Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by TheHeroOfTime, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I can't be entirely sure but you might be right as to which version plays in the dark room (1st visit). They probably use dozens of little variations of it throughout the game anyway.

^ Top  
  2. retinoid Literate

retinoid
    Playing with the original OST is honestly essential. When I reached the basement for the first time I got serious chills with the OG music and the nearly pitch black environment. '98 RE2 had a couple of Lickers down there so I didn't know what the fuck to expect.

Also fuck the Kennel, I killed all the dogs in cages in anticipation that they would be released at some point, which they were, but not the ones which I killed.

Fuck you Capcom.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    The dogs were laughably easy compared to most RE titles. Easy to aim at, easy to stunlock, very low health, predictable animations. I suppose there was a concern the player might be out of ammo at that point or something. I mowed down everything in that section and was very confused when I got to the orphanage and Claire slammed the gate shut behind her as if being chased. It didn't seem like there was much momentum to that section. Perhaps Mr. X should've chased you for longer.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. retinoid Literate

retinoid
    It's not that I had any trouble with them, it was more the anticipation and paranoia of not knowing how/when they would be unleashed. I'll give Capcom credit for the build up, despite the dogs not being much of a problem in the end.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Yeah I wasn't referring to your experience, it just reminded me of the trouble I had with dogs in previous games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Swigen Learned

Swigen
    I honestly don’t even remember the kennel, for me it was the fucking morgue that freaked me out. I knew EXACTLY what was gonna happen but the whole thing with slowly pulling the bodies out of their cubby holes... I about shit my pants.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TheRedSnifit Educated

TheRedSnifit
    All the classic RE games kind of fall apart at the end, so it's kind of expected for me. The remake of RE1, as good as it is, has a bunch of puzzles in the lab that I've never bothered to complete without a guide simply because at that point the game's simply stopped being all that good.

I wonder how many survival horror games have actually good endings. I remember ZombiU - a mostly very flawed game - having an extremely strong end game in my opinion, maybe the strongest in the genre.

Edit: That said I do think the RE2 remake ended pretty strong (at least in Leon's campaign, haven't done Claire). The labs were pretty good, up until the final boss fights at least.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Wunderbar Magister

Wunderbar
    Dogs weren't much of a problem in older games too.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    lock on to dog, shoot with shotgun. Easy as pie

^ Top  
  10. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    [​IMG]

Time to play tofu survivor

• Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Button x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Wunderbar Magister

Wunderbar
    :autism:

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Egosphere Savant

Egosphere
    out of curiosity, what's your take on re7?

^ Top  
  13. TheRedSnifit Educated

TheRedSnifit
    This is like the exact opposite of how I felt. If you had asked me during my peak nostalgic, rose-tinted-goggles-days back in 2010 or so what the original RE2 was like, I would have described a game far more similar to the remake than the original RE2.

To each his own, but there are a couple specific points you made that leave me kind if scratching my head:

Compared to the original RE2? I legitimately don't think I've seen anybody ever suggest that the classic RE games had anything but dumb nonsense stories and silly writing until now.

Again, kind of a strange point of contention. One of the biggest criticisms of classic RE was that they relied on incredibly "gamey" and un-immersive things like the inane puzzles, the magic teleporting item boxes, the inventory system, the cripple-in-a-wheelchair controls, the giant monsters who are foiled by doors, etc. The remake still has most of that but I can't really think of any ways that it's worse in this regard.

The original RE2 is widely regarded as the easiest game in the franchise. The remake isn't very hard but I did find myself at least rationing ammo and using med sprays from time to time. In my first run through of the original, by the two-hour mark I was carrying more ammo than a CoD protagonist and not even bothering to carry healing items.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Ash is dumb in this regard and so is anyone that believed RE's story wasn't schlock but somehow this one that is better acted and animated is worse because reasons?

^ Top  
  15. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The Fear Effect games were the best in the genre... I've only played the original two, can't really say about the others

• Button Button x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123

The start of this vid illustrates what was probably happening with me with the lickers - I walked as slowly and carefully as possible around a grounded licker, but he seemed to "trigger" and the music changed intensity. That's just an "alerted" state and you can still keep going so long as you don't nudge him or make any other noise. I'm guessing he detects you if his tongue animation connects though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ash Arcane

Ash
    I played close to the end. I found it to be pretty mediocre and uninspired, but not terrible. Better than RE6 and better than the average modern game. Worth a play maybe but not worth a full price buy. 6.5/10 perhaps.

I also just completed REmake2 on hardcore with the original soundtrack enabled and on that basis I bump my rating up to a 7/10. Final opinion and it feels like a generous one, but I can't deny the gameplay is somewhat better overall and somewhat competent.

I'd just like to add that the final section of the game (Lab) is very disappointing. Linear as hell and boring. Also the freight container boss battle sucks ass. I actually found some of the other boss battles to be half-competent though, especially compared to the original game. And they shouldn't have removed the marshalling yard even if in the original it wasn't that great.
    Also bummed by the fact that plenty of the music is removed even with the classic music enabled, including the game's best track:

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Yet another example of incredibly dumb cutscenes.

Yes, the original was not a masterpiece of storytelling...but it wasn't fucking retarded either. And even in the original's stupidity it had B-movie charm. This has AAA game industry scripters and modern game engine cinematic "charm", which is pure shit.

To be fair I found the heavily scripted and heavily cinematic part of the game where you play as Sherry to be pretty well done by comparison though. There wasn't tons of retarded nonsense there that I noticed. It's not all bad.

^ Top  
  19. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    In the depths of his soul, Ash realised that he actually liked the new resident evil game. Still, he know he must prioritize his personal crusade against modern gaming at all costs.

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Off the forum and back to your nth autistic S Rank run of a sub-par game, faggit.

If I find the rare modern game actually worthy I will label it as such, e.g Dark Souls.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ash Arcane

Ash
    One last thing, I have already criticised the sound design of this game (e.g monster sounds are shit compared to original), but have you also noticed how almost all pistols use the exact same firing sound effect? And that the shotgun firing sound doesn't change when upgraded (e.g long barrel). Even the original had this.

Just triggers me is all.

First half of the vid is default shotgun, second half of the vid is upgraded shotgun. Sounds super sexy.

Edit: just noticed that the original sewers had sound reverberation while the new sewers don't even have that. Lazy remake.

I prefer a bunch of the weapons in the original (overall design)

Original shotgun > New
    Original Grenade launcher > New
    Original Spark Shot > New (by a very large margin)
    Original S.A.A > New

Otherwise I prefer the new counterparts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    The pistols have a very similar sound, but it varies between some of them. Matilda, the M19 and the character's Samurai edges sounds the same. The Samurai edge with unlimited ammo has a noticeably more deep firing sound. Claire's revolver and the Quickdraw army sounds are identical, but they sound slightly different than the automatic pistols. The SLS 60 sounds deeper too when you improve the weapon. And the magnum sound is unique between the pistols.

There's sound echo in the sewers. Like where the mobile bridge is. Just try firing the magnum inside and outside the save room. There's echo in other parts of the game too.

^ Top  
  23. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    From the playstation blog:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Who is "Goast" anyway? The only Umbrella security dude I recall apart from Hunk was the team in the co-op TPS. I know there was some sort of ninja cloaking guy but I don't recall his name, dunno if it's the same person or they just made up a new guy for no reason.

^ Top  
  25. Wunderbar Magister

Wunderbar
    Capcom should forget about ORC or Umbrella Corpse like it was a bad dream.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)