Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

What you're failing to realise is that they didn't used a more traditional camera not because they were limited by tech but because they wanted to.
Those games, REmake specially, had every aspect of their design built with the fixed camera in mind. The controls, levels design, enemy design, enemy placement were all carefully considered around those camera placements. To the point that design is so refined that the game never is cheap about.
You don't have pinpoint accuracy in these games? Well shit you're not supposed to. You're not supposed to kill all zombies in the Spencer Mansion and you're not suposed to deal with any them in a confortable manner.
'Herr that's just dumb and artificial design'. No it's actually pretty well thought out design, without any unnecessary elements and a lot of work put into it. It's not by chance REmake is still one of the best games in the genre and the perfect example of a proper remake. The devs had a clear and specific vision of what the game experience should be, what aspects could enchance it and manged to deliver a very well polished gem.

Besides any moron can get properly accustomed to the controls in a couple of hours.

And what do you think that is?

That's a hot, hot list of big profile games bro! Those static camera tank control games are just fuckin' FLYING off the shelves! Can't keep 'em in stock!

By this reasoning then Fallout 4 and Skyrim are undoubtedly the best RPG's ever made and Doom cannot compete to the likes of the CoD games in quality.

Also back in their day they were big profile games that sold extenssively well. Shit RE4 still sells well to this day and it has tank controls.

Fanboys point blank rationalised the shitty bullet sponge zombies in REmake2 as "omg zombos so scurry now that I have to shoot them 12 times".

It's a remake of RE2 not RE4.

Last edited:

DayofBlow

Educated
It's a remake of RE2 not RE4.
People complained the old games were bullet spongy, but there was atleast a layer of abstraction in that you didn't have that much control where you were aiming, while the pinpoint TPS aiming keeping the HP bloat makes REmake2 feel quintessentially like dogshit.
Here's a novel idea, decrease the amount of resources overall, in your resource based risk reward game, instead of inflating the health of zombies. What does it take for people not to be retarded.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Amusing, but incorrect. My point is that these games are being made in the vein of old-school survivor horror games because there is an audience for those types of games.

If there wasn’t, REmake and RE0 or CVX wouldn’t have seen a re-release.

I never said there wasn't an audience, dingbat. I said the audience is driven by nostalgia. Also a list of a few games no one's ever heard of doesn't prove that audience has much power, and your continued insistence otherwise just proves more and more that you have nostalgia blinders on.

Also REmake came out literally 17 years ago, you hot on the edge of modern trends expert you.

Adon

Arcane
Amusing, but incorrect. My point is that these games are being made in the vein of old-school survivor horror games because there is an audience for those types of games.

If there wasn’t, REmake and RE0 or CVX wouldn’t have seen a re-release.

I never said there wasn't an audience, dingbat. I said the audience is driven by nostalgia. Also a list of a few games no one's ever heard of doesn't prove that audience has much power, and your continued insistence otherwise just proves more and more that you have nostalgia blinders on.

Also REmake came out literally 17 years ago, you hot on the edge of modern trends expert you.

That’s not what I was responding to tho. I was referring to specifically to the post I quoted where you act if there was 0 games being made in this style. I responded to prove otherwise and that’s it. That some of these games are made with the budget of a shoestring and a pack of gum and nonexistent marketing is irrelevant.

Also just for clarification, I didn’t get into RE until after RE5 after my teenage years so no, I’m not driven by nostalgia.

As for the REmake comment, way to miss the mark.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Resident Evil 4 never did that. They throw the Chainsaw Guy at you. The Jason ripoff. You know those classic names for monsters like Tyrant, Nemesis, Mr. X? Chainsaw Bag Guy is what we started getting since Resident Evil 4.
So I guess fucking Regenerators and the entire Las Plagas parasite line up in 4 somehow don't count? I get they aren't as boldly shown off on the cover or adverts as Dr. Salvador but neither was the Tyrant in RE1 or Mr. X during the initial release of RE2. Nemesis was literally the big advertising point of 3 to the point where it was the subtitle and all he was was a big dumb retard with a rocket launcher half the time who turned into a retarded blob at the end if I want to be as hyperbolic as you are with the current state of survival horror.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The HP of the zombies in REmake 2 is perfectly fine. Their damage resistance + their unexpected agility in some situations + the impossibility of knowing if a zombie is gone for good it what makes them more dangerous than ever before.

When enemies are easy to kill they lose their value as an individual enemy. That's why in action games like RE4, they have to throw you the enemies in groups because that's the only way of making them dangerous. And when that game wants to scare you or make you tense, it throws you an individual that can resist a lot of damage (Dr.salvador). Or even in some cases they are inmortals (Regenerators) and the only way of dispatch them is through shooting them in specific places.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Resident Evil 4 never did that. They throw the Chainsaw Guy at you. The Jason ripoff. You know those classic names for monsters like Tyrant, Nemesis, Mr. X? Chainsaw Bag Guy is what we started getting since Resident Evil 4.

So I guess fucking Regenerators and the entire Las Plagas parasite line up in 4 somehow don't count? I get they aren't as boldly shown off on the cover or adverts as Dr. Salvador but neither was the Tyrant in RE1 or Mr. X during the initial release of RE2. Nemesis was literally the big advertising point of 3 to the point where it was the subtitle and all he was was a big dumb retard with a rocket launcher half the time who turned into a retarded blob at the end if I want to be as hyperbolic as you are with the current state of survival horror.

The Regenerator and Las Plagas are more like this:

iu

Than this:

iu

It's not about the cover as much as how those enemies are used in the game. Sure, Tyrant was not the main threat in Resident Evil 1. But he was what they made a huge action figure out of which I bought. Resident Evil 2 had a main monster threat for each player. 3 was more personal so she got 1. Code Veronica was the game they started tossing random shit in.

My friend brought his brand new Dreamcast over just so we could play it. It ended up being good just due to the graphics. Code Veronica and Resident Evil 4 introduced the blobby tentacle monsters in force. They also introduced the secondary stalker mechanics. Meaning you have this thing chasing you for a little bit, then this other thing, then this thing, because they couldn't figure what monster to make the main threat. Kinda like how they tossed Tyrant at the end of Veronica after running from the Bandersnatch most of the game. They knew that blob monster design was shit.

iu

This guy was pretty cool. I had to look his name up it was so memorable. But really he was cool.

But they didn't really lead with him. They went with Trolls and Bag Man.

iu

The reason I liked it at the time is because zombies were getting overdone. Then they overdid the Plagas virus bringing us back to where we are now. Resident Evil 4 is better than 5 and 6 so there is that.

Those who oppose me:

iu

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That’s not what I was responding to tho. I was referring to specifically to the post I quoted where you act if there was 0 games being made in this style. I responded to prove otherwise and that’s it. That some of these games are made with the budget of a shoestring and a pack of gum and nonexistent marketing is irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant when the entire point is that it's not a popular mechanic in modern games?

Anyway this is a silly and repetitive argument. It's like going to a reddit group dedicated to steak and preaching veganism. Old school RE fans are not gonna want to hear that static cameras and tank controls suck ass, but hopefully you at least have the ability to see they're not that popular in general. Whether that's because the majority of people are retarded, or whether they're right and you're nostalgia blind, it doesn't really matter much in the end. If you genuinely enjoy that shit though I wish you a resurgence someday, like isometric RPGs got. I just won't be buying them. :P

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People complained the old games were bullet spongy, but there was atleast a layer of abstraction in that you didn't have that much control where you were aiming, while the pinpoint TPS aiming keeping the HP bloat makes REmake2 feel quintessentially like dogshit.
Here's a novel idea, decrease the amount of resources overall, in your resource based risk reward game, instead of inflating the health of zombies. What does it take for people not to be retarded.
I think it's fine for zombies to be bullet spongy. At the risk of repeating myself, I strongly recommend playing this game with no HUD. This brings back the feeling of every shot mattering as it's very easy to miss constantly. Compared to putting a reticle over the face and shooting it 60 times, it's way less boring.

I said the audience is driven by nostalgia.
Okay, instead of just contradicting you, I'll try looking at what you're actually saying. So what is nostalgia? It's the pleasure of recalling an earlier time of life, perhaps a wistful longing to return to childhood. It's being reminded of something else you used to like, not liking the thing itself.

When I see a cool camera angle in a game, I do not think, "Oh, this reminds me of good times when I was a kid." I do think, "Wow, cool camera angle, nice atmosphere." That's it. I'm not reliving my childhood; I'm enjoying the present moment for what it is. That is absolutely not nostalgia. Unless you're going to flat out call me a liar on this, I don't see how your theory has a leg to stand on.

When enemies are easy to kill they lose their value as an individual enemy.
You say that like it's a bad thing. In a zombie game, it's good if individuals are unmemorable.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
At the risk of repeating myself, I strongly recommend playing this game with no HUD. This brings back the feeling of every shot mattering as it's very easy to miss constantly. Compared to putting a reticle over the face and shooting it 60 times, it's way less boring.
it's a third-person game where you can't aim down sight, how the fuck are you supposed to play it with no hud?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Okay, instead of just contradicting you, I'll try looking at what you're actually saying. So what is nostalgia? It's the pleasure of recalling an earlier time of life, perhaps a wistful longing to return to childhood. It's being reminded of something else you used to like, not liking the thing itself.

When I see a cool camera angle in a game, I do not think, "Oh, this reminds me of good times when I was a kid." I do think, "Wow, cool camera angle, nice atmosphere." That's it. I'm not reliving my childhood; I'm enjoying the present moment for what it is. That is absolutely not nostalgia. Unless you're going to flat out call me a liar on this, I don't see how your theory has a leg to stand on.

Tried to end this debate above, but just to answer your question in a dictionary way: I'd say nostalgia in this context is liking something because you enjoyed it as a younger person, rather than because it is a genuinely better method. No one's doubting you like what you like.

JDR13

Arcane
At the risk of repeating myself, I strongly recommend playing this game with no HUD. This brings back the feeling of every shot mattering as it's very easy to miss constantly. Compared to putting a reticle over the face and shooting it 60 times, it's way less boring.
it's a third-person game where you can't aim down sight, how the fuck are you supposed to play it with no hud?

Laser sights?

JDR13

Arcane

Tried to end this debate above, but just to answer your question in a dictionary way: I'd say nostalgia in this context is liking something because you enjoyed it as a younger person, rather than because it is a genuinely better method. No one's doubting you like what you like.

Dude, you've just been repeating the same thing over and over in your typical argumentive fashion. Truth is, you have no fucking idea what other people like or dislike or if someone only likes something out of nostalgia. Stop trying to speak for others. You've made it clear that you don't like an isometric camera. Cool, now move the fuck on.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd say nostalgia in this context is liking something because you enjoyed it as a younger person.
Then you're agreeing with me on the definition. Brofist.

But I don't like good camera work because I liked it when I was a kid.

I like good camera work because good camera work is good.

So am I a liar? Or are you suggesting you understand my motivation better than I understand it myself? Gonna need to see your psychology certificate on that one.

If you want to stop debating, nobody's twisting your arm. Just stop. But if you're going to keep calling me stupid - and make no mistake, that's what you're doing - I'm not going to accept it unless you at least make an argument I can't knock down with a feather.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Laser sights?
there is one one weapon with laser sight.

JDR13

Arcane
Laser sights?

Depends which game you're talking about. RE 4 used laser sights throughout the entire game. They should have stayed with that instead of switching to a crosshair in the later games, imo.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Laser sights?
Depends which game you're talking about. RE 4 used laser sights throughout the entire game. They should have kept that instead of switching to a craosshair in the later games, imo.
i was talking specifically about RE2 remake.
Laser sights everywhere is immersion-breaking for me, it's a rare thing especially during 90s. RE4 got away with it due to its cheesy tone, but REmakes are way more grounded and serious.

JDR13

Arcane
Laser sights?
Depends which game you're talking about. RE 4 used laser sights throughout the entire game. They should have kept that instead of switching to a craosshair in the later games, imo.
Laser sights everywhere is immersion-breaking for me, it's a rare thing especially during 90s. RE4 got away with it due to its cheesy tone, but REmakes are way more grounded and serious.

A laser sight is more immersion-breaking to you than a big white crosshair floating around in thin air?

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Holy fuckin hell! You are transcending normal retard-ness and moving into some new territory.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Dude, you've just been repeating the same thing over and over in your typical argumentive fashion. Truth is, you have no fucking idea what other people like or dislike or if someone only likes something out of nostalgia. Stop trying to speak for others. You've made it clear that you don't like an isometric camera. Cool, now move the fuck on.

I already tried to end this circle-jerk of denial bro, you guys keep quoting me anyway.

If you want to stop debating, nobody's twisting your arm. Just stop. But if you're going to keep calling me stupid - and make no mistake, that's what you're doing - I'm not going to accept it unless you at least make an argument I can't knock down with a feather.

Jesus, I'm not calling you stupid. Nostalgia effects everyone's preferences, including mine. It's a fact of life. You saying "I really like it!" doesn't refute what I'm saying at all, because my point is about why you like it. I respect your opinions more than most on this site, so stop being so fucking butthurt.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
You say that like it's a bad thing. In a zombie game, it's good if individuals are unmemorable.

Resident evil isn't just a zombie game. Is a horror game. And if the monsters of your horror game aren't mechanically interesting or memorable then you have a problem.

resident-evil-hd-remake-gif-gameplay.gif

As I said, that works for action games, like Left 4 dead for example. Where the zombies aren't a threat by themselves, only when they are thrown in waves. And the dangerous ones are the "elite" zombies.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Laser sights?

A laser sight is more immersion-breaking to you than a big white crosshair floating around in thin air?

One is an item in the game world and one doesn't exist within the game world. Surely you can understand the difference?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Holy fuckin hell! You are transcending normal retard-ness and moving into some new territory.
crosshair is a thing we are already familiar with, it's pretty much in every game, we got used to it.
Laser sight is a diegetic element, and it would've looked stupid to have it fitted on every gun in some backwater town during 90s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom