Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
If RE7 is a better game then I won't even waste my time playing RE2 Remake. Maybe if Capcom gives it for free someday.

In terms of gameplay, RE2R is quite brilliant. Lots of nuance and subtlety that took me a 3rd playthrough to really appreciate.
Like?

https://youtu.be/HBibAdNZ53U

this video already posted covers a lot of it.

sullynathan

Arcane
I beat this game 2 weeks ago. It was pretty good, albeit more than half as short as my first playthroughs of Remake & RE4. I didn't think it was as good as Remake, but it was still very solid on its own.

So today, I decided to replay it in the 2nd run mode that I unlocked using a bit of mods on Hardcore difficulty and gave Mr. X a Darth Vader look & made Claire 2B. I've been playing some horror-FPS like Doom 3 & F.E.A.R. but they don't have survival mechanics. Hardcore mode + Claire's perspective shifts the game to be very tense at all times. Zombies are quite aggressive and get up very quickly now, they are still difficult to dodge and they kill Claire in like two hits. Mr. X & Lickers spawned really early and I barely had any ammo to deal with them especially wiht the fact that ribbons are back now, so no more unlimited saves. People complained too much about Mr. X. There are certain story points that keep him from spawning, like finding the first 3 medallions to take you to the basement. After doing that, you can just explore most of the police station and he won't spawn, until you reach another story point when he spawns again.

The previous knowledge of a playthrough + the mix up of items/puzzles and starting at a different side of the Police Station makes for a very fast paced game of high risk and high reward unlike REmake. If it can keep this up by the end, it will just as good as REmake was.

2B has a nice glazed butt said:
0E5F14E2ABCBE46ECC4D7E59A140D1151E370E41
12E495ABDB2C42491B3282A6A2CF11B38A5C90F8
FA917636BB3331F6A983F09D7042D5BB03328622

Tehdagah

Arcane
If RE7 is a better game then I won't even waste my time playing RE2 Remake. Maybe if Capcom gives it for free someday.

In terms of gameplay, RE2R is quite brilliant. Lots of nuance and subtlety that took me a 3rd playthrough to really appreciate.
Like?

https://youtu.be/HBibAdNZ53U

this video already posted covers a lot of it.
I see neither nuances nor subtlety. Shooting a zombie's legs a few times and then using the knife to damage them when they are in the floor is just like RE4, except that in RE4 the ganados were diverse, came in big packs, could attack the player using different types of tools and suffered mutations, while the zombies in this remake seem to be all the same slow melee-only foes and instead of arena level design with enemies coming from different spots the levels are corridors with 1 or 2 zombies (same boringness as Revelations)

Also, "not knowing if you're damaging the zombies" is bad enemy design (lack of feedback), he's trying to spin it as a positive thing using the 'immershun' argument, like those Dark Souls fans who insist that the first mimic encounter was good because it "makes the world more unpredictable and dangerous". His whole video actually is about game design molded by atmosphere rather than by mechanics.

It really looks like a dumbed down version of RE4.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Shooting a zombie's legs a few times and then using the knife to damage them when they are in the floor is just like RE4 except that in RE4 the enemies were diverse, came in big packs and could attack the player using different types of tools, while the zombies in this remake seem to be all the same slow melee-only foes and instead of arena level design with enemies coming from different spots the levels are corridors with 1 or 2 zombies (same boringness as Revelations).
RE2 remake zombies don't drop anything valuable (in RE4 player was incentivized to kill ganados since they drop ammunition and healing supplies) and are bulletsponges (so killing them is basically wasting ammo), because of that just like in older games you better off avoiding them. RE4 levels were mostly linear, RE2 on the other hand allows you to pick different routes to get from point A to B through different cramped hallways. Finishing off zombies after knocking them on the ground with a leg shot is discouraged by durability mechanic. This way you either had to waste a ton of ammo to kill zombies , or had to memorize where was that zombie you've left alive earlier in order not to stumble upon him again when backtracking for a key item. It's a similar design to RE1remake, albeit not as great (in RE1 remake you also had to remember about crimsonheads).

Tehdagah

Arcane
Hopefully it's an actual game and not a $60 tech demo like RE7.

Lack of feedback? Really?

26c6dc50b7402cc8e0a860149cf7ccf4.gif
He aimed under his neck and the zombie's whole head was damaged wtf

RE2 remake zombies don't drop anything valuable (in RE4 player was incentivized to kill ganados since they drop ammunition and healing supplies) and are bulletsponges (so killing them is basically wasting ammo), because of that just like in older games you better off avoiding them. RE4 levels were mostly linear, RE2 on the other hand allows you to pick different routes to get from point A to B through different cramped hallways. Finishing off zombies after knocking them on the ground with a leg shot is discouraged by durability mechanic. This way you either had to waste a ton of ammo to kill zombies , or had to memorize where was that zombie you've left alive earlier in order not to stumble upon him again when backtracking for a key item. It's a similar design to RE1remake, albeit not as great (in RE1 remake you also had to remember about crimsonheads).
And yet the zombies still are all the same slow, melee-only foes with zero variation. And the levels still are corridors. And TPS RE is still better and more complex than old school RE.

Apparently it's a 4x1 multiplayer game.

Oh, maybe they're actually going to put that RE6 combat system to use after all. After Warframe, Space Lords, Anthem, World War Z, and Remnant: From the Ashes it's about time that Capcom got in on it themselves.

I see one of the characters in the background has a bat, if they're making melee combat a big thing I'd be surprised if it didn't at least play something like RE6 with it's stamina based melee system. That and bring the stanmina system into it would give you more to play around with if this multiplayer game has a upgrade system.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Oh, maybe they're actually going to put that RE6 combat system to use after all. After Warframe, Space Lords, Anthem, World War Z, and Remnant: From the Ashes it's about time that Capcom got in on it themselves.
Funny thing is, Resident Evil 6 combat system still shits on all of those games as being infinitely better. Normie tastes work in mysterious ways.

I've read that it's likely a successor to the Outbreak games

I'd be surprised if a multiplayer RE today takes on the same formula of the Outbreak games. Those were functionally just normal RE games with characters having stronger class type distinctions than single player RE games had. And they're short. If they're making a four player multiplayer RE game I'm guessing they want it to have a long tail like their Monster Hunter World game. If it was something more like Outbreak it probably would have been a mode or DLC for the Resident Evil 2 remake. The most it'll probably have in common with Outbreak is you're playing as normal people during, assumingly, the Raccoon City outbreak and you're trying to survive. But the form it takes I'm guessing will be way different.

I'd kind of expect one today to probably have areas more like Monster Hunter World or something. With other smaller areas where you can do stuff like The Mercenaries mode, that one Tower Defense mode from RE7, (unless making traps becomes a class/character specific thing) and Raid mode if the game in general doesn't have some form of it everywhere. Probably has a more fleshed out version of RE6's Agent Hunt too...especially since stuff like Dead by Daylight and Friday the 13th have come along.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just beat it in the 2nd run. Had a lot of shitty technical problems but all the G bosses were shit apart from G4.

Hardcore took me longer than normal so C rating.

Well it definitely looks like an action game. The teaser looks like Mercenaries mode, but with an opposition that releases monsters and controls a boss character like in in RE6 Predator mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom