Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by TheHeroOfTime, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Adon Prophet

Adon
    Right, as if those were the only issues with that game. Let's not forget Steve, the story in general (the intro is so lolwhat), the awful backtracking, the boring/drab environments (Antarctica lab not included), these guys, etc.,

The only reason I give props to the level design over RE3 is because Rockfort Island has (an awful amount of) backtracking, but the actual environments and art direction is pretty dull compared to seeing the destroyed leftovers of Raccoon City from RE3.

RE3 is more linear due to the more dangerous enemies that are not limited to Nemesis, but you can easily fix that in a remake. Can't say the same for CV without having to overhaul everything in that game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    RE3 was easily the least ambitious and interesting of the classic games.

I didn't find anything boring about Code Veronica. On the contrary, The setting for RE3 was largely just a rehash of RE2 and felt like pure laziness where the level design was concerned. There's a reason why so many RE fans refer to RE3 as "RE 2.5".

CV was interesting because it finally got us out of Raccoon City (Thank God!), and the story was more than just being about modern day Umbrella.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    any game that features wesker was bad. a big part of the reason RE2 is remembered so fondly is due to the lack of horribu animu shit, like Wesker and alexa and whatever other silly shit. RE2 (and 1 I guess) are way more grounded and thus held up better throughout time.

^ Top  
  4. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Nemesis is awesome :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Adon Prophet

Adon
    I don't know how RE3 is a rehash of RE2 in anything but the Police Station of which you only explore 10% of for like 20 minutes at best.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    It's the same section of Raccoon City and it feels like it. Even though it's not the exact same locations, they have that 'been here done that' feel about them.

^ Top  
  7. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Doesn't like 95% of RE2 take place inside the police station, sewers and the Umbrella lab?

RE3 mostly takes place in the streets (which are only featured in the first minutes of RE2) and then the clock tower, hospital, park and the factory. All new locations and don't feel similar to the RE2 locations at all in my opinion.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    Not sure how anyone could think they don't feel similar at all. They could have combined them into one game and no one would have been the wiser.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They feel a bit similar, but since RE2 had awesome locations, being similar to those is actually a good thing IMO.

^ Top  
  10. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Played another couple of hours, up to reuniting with Sherry and falling down the elevator. Definitely enjoy the way you think carefully about different routes and entrances to take the safest or fastest approach to your objectives - really brought me back to Resident Evil 1 and some of the Silent Hill games where enemy placement was more important. There were some bits that are extremely difficult to get past without burning ammo and using the boards though, such as the west hallway on the first floor full of tight corridors and open windows. I think I managed to avoid passing it more than twice, but there's a bit of meta-knowledge involved there - otherwise you could easily end up in an unwinnable situation.

I was really confused by Lickers. I'd read everywhere that you can just gently edge your way around them, but every time I got close, my movement triggered them even if I was putting the slightest amount of pressure on the thumbstick. I just ended up using fire rounds on anything I couldn't instantly escape from, though I'm guessing flashbangs can incapacitate them for a while.

Mr. X was handled pretty well, though I wish he wasn't so predictable in smaller rooms where you can easily get him confused by minor obstructions and chest-high walls. Would prefer it if there were some scripted instances of him defying your expectations by smashing certain obstacles aside or crashing through weakened walls, making the player panic without putting them in insta-death scenarios. I'm curious regarding his footsteps and opening doors - was anyone able to tell his rough location from sound alone? On a pair of high-end IEMs I couldn't work out if he was above, below, or on the same floor as me - merely if he was extremely close, far away, or in the same room (from the rustle of his coat).

I disliked the bit in the orphanage where you control Sherry. It broke my concentration and engagement with the police station and was generally very much in the vein of "cinematic" Sony pseudo-stealth games. Should've been cut.

Still not a big fan of the facial models and animations. They look noticably worse on side-characters, as well.

I'll try to play another couple of hours tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TheRedSnifit Educated

TheRedSnifit
    Are they actually attacking you, or just moving toward you? I can get close to them with the standard WASD walking speed - they'll move to investigate the noise, but they won't actually attack unless they touch me or I start running.

There is one time this happens (at least in Leon's campaign) but I've seen a lot of people who missed it. I'm guessing you have to take specific actions to trigger it.

I did have trouble telling where he was based on his footsteps. There was one occasion where I was in the locker room and thought he was real close, and stood with my gun aimed at the door for like five minutes because I was expecting him to burst through at any second.

^ Top  
  12. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    They start moving towards me and screech, sounds like the music changes as well but it happens so fast I immediately unload a grenade to their face. How do you actually get around them if they move towards your position immediately? Do you just keep moving very slowly and avoid their own movement? How does that work in a corridor?

And yeah I had a similar experience with the doors - the first time I triggered him I ran back to the opening to Irons' office (with the straight line to the elevator). It sounded like he was bursting through the office door multiple times. After at least 2 minutes of waiting and listening I just started moving on my own and retreating if I saw him on the stairs.

^ Top  
  13. TheRedSnifit Educated

TheRedSnifit
    9/10 times by the time a licker hears my walking footsteps I'm already past them. Their "searching" state is mostly just there to scare you into running or attacking. There are a couple of times where a licker is scripted to attack, but I'm generally able to just walk by them unless a certain someone is right behind me.

^ Top  
  14. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Ah, fair enough. I usually spent an entire minute shuffling towards them and then get pissed that they seemed to activate once I was actually moving past them. After 2 or 3 instances I just started running or shooting them. Of course there are always scripted encounters like picking up a certain key.

^ Top  
  15. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I had same confusion with Lickers, wasted way too many fire shots on these fucks.

^ Top  
  16. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I'm really confused by the campaign structure to the game. Once I do finish "Claire A" or whatever your first playthrough with Claire is, what am I supposed to play next? Someone said the "B" scenarios are just harder but more truncated versions of the "A" campaigns with the focus on metagaming/speedruns/replayability, but I also read the "B" scenarios have the "real" endings to the game? I only really care about experiencing the main story/content, not replaying shit. Should I play Leon A or Leon B? Honestly if there's not much more content I might just leave it at Claire A. I certainly don't care about the Mercenaries/4th Survivor stuff.

^ Top  
  17. fork Savant

fork
  18. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Yeah but why?

^ Top  
  19. Viata Arcane

Viata
    [​IMG]

• incline x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • nice x 2
    • Old x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. fork Savant

fork
    Well, because it gets you a couple more differences than just playing Leon A would.
    There are still not that many differences, but enough to warrant this second run, imo.

^ Top  
  21. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Excited! x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Not as hot as real Ada from the game...

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    That guy has some other interesting experiments with camera hacks re: Mr. X

Seems like A: He teleports to the press room for that scripted wall-busting sequence.
    B: Once you pick up the lever crank, whilst he doesn't teleport per se, he moves at max speed to right outside the door. So effectively he is teleporting there, albeit not in the same way as the press room spawn.
    C: Gunshots do attract him but can also bug out his AI and actually cause him to spaz out. Running actually seems to be one of the most effective ways of attracting him to your direct position.

edit: Seems the embeds are messed up, weird. Anyway they just show Mr. X's behaviour whilst the player is performing certain actions

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Alright, finished Claire A. Game takes a nosedive in the sewers and labs. Much more linear, fewer routes, lots of bullshit scripted fights, simultaneously too many tight spaces filled with enemies but also massive open areas that are completely wasted. The station is definitely their matinee showing and got the most love (and likely playtesting), as well as showcasing the best of classic Resident Evil level design. Feels like everything after that point is just a lengthy epilogue they threw money at. And fuck that bullshit G2 fight on the tiny platform - G3 was a lot easier and G4 (whatever you call the fight where you're chased around the train car platform) never even touched me. I'd give the Police Station maybe 7.5 out of 10, but the later sections drag it down a couple of points.

Started a Leon B just to blast through and see the rest of the story but I feel like the game is pretty much done. Wait for a sale.

Oh, I forgot to mention the music is utter crap compared to the original and sucks all the atmosphere out of the game. The only song that even slightly moved me was the tribute to the classic save theme the first time you enter the dark room.

• Brofist x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    And that's not even the true version of the remaked song

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)