussified, at least on normal. I remember fearing this mofo. Here firstly he deals very little damage. He looks like a damn clown. His rage roars are gone. And with autosaves right before each encounter he is no longer the bastard that can take away some progress with a few hits. I'm not interested in arguing with tards whether or not frequent autosaving in this game is a good thing, you decide, but it certainly dampens player fear, immersion and urgency here.
-Supah smooth Secret Agent Ada and her remote hackz see through walls gimmick. Gotta have something like this it's a modern game, right boys? Also, does anyone actually remember what Ada's character was like in the original? Why has she been turned into the on-the-nose mega cheese modern RE-style Ada, while Leon and everyone else with continuity hasn't?

Where's all the good game design in the world gone, bingo?

Incline part 2:

-This game actually has no objective markers?
-They may have removed claire's bowgun, but at least they offered weapon upgrades for her as a substitute.
-The sewers probably are better than the originals, which was mostly linear and short.
-Not sure how I feel about how helpful the map can be now (marking items you have passed, and color coded progress marking that is more hand-holdey than the original), but it's reasonable.

All in all totally overrated seemingly even by a portion of the supposed old school crowd, though not bad for a modern remake.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
Well, that was not my experience at all. For the most part I was able to shake him off by taking him for a spin over at the library or going through the East side of the building and going up or down the fire escape. In my experience, he leaves well alone after you have put a few doors/rooms/corridors between you and him. Getting rid of him is not that much of an annoyance unless you are doing a speedrun. There is then also the fact that he just sods off once you go into one of the "safe spaces", of which BTW there are a lot of. OTOH, there's the S.TA.R.S. office, the Clock Tower, the room with the licker coming out through the glass, plus pretty much every save room. There was only one time he seems to have stuck around, and I think that was because he was trying to get out through a barred door and just stood in front of it instead of heading for the other one (this happened in the area outside the Clock Tower), but I think that is a bug, or simply AI derp.

Talking about AI, his AI is derpy indeed and easy to game. In the library for example, I found out that when I went up the ladder and ran towards the stairs, the guy would follow my trail up the ladder instead of taking a straight line towards the end of the stairs. He would only take the 'smart' approach if I was way down the stairs and pretty much on his face. It is odd that his AI is so goofy, given that most enemies have solid AI. Phase 1 Birkin, in particular, surprised me by consistently trying to 'ambush' me by appearing on the opposite side of a piece of cover instead of just blindly following me. I guess the fact that X's behavior is 'emergent' probably makes it harder for the devs to get his AI to perform as well as in the more scripted boss fights. In any case, his AI might require some patching, but as of now, it is quite exploitable.

Furthermore, if you have your routes well-planned out, have escape plans, and you know the station's layout (which you should by the time X starts pursuing), it is not that hard to prevent him from catching you with your pants down, and the only situations where you are really in danger are licker areas, and at least two of those have a safe room nearby (the S.T.A.R.S. office in the case of one, and the photo room in that of the other). I only really had three "Oh shit!" moments with him, and two of those were scripted (when you grab the crank and getting out of the prison), and thus cannot really be blamed on his systemic behavior, which is what is being discussed here.

I don't know where you got the idea that I had hard time shaking him off because I didn't. My issue comes with how often I've generally had to do it, and by the time you're in the B scenario, he's more of a nuisance whenever he's around the areas you need to be in. In the A scenario, he works good enough because it takes a while before he finally makes an appearance; however, in B, you don't get that much time before he shows up. When he did show up, it wasn't an "oh shit" moment -- it was "Again? Already?". You already had to deal with him a lot before, and well before I reached the orphanage, he had overstayed his welcome.

So while it did turn out better than I initially expected as he gets killed by Birkin halfway through the campaign, it still bogs down the game a notch.

Overall, I think to the extent that he disrupts the player's leisurely exploration he is working as intended and, in my view, well-designed. He introduces an element of unpredictability to your campaign that prevents you from letting your guard down, even on replays and when you know the layout of everything by memory, thus enhancing replayability. I think the unpredictability is good because it amps the tension in the game. This is necessary more than ever because they really have toned down the scripted jump scares and ambushes that the franchise used to rely so heavily upon, up to and including 6. Mind you, I think this is a good thing, I was never a fan of them, and actually I think QTEs were the natural development of that kind of mindset. But without them it has to be admitted that things can feel too predictable and safe, so it's a good thing that X is now around to supply that element, but in a more systems-based and logical way. Still not perfectly logical, mind, I haven't quite figured out what's up with his teleport patterns, and I do wish Capcom did a better job of communicating his mechanics. Nevertheless, it still beats scripted "Gotcha!" moments.

I had no issues with the unpredictability. Again, it was more-or-less that he becomes tiresome by the time you're doing the 2nd Run campaign.

It doesn't help the scenarios differentiate, that's for sure, but I think it was for the best overall. When you get back to the station from the parking lot, the place is pretty much empty, at least if you were thorough in cleaning it up the first time around. There are no respawns, or OTOH even new spawns in most areas . I think there is a new licker in the western corridor, and maybe some more zombies too if you didn't board up certain windows, but that's pretty much it. Of course, you get access to new areas with fresh zombies, but overall I feel that X is kind of essential for keeping the challenge up during that section (especially since a few of the new zombies can be killed before activating X). Also, there is no lore reason why X shouldn't pursue Claire too, especially in Claire A. After all, the T-00 has orders to eliminate all witnesses/survivors, not just Leon, plus recovering a G sample which, if anything, makes it more likely that it would bump heads with Claire and Sherry than Leon.

But he doesn't really keep up the challenge, that's the problem. Since you have no incentive to fight him, you're just going to run away, wait a bit in a safe zone, and then head back out there. He's a challenge when you have lickers, and other zombies around, but otherwise he's just another enemy you have to run away from.

Also, yeah, obviously there isn't going to be much rearrangement of enemies as they likely had taken into account that Mr. X was going to be there again.

Adon

Arcane
Technically, but zombies outnumber you a great deal and getting rid of a few for safer passage around certain areas that you're going to backtrack to is worth the ammo.

sullynathan

Arcane
Technically, but zombies outnumber you a great deal and getting rid of a few for safer passage around certain areas that you're going to backtrack to is worth the ammo.
so would shooting Mr.X till he kneels to get out his way. It's not like he'd be stuck in one place when you bacc tracc.

Adon

Arcane
Not worth it. It's only temporary. Killing a zombie isn't. He's also easier to juke than a zombie or a group of zombies.

Ash

Arcane
I will say this game has slightly better core gameplay than the original (not hard to accomplish), but damn near everything else is inferior: soundtrack, art style, story (writing, cutscenes, event scripting), atmosphere/tension/immersion, challenge, and maybe even audio design. Gameplay is generally king but it gets trumped here by the sheer amount of everything else the original game does better.

Edit: and there's still plenty the original did better regarding gameplay.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Since RE3 is very action-packed, a REmake 3 needs a good combat system and enemy diversity. Stamina bar, dodge system, counter attacks, melee finishers, zombies that can run, jump, spit acid and use/wear tools (axes, knives, helmets, etc). So pretty much like RE6 mechanics and enemy design, which are the best in the series. Not gonna happen though, the game will be a $60 expasion pack of RE2 with shallow combat and shitty grab-only zombies (muh survival horror).

Labs [...] strongest puzzles [...]

wat
Does Resident Evil have good puzzles?

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
When he did show up, it wasn't an "oh shit" moment -- it was "Again? Already?". You already had to deal with him a lot before, and well before I reached the orphanage, he had overstayed his welcome.

So while it did turn out better than I initially expected as he gets killed by Birkin halfway through the campaign, it still bogs down the game a notch.

I had no issues with the unpredictability. Again, it was more-or-less that he becomes tiresome by the time you're doing the 2nd Run campaign.

But he doesn't really keep up the challenge, that's the problem. Since you have no incentive to fight him, you're just going to run away, wait a bit in a safe zone, and then head back out there. He's a challenge when you have lickers, and other zombies around, but otherwise he's just another enemy you have to run away from.

Also, yeah, obviously there isn't going to be much rearrangement of enemies as they likely had taken into account that Mr. X was going to be there again.

The way it currently works does encourage degenerate gameplay (retreating to safe rooms or areas where one can shake him off), and indeed makes him more often than not an annoyance rather than a challenge, but that is not, then, because he is on the player's trail too often, but rather not often enough. Were he a more persistent pursuer, he would be more likely to catch the player in those situations in which he is genuinely dangerous (e.g. where there are other enemies).

One way they could do this is by having him patrol the area outside the safe rooms rather than have him leave, plus making it harder for him to lose the player's trail. They could then prevent this from being a total block on player exploration by adding specific environmental hazards that the player can activate in order to incapacitate him for a while (maybe 15 minutes or so, longer than his normal 'stun', in any case). This would differ from the current shake off tactics in that it would be better balanced and integrated into the level design. This they could do by making it so that the player has to survive certain hostile areas to get to the hazards, or better yet, requiring the player to actually fight the tyrant into a 'stun' in order to activate the hazards, while also having the battle area where you are supposed to down him be tight like in the elevator fight.

Had they implemented it like that they would have been able to remain more faithful to the original, while also implementing the 'emergent' aspect more fully. Heck, they could even have had him drop loot if you incapacitate him in the 'special' way, thus restoring the risk/reward element. I just feel that, as it stands, the feature seems unfinished and it probably would have been less of a hassle if they had just done it the old way. Perhaps they didn't really understand the design conundrum into which they got themselves by implementing this, and in the end it turned out they didn't have the time to really work out all of the kinks.

If they are really going to commit to this approach going forward, they should start finding solutions to these issues, because if X can't create challenge, tension, and unpredictability, there is really no point for him being implemented in the way he is. Perhaps they saw him, in part, as a good chance for a Nemesis test run. Let's just hope they are able flesh the mechanic out when the latter's time comes.

As I said in one of my previous posts, I am overall ambivalent about this aspect of the game, and a lot of its potential was unfulfilled. It did work as intended at times, and when it did, it was worth it. I also had a lot of fun with the mechanic the first time around, as it did create tension. But it does get weaker on replays and it says something that most of the best encounters with him are scripted. Definitely one of those areas with room for improvement.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Hardcore difficulty is actually well balanced. I completed my first games on that one, and it has nothing to do with the Madhouse difficulty of RE7 (Which felt unbalanced in certain points of the game). If you have experience with prior games of the franchise, just try it on Hardcore since the beginning, it's worth it.

PD: Just completed Claire on Hardcore and obtained the S+ rating, with a lot of bullets remaining. I love how these games reward your skill and knowledge about them.

Latro

Arcane
for nemesis they could go with a trap-based area design. in other words, when you encounter a new major hub to find puzzles n shit in, you have a finite amount of ways to "insta kill" nemesis. something like bashing him with a crane or etc etc. should you dick around an area too long, you're stuck actually fighting nemesis, and while he could still drop some cool loot, this is clearly a great resource tax and not something you can keep up. otherwise, yea they just make him mr.x with a rocket launcher.

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE3 is so linear and action-packed, adding over-the-shoulder camera will just turn in into RE4.

I hope they'll just stitch different streets into one cohesive map, sort of open-world Raccoon City where you can avoid Nemesis by picking different route.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Started playing this game and honestly I feel like playing REmake now.
EDIT: Switched to Standard and the enemies feel 10x less spongey now.

Last edited:

KK1001

Arbiter
Game is a fine (but not great) adaptation that, unlike REmake, unfortunately kills all the charm of the original game by turning it into a samey mess. Some things are improved, but the voice acting is fucking shit, the music isn't any good, and the game's tone just lacks any mystery or the macabre.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Left off right after the first Birkin fight in on Hardcore Leon B and i must say the hardest part was actually the very beginning right outside the police station. The vast majority of my deaths were there, lmao. I hardly have died since then (no more than once or twice since).

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I'm longingly awaiting Viata's explanation how firing 6 grenade rounds into Birkin, running to the other side of the platform and firing 6 more rounds was better than anything the Remake did. Based on playing only the demo, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom